New Sync Strike - Available Now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fagin

New Sync Strike - Available Now!

Post by fagin »

From the guys that bought us the mighty SLG3000 comes their latest device, the Sync Strike!

Background to this project came about by the requirement to have a device that was able to convert a composite video signal from a SCART RGB source, primarily to a composite sync signal (CSYNC). This was to enable a retro RGB SCART device to be hooked up to something like the CGA2VGA scaler. Using this specific scaler would then enable a user to feed the line doubled image from the CGA2VGA scaler in to the SLG3000. The cut a long story short, enable a retro console to be displayed on a current gen screen.... but with appropriate scanlines.

The SLG3000 master thread can be found here -> http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33454

The CGA2VGA discussion thread can be found here -> http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35423

Few "off the shelf" devices exist that enable you to convert a SCART RGB connection to what is required for the CGA2VGA scaler. The SCART connection being one "crippler" and the actual sync cleaner circuit being the other. Getting this all in one device that you don't have to "build" yourself is the key here.

The Sync Strike also has some other things "tucked up it's sleeve".........

Image Image Image

Sync Strike enables:
SCART RGB input
DSUB15 output
Breakout (via screw terminals) of R, G, B, HSYNC, VSYNC, CSYNC, L & R audio
L & R Phono breakout
Power (switchable) - By either SCART PIN8 (caveats apply) or EXT PSU via screw terminals
CSYNC or HVSYNC output (switchable)

Price and availability
28 euros (£24.50)
Order via http://www.arcadeforge.de/

Sync Strike has been handed out to a few "testers" to see how it performs.

Here are my current findings from my test unit based on connection to a Tri-Sync monitor:

First off unit is solid and very neat (that is fairly clear from the images).

The unit works well.... initally tested with a PS2 with SCART RGB (5v @ PIN8).

Using SCART PWR & CSYNC - Works
Using SCART PWR & HSYNC - No Sync (but only just)

Using EXT PSU @ 6v & CSYNC - Works
Using EXT PSU @ 6v & HSYNC - Works

Looking at the PS2 output it only provides +5v on PIN8, so I suspect the HSYNC IC needs that extra 1v.

This is all going in to a Tri-Sync CRT via the DSUB15 out.

Dreamcast is +12v on PIN8 so:

Using SCART PWR & CSYNC - Works
Using SCART PWR & HSYNC - Works

Pretty much a full success in my view.

Minimal 6v will provide both sync cleaner and HV output. Circuit will take at least 12v.

Since there is switchable PWR from PIN8 on SCART or EXT PSU capability I would suggest all bases are covered.

The circuit will provide bare minimum of clean sync (it's core purpose) at 5v+ via PSU or PIN8 and then gives you the choice of extracting HV Sync via either >6v (normally 12v) via PIN8, or EXT PSU @ 6v.

I will retest on the CGA2VGA scaler, but I don't see any reason why the core results will be any different as that basic test has already been done by the developers.

This device will not replace a line doubler / scaler, which will be required if you want to feed a non 15khz compatible screen. It will work in conjunction with a line doubler / scaler to feed a HD screen (for instance). However it will enable you to feed a 15khz device without the need for anything else (Arcade Monitor etc).

The uses are fairly wide reaching as I have just tried the Sync Strike with my EXTRON 580xi. Voila..... taking a SCART RGB from my Dreamcast (480i signal) routed through the Sync Strike, gives me the pseudo 240p image from the EXTRON to my CRT. So that's SCART RGB (480i) to Clean Sync DSUB15 to EXTRON to CRT for some sexy 240p video.
Last edited by fagin on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sparda

Re: New Sync Strike - Sync Cleaner and HV Sync Splitter

Post by Sparda »

Wow ^^ cant wait to try this new gem :D

@Fagn: did you make some progress with the HDBox Pro ?
Capoz

Post by Capoz »

This can be usefull with example NEO GEO - SYnc STRIKE - XRGB-3?

My all problem with xrgb-3 and neogeo I think that are for the sync, maybe this can help me
fagin

Post by fagin »

Sparda wrote:@Fagn: did you make some progress with the HDBox Pro ?
Not yet sorry.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Capoz wrote:This can be usefull with example NEO GEO - SYnc STRIKE - XRGB-3?

My all problem with xrgb-3 and neogeo I think that are for the sync, maybe this can help me
Possibly (let's be positive lol)......

I will pull my AES out at the weekend (it's in storage at the moment) and see if I get a problem with the XRGB-2+ and then see what happens with the Sync Strike in between.

There are a couple of other "testers" and hopefully they will have this set-up and can test before I get a chance and report back.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I'm not sure the Neo Geo/SMS Converter problems reported in the XRGB3 thread are down to sync, I tried a Keene Syncblaster and it did not fix my problem, still, definitely worth a try with this new device. Someone in the Amiga community was trying to build something to deal with systems that outputted strange frequencies too, see http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/downloads/S ... iagram.png
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Fagin, thanks a lot for your findings :))

Finally the last work before release is to change to some parts :

- HSYNC and CSYNC switch will be replaced with a Jumper. CSYNC is default. Normally I wanted to skip the HSYNC at all, because it not really needed. But after your finding I`m tending to keep it.

- Case : Cases are ordered in transparent. The case will be done in two acryl layers with cut outs for the screw terminals and switch. The PCB has four mounting holes with diameter 3.3mm for M3 screws.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Just to relate to a "discussion" on the use of the HSYNC IC you have used and the effect that a 12v supply would have on this circuit in total.

When the Dreamcast was connected (+12v on PIN8 being used):
The CRT still showed a picture regardless of whether the sync was C or H, so I assumed that meant that HV sync was working correctly even with the 12v feed. The circuit failed (HV Sync) to provide a sync to the monitor when in H SYNC mode @ 5v via PS2 (C SYNC mode worked though), but then gave a sync at 6v via ext PSU. If the HSYNC IC had blown with the Dreamcast I would not expect a sync with HSYNC switched regardless of source.

Unless I am missing something (always possible lol) I'm suggesting this PCB will take +12v without blowing anything on the PCB.
fagin

Post by fagin »

I can confirm personally that the Sync Strike works perfectly with the CGA2VGA scaler (PS2 tested).
fagin

Post by fagin »

Just double checked my previous "thoughts" on the query of blowing any part of the PCB with a 12v feed (proceeding my 12v feed test from the Dreamcast):

Reconnected the PS2 to the tri-sync monitor without external PSU. This provided the Sync Strike with 5v from the PS2 PIN8.
Results: CSYNC - Stable Video, HSYNC - Unstable Video.

Disabled PIN8 pwr and fed the Sync Strike 6v from external PSU (previous tests shows 6v+ is required to power both sync cleaner and HSYNC IC's).
Results: CSYNC - Stable Video, HSYNC - Stable Video.

No blown components I would suggest! 8)

Note: To add to my previous test of the CGA2VGA scaler. You don't need to use the VGA header now (sounds obvious, but worth mentioning). My tests related to a DSUB15 from Sync Strike to DSUB15 on CGA2VGA scaler. Very tidy and totally "Plug and Play".
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

I'll be ordering one of these (at least) for sure. Any idea on the price?
Don't bomb. DON'T BOMB.
Damn! Should have bombed.
fagin

Post by fagin »

I'm sure bencao74 will be able to make comment on the price. 8)
fagin

Post by fagin »

bencao74 wrote:HSYNC and CSYNC switch will be replaced with a Jumper. CSYNC is default. Normally I wanted to skip the HSYNC at all, because it not really needed. But after your finding I`m tending to keep it.
If it reduces the costs significantly it maybe an option to remove. The core requirement was always to provide a CSYNC.... HSYNC is an added (and perhaps fairly limited) feature.

Just a thought.
Almighty

Post by Almighty »

Looks awesome guys!

Can't wait and will make some pictures when it's working. (NES, SFC and Megadrive)

Cheers :D
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

I'm sure bencao74 will be able to make comment on the price.
yes, prices, always diffcult

- PCB Unit without case = 28€

Orders will be taking right now via PM or ArcadeForge Contact Form. I`m working on the online order page to simplify this process.

Please state your adress, e-mail and how many units you want.

Case is in work...
fagin

Re: New Sync Strike - Available Now!

Post by fagin »

That is a very reasonable price imo for a well built "plug & play" solution. 8)
Shakey_Jake33

Post by Shakey_Jake33 »

fagin wrote:
bencao74 wrote:HSYNC and CSYNC switch will be replaced with a Jumper. CSYNC is default. Normally I wanted to skip the HSYNC at all, because it not really needed. But after your finding I`m tending to keep it.
If it reduces the costs significantly it maybe an option to remove. The core requirement was always to provide a CSYNC.... HSYNC is an added (and perhaps fairly limited) feature.

Just a thought.
Just my own opinion, but I'd say it would depend how much the price difference is. If we're simply talking a couple of €, I suspect most people wouldn't mind paying the extra to have that fallback just in case.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

okay, I`ve finished the order page

http://www.arcadeforge.de/?page_id=880

I was trying to take the complete tool chain into account.

Starting at a rgb scart console output until LCD picture with scanlines. So I hadto include

- Sync Strike
- Scaler cga2vga
- SLG3000

For the complete chain I`ve added a product called DIY scaler kit, which has a little discount ordering all devices.
trunk

Post by trunk »

Ordered the Sync Strike!

I already have the slg3000 and the cga2vga scaler. Looking forward to see the "Total Package" combination.
Current Setup:

720P------------------------v
240P->XRGB-3->Edge->4x2 matrix->DLP HDTV
480i/P->YPbPrselect-^ . . ^ . . V-->hdmi2vga->Super Emotia->Tate CRT SDTV
PC->vga2hdmi-------------^
Sparda

Post by Sparda »

Just ordered one unit ^^

One question...the case will be available soon ?
lunch_box

Post by lunch_box »

Sorry for the n00b question but does this connect snes/n64 rgb output into scart connector and then vga into CGA >VGA scaler and then VGA out to SLG3000?Monitor??

Or do you have to wire the sync strike into the cga > vga scaler via the header??

thanks for any advice
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Connection is this

Console-- rgb scart cable> sync strike--vga cable> scaler--vga cable --> slg

You dont have to use the headers
fagin

Post by fagin »

Confirmed working with the DVDO EDGE. :)

The beauty is this provides a better image on the EDGE instead of feeding it a normal RGBs straight from RGB SCART. The seperation of sync provides a better image (thanks to BuckoA51 for pointing this out on the DVDO EDGE thread).
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

Would this do anything for an xrgb 2? I normally use the front scart input, but I assume I can feed a 15khz signal into the back, right?
fagin

Post by fagin »

Nope. That is for passthru only.
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

:idea: bencao74, as you're also selling the CGA2VGA as part of a complete solution, how about offering a case for that too, in the same 2 acryl layers style? Having all 3 devices in similar style cases would truly complete the chain.
Don't bomb. DON'T BOMB.
Damn! Should have bombed.
Almighty

Post by Almighty »

stuntman wrote::idea: bencao74, as you're also selling the CGA2VGA as part of a complete solution, how about offering a case for that too, in the same 2 acryl layers style? Having all 3 devices in similar style cases would truly complete the chain.
yeah! +2 8)
lunch_box

Post by lunch_box »

stuntman wrote::idea: bencao74, as you're also selling the CGA2VGA as part of a complete solution, how about offering a case for that too, in the same 2 acryl layers style? Having all 3 devices in similar style cases would truly complete the chain.
+1 :D

What are the results like using the sync strike, CGA2VGA and SLG300 with a N64, SNES, MD etc??
Almighty

Post by Almighty »

I will post some pictures (SFC, Megadrive) when i received my sync strike with the slg-3000+CGA/VGA :)
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

Someone please make a JP SCART to EU SCART converter! :)
become history