The Supergun discussion and Q&A thread.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
xavierjesus

Re: The Supergun discussion and Q&A thread.

Post by xavierjesus »

Q's answered over at AO. Cheers guys. Laterz.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Awwww yeeeaaaaaah son, Vogatek Mk II arrived today

wildchild22

Post by wildchild22 »

Cann some one tell me what the difference in http://cgi.ebay.ca/Arcade-supergun-moth ... 3a65637ab4

this then the other vogatek's?

like a comparison between models 1 2 3 4 5
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

I can't remember the specifics of each model, but I was able to find the appropriate one for my needs by just reading the descriptions on eBay.

Main differences are video output/adjustment/connections and joystick connections.

If you view the seller's "other items" list, you can see all 5 models:
http://shop.ebay.ca/arcade-blazer/m.htm ... 4340.l2562
wildchild22

Post by wildchild22 »

so for vogatek with neo geo harness and scart output I need a version 4?
(that is what it looks like)
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

wildchild22 wrote:so for vogatek with neo geo harness and scart output I need a version 4?
(that is what it looks like)
Not sure what you mean by "neo geo harness" ? The Mk IV has two DB15 connectors for NeoGeo joysticks or pads. If you're referring to the extra test and select buttons for a NeoGeo MVS then all the models have terminals to connect those.

So, if you want to use original NeoGeo joysticks or pads and don't want to have to do any custom wiring, get the Mk IV. The Mk V is the same but has a terminal block for the joysticks, which is perfect if you want to build a custom stick.

Post by 777 »

shmuppyLove wrote:So, if you want to use original NeoGeo joysticks or pads and don't want to have to do any custom wiring, get the Mk IV. The Mk V is the same but has a terminal block for the joysticks, which is perfect if you want to build a custom stick.

So is it possible to use a PS2 Arcade Stick via a NeoGeo Converter on the MK IV or would this combination lead to problems?
I have one custom made PS2 Arcade Stick which I use on every console with the fitting converter from Tototek. Would be nice if I was able to use this Stick on the supergun too.
wildchild22

Post by wildchild22 »

It should work fine.

777 wrote:
shmuppyLove wrote:So, if you want to use original NeoGeo joysticks or pads and don't want to have to do any custom wiring, get the Mk IV. The Mk V is the same but has a terminal block for the joysticks, which is perfect if you want to build a custom stick.

So is it possible to use a PS2 Arcade Stick via a NeoGeo Converter on the MK IV or would this combination lead to problems?
I have one custom made PS2 Arcade Stick which I use on every console with the fitting converter from Tototek. Would be nice if I was able to use this Stick on the supergun too.

Post by 777 »

Another question:

I've read that it isn't possible to run every Jamma PCB on a normal 50/60Hz TV and you need something like a RGB encoder. Is this really necessary or am I able to run every Jamma PCB on my normal 50/60Hz TV when I use the Vogatek MK IV?

Post by 777 »

Another Vogatec related quastion:
Is it possible to run a Sega STV mainboard on a Vogatec supergun?
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

777 wrote:Another Vogatec related quastion:
Is it possible to run a Sega STV mainboard on a Vogatec supergun?
I can't think of a reason why not, looks like a pretty basic cartridge-based JAMMA motherboard a la CPS, SPI, MVS, etc.

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=711

They have a PDF of the manual on system16 if you want to do a more detailed check.
mojo

Post by mojo »

777 wrote:Another question:

I've read that it isn't possible to run every Jamma PCB on a normal 50/60Hz TV and you need something like a RGB encoder. Is this really necessary or am I able to run every Jamma PCB on my normal 50/60Hz TV when I use the Vogatek MK IV?
It depends on the board and the TV. A lot of Jamma boards use odd frequencies like 57.5Hz which not all TVs can deal with. One of my TVs is fine with it but another always displays the on-screen channel ID when an odd frequency is detected.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

So I've gotten everything working perfectly with my Vogatek Mk II except for audio.

I haven't tried connecting anything yet, because I don't have a set of passive speakers.

Can I go directly from the minijack on the Vogatek to the stereo audio input on my TV? I think I remember reading the answer was "Yes", but you have to make sure you turn the volume on the TV all the way down, because it's an amplified output, not line-level like the TV is expecting.

Then I just use one of these guys to connect, am I on the right track?

rolins

Post by rolins »

Got back into building another supergun and want try adding 1kΩ pots on the RGB lines.
I'm searching through Digi-key and Mouser and I can't really find what I'm looking for.

Anyone care to post links to where I can buy 1kΩ pots and matching Red, Blue, Green knobs? Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind I found them. :)
mojo

Post by mojo »

shmuppyLove wrote:Then I just use one of these guys to connect, am I on the right track?
Should be fine, just turn the volume on the game PCB right down first, hook it up and then slowly bring it up. There is a fairly large sweet spot where you get plenty of signal and no distortion, which you can then use the TV's volume control to set at the level you want.
dosucol1

Post by dosucol1 »

A bit more advice needed!

I'd like to use something like a laptop power supply ,like i do with my cmvs (it has the 5Vcc mod),so i can just plug it directly into a jack in the case of my SG .I'd prefer to buy a small 12Vcc power supply (regulated)@ 5 amps and then to get the other jamma +5Vcc rail ,either build an potential divider ,use a simple voltage regulator or just buy one of those tiny +5Vcc power supply boards.

So ,is it an AC or DC supply i need ?
What amperage is each of the jamma's 12Vcc and 5Vcc rails ( or can i just buy a 5Vcc regulator @5 amps or greater )?

mojo

Post by mojo »

I'm afraid a potential divider or simple linear regulator won't work. A potential divider is unregulated and both options have very high current flowing through them, so basically they will overheat and burn up. 5A is quite a bit for a single regulator, even a switch mode one. If you want to do it you will need to build a good switch mode DC-DC converter that can handle at least 5A. Something like a LM338K.

Alternatively you could get a PicoPSU. The advantage of that is that you get a -12V supply that can be easily dropped to -5V with a normal 7905 regulator.
dosucol1

Post by dosucol1 »

After looking at the price for one of those pico psu,i think i'll just go with another jamma psu instead !
mojo

Post by mojo »

Yeah, I don't blame you. A suitable PSU can be had off eBay for under £10 and it is then a simple enough matter to create a DIN or XLR terminated cable for it.
dosucol1

Post by dosucol1 »

mojo wrote:Yeah, I don't blame you. A suitable PSU can be had off eBay for under £10 and it is then a simple enough matter to create a DIN or XLR terminated cable for it.
Yeah,it's going to be XLR this.

What would the correct size of ring/fork crimp terminal be,that fit around the screw teminals on the jamma psu's below ?
dosucol1

Post by dosucol1 »

Right,i looked for the model of that jamma psu and came to
http://www.meanwelldirect.co.uk/product ... efault.htm

Then i had a shufty around their site and found what looks to be exactly what everyone would prefer to use with their super gun ,a small laptop sized psu,which is an 100w ATX in a small case and with enough amps on each rail (but it's missing -5Vcc)
Finding one for purchase is the hard part though.

mojo

Post by mojo »

That PSU looks okay, and you can generate -5V with a 7905 regulator and heatsink. The standard 1A version should be fine unless you need it to be really really loud :)
rolins

Post by rolins »

That'd be #8 (22 - 18 gauge). Just bought a pack today actually. :)
dosucol1 wrote:
What would the correct size of ring/fork crimp terminal be,that fit around the screw teminals on the jamma psu's below ?
dosucol1

Post by dosucol1 »

mojo wrote:That PSU looks okay, and you can generate -5V with a 7905 regulator and heatsink. The standard 1A version should be fine unless you need it to be really really loud :)
Just have find who sells that psu ,as i can only find distributors !
rolins wrote:That'd be #8 (22 - 18 gauge). Just bought a pack today actually. :)
Good man!
rolins

Post by rolins »

I can't seem to figure this out. I installed an internal 8ohm speaker in my supergun, and a stereo-mini jack for audio out to my TV. What kind of toggle switch do I need to switch between the internal speaker and stereo mini-jack?
dosucol1

Post by dosucol1 »

Using an attenuation circuit ? A DPDT double pole double throw switch.
rolins

Post by rolins »

Cool, I'll check Radioshack later for that.
Yup the audio-out will have an attenuation circuit so I don't blow up my TV speakers. :)
dosucol1 wrote:Using an attenuation circuit ? A DPDT double pole double throw switch.
dosucol1

Post by dosucol1 »

dosucol1 wrote:Right,i looked for the model of that jamma psu and came to

Then i had a shufty around their site and found what looks to be exactly what everyone would prefer to use with their super gun ,a small laptop sized psu,which is an 100w ATX in a small case and with enough amps on each rail (but it's missing -5Vcc)
Finding one for purchase is the hard part though.

Well, i found a place that would sell me a 100w ATX PSU and this is the quote for 1(one ) £151.67 :shock: :lol: :shock:
rolins

Post by rolins »

Last night I finished putting together my supergun, and I realized there's still some room for other things. One piece I left out were panel mounted fuse holders for +5v and +12v lines which I see in alot homemade superguns. For ATX power supplies, sure, its probably a good idea but I'm using an arcade psu. Are fuse holders really that necessary?

This the psu I'm using http://www.happcontrols.com/powersupplies/80021000.htm
mojo

Post by mojo »

I'd stick fuses in just to be safe. You might accidentally case a short somewhere or get a damaged board that will nuke the first time it is plugged in. The PSU you have will have some safety features to prevent it catching fire etc. but it could still easily cook the board. Unlikely but fuses and holders are what, a couple of quid max?