RQ: Dodonpachi Stage 3

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
RNGmaster

RQ: Dodonpachi Stage 3

Post by RNGmaster »

I'm generally pretty boss at this game, but one thing is holding me back from a 1-loop. Playing as A-L, the bullet cancelling section in Stage 3 is almost impossible to crack with my existing strategies. Strategically bombing is a must at at least 1 point, considering the density and the speed of the ship, and I generally end up using all 3 bombs. The trouble with this is that there's one other point later in the stage (start of the orange ship with the enemies firing spread shots) where I tend to bomb. I can't 1-life this stage unless I change my strategy on this section.

So where should I be shooting? Where do the ships that delete bullets appear? Where should a survival player bomb?

Everything else, even the stage 4 boss, I'm pretty good at. But here, I always manage to waste at least 1 life.
EPS21

Re: RQ: Dodonpachi Stage 3

Post by EPS21 »

Maybe you're not moving around enough, because the ships I think you're talking about (that teleport out of nowhere en mass) have some bullets that follow you, so you'll want to not stick in one place. And with A-L ship, its better to stream left and right often with the laser to kill more things faster.

Also, when you kill the big ships that cancel the bullets, you get more points when you cancel more bullets when its destroyed :D
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Oh, they're aimed? Never noticed that. I try to kill them quickly, but the main problem is the locations of the big ships - often I end up walled off and on the wrong side. I just need to memorize order, I guess.
spl

Post by spl »

My advice is take out the turrets and guns on the big ships as soon as they appear. This way you only have to worry about the bullets from the many small ships.

Hang around the top of the big ship and keep tapping down as the bullets come towards you from the other ships. Just before you get hit - laser the big ship to cancel all the bullets and STRAIGHT AWAY start lasering the small ships on the side of the NEXT big ship to appear. When the next big ship comes down - immediately take out the turrets and guns again and leave the main body - rinse repeat.

Not sure if my description is good but basically just to take out as many small ships on the same side of the big ship you are tackling currently. This way you can sort of herd the bullets from the other side and give you enough delay for more small ships (which dont fire yet) to appear ABOVE the big ship - so when you destory the big ship you are straight away attacking the small ships that have spawned just beforehand. I basically just try to take out as many small ships as I can while the bullets are cancelled and nothing is shooting.

PS. If you are not worried about score - just take the stuff out as quick as possible! When the new ships spawn, just kill the big ship to get rid of the bullets and just kill whatever you can! Remember the SHOT of A-L is very piercing and can kill those small ships straight away point blank - faster than engaging the laser if it's not already out.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

I'm having trouble with this section myself. I've been playing with the A-L ship lately as I find it easier for me to cut through the onslaught of tanks in stages 5 and 6. However, at this part of stage 3 I can't seem to get into a consistent rhythm. I find that the spread from the small tanks leave very few gaps in a clear line, making it difficult to get to the larger tanks to cancel the bullets.

WHAT GIVES?!?!
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Thanks, Zengeku.

He does make one mistake here, though. Look at 1:25, when he kills the first big ship. For both scoring and survival, you're going to want to wait until the next set of ship spawns and starts firing before you kill off the bullet-deleting ship - this way you can get a squidload of points and you have an opportunity to kill the next set of spewers before they totally fill the screen.

It's also important to memorize where the next big ship is going to come from, and then make sure you only kill the spewers that aren't directly in front of it. Then, sneak behind the remaining spewers, kill off the extra parts, wait for the next wave, and blow up the big ship. Repeat.

Sneaking behind the spewers can be a bit dangerous, so I'd suggest using savestates to practice.
ncp

Post by ncp »

Older thread, but I played this game for a good while before I ever realized this part was important for score. RNGmaster mentioned it, but I think it should be emphasized just how many points you can get from this section. As A-L use shot to tear through them as they teleport in, and laser aura if they're to your sides or behind. You can see a good example of A-L in PROMETHEUS' video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffx_N-NkArQ#t=6m45s

aaaand here's a version for C-S that I made myself, since I couldn't find a good C-S on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDDQE1xVhEY

Glance at your score before you go into this section. You should come out with roughly 10m more afterward, assuming you have a max bomb bonus flowing. That's 1/5th of the 50m loop requirement for less than a minute of dodging.
Ridley

Post by Ridley »

Here is my tip for the A-L Ship, just for a safely survival:

Destroy the first wave of the small ships as fast as possible like in Prometheus’ video.

Then destroy – again in a fast way – the turrets and guns on the first big ship and the appearing small ships by flying left and right side as needed. Now shoot the small ships as soon as they appear and destroy the big ship right at the last moment.

Now kill small ships ASAP , stay on the left side and destroy the 2 cannons on the big ship's left side (to make this side less dangerous) and the appearing small ones at the left side before they can shoot their bullets. Stay left, fly up and by tapping fly slowly down to avoid the bullets from the right side.

After destroying the 2nd big one, shoot small ones and kill the 3rd big ship to cancel all the bullets when needed. Then stay at right side and kill the appearing small ones and the guns on the 4th big ship. When the small ones appear on the left side the guns on the big one should all destroyed (the small top one could still be intact because it’s not so dangerous).
Shoot the small ones on the left side and destroy the big ship right at the last moment and then fly immediately to the left again to kill small ones and move to the right side as the small ones appear. There shouldn’t survived many of the small ones and so you should have enough space to avoid the few left bullets.

If you can manage this strategy you won't need bombs and this part becomes a pretty easy section of stage 3.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Yeah, I finally figured out a survival strategy for Stage 3 No Miss. These games are harrrd.