What's the best Xbox 360 Arcade Stick so far?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
KindGrind

Re: What's the best Xbox 360 Arcade Stick so far?

Post by KindGrind »

Wavey Pavey wrote:I myself don't like the white of the EX SE so i modded an EX.

Seimitsu stick and buttons :)

I prefer the quicker response of the Seimitsu to a JLF but would say try them both.
You had to de-solder the stick to put in the Seimitsu, right? I hear the stick on the HRAPEX doesn't use the 5-pin connector a HRAP3 for PS3 uses to quickly disconnect it from the PCB... I'm I wrong?

So I bought a HRAPEX because I got it for cheap. Thoughts, the pastic film on it is very weird, unclear if it's meant to be taken off. I do think so because mine was peeling a bit.. Anyways. Problem, it seems the film was put on the stick before the buttons, so I have to wait till I remove the buttons -which I'll do- to completely get rid of the plastic stuff. A bit stupid.

Question: Do some people around here play competently with a JLF? I mean, I feel the throw is a bit long on it and all... If people told me it's way tougher than with a Seimitsu, I may feel like changing, but if it's only a matter of taste/practice, I'll keep practicing :smile:
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

KindGrind wrote:
Wavey Pavey wrote:I myself don't like the white of the EX SE so i modded an EX.

Seimitsu stick and buttons :)

I prefer the quicker response of the Seimitsu to a JLF but would say try them both.
You had to de-solder the stick to put in the Seimitsu, right? I hear the stick on the HRAPEX doesn't use the 5-pin connector a HRAP3 for PS3 uses to quickly disconnect it from the PCB... I'm I wrong?

So I bought a HRAPEX because I got it for cheap. Thoughts, the pastic film on it is very weird, unclear if it's meant to be taken off. I do think so because mine was peeling a bit.. Anyways. Problem, it seems the film was put on the stick before the buttons, so I have to wait till I remove the buttons -which I'll do- to completely get rid of the plastic stuff. A bit stupid.

Question: Do some people around here play competently with a JLF? I mean, I feel the throw is a bit long on it and all... If people told me it's way tougher than with a Seimitsu, I may feel like changing, but if it's only a matter of taste/practice, I'll keep practicing :smile:
Yes, the wires on the HRAP EX are soldered on. What you can do to more easily replace the stick is simply pull the wires off (be sure to mark the direction for each pair since they aren't labeled), strip the ends, and then attach .187" quick disconnects to them. Then when you add an LS-32 or other stick, you simply attach the wires to the proper microswitces, no soldering needed. It's what I did when I modded my HRAP EX. And yes, the plastic film can come off.

As far as competency with a JLF, I can play shmups fine with one, but it just doesn't have the same response or feel that I like from my LS-32s.
xris wrote:After a recent bout of analog agony on ps2, I'm gettin a stick. For the 360 though. The SE looks like a good stock model. Has anybody tried to mod this for dual systems? Say, a saturn? is't possible?
Yes, the Madcatz SE stick is common ground, and thus easily dual-modded with other common ground PCBs (I believe most Saturn controllers are). The stock stick is alright, though I would recommend swapping it with a LS-32-01.
Veran

Post by Veran »

Probably getting the Hori EX SE for both PC and Xbox 360.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Awesome thread. Just purchased a HRAP3 SE although I could not find it below 115 dollars. Still worth the money it seems from all the positive word about it.
phobos

Post by phobos »

has anyone here used a Gopodular stick? As the idea of having one quality stick for PS1/PS2/X360/SS/DC and PC is awfully tempting...
Where the fuck is the patch for Dodonpachi DOJ!!
spongdangly

Post by spongdangly »

phobos wrote:has anyone here used a Gopodular stick? As the idea of having one quality stick for PS1/PS2/X360/SS/DC and PC is awfully tempting...
I've never heard of this stick before, quite frankly it seems like a rip off since it starts at $225 and then charges you $55 per system cartridge. I recommend getting a HRAP or Madcatz TE and then swapping the pcb with a MC Cthulhu. This will give you support for every system except Xbox 360. You're able to add a common ground 360 pcb but this is an advanced mod.

I plan on using a MC Cthulhu with a Madcatz Retro PCB (common ground 360 pcb) and IMP.
These are the guides I'll be using: Installing an MC Cthulhu and Imp in an Xbox 360 SF4 SE stick and RJ-45 MC Cthulhu+ IMP+ Xbox 360 Dual Mod Tutorial Diagram

*Note* This is an advanced mod. Since I have no experience soldering or making cables I bought some things to make this easier. I got a pre-made RJ45 cable for the MC Cthulhu and RJ45 Console cables from NiteWalker on Shoryuken and a Padhacked Madcatz Retro PCB

I plan on making a guide when I'm done.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Yeah, it looks like all they've done is create a project box stick and are selling each component for insanely high amounts. I did the same with another stick of mine with DB15 connectors, VHS cases, and controller PCBs for various systems.
syn13

Post by syn13 »

General best Xbox arcade stick is hard to say now going into 2011 since in recently with the influx in popularity with fighters, Madcatz has stepped up their game in their sticks whereas Hori has had to competitively price their sticks against Madcatz as well as other companies emerging as well(Qanba).

Aside from Madcatz and Hori, I have to stress out how well a small China company is doing with their series of sticks for Xbox/PC and PS3/PC line up in sticks and would strongly recommend the Qanba RAF3 for the 360. For what you're paying for, you're getting way more than what you would with Hori and Madcatz:
-Wood case(11lbs stick)
-Compartment for cord
-Plexi-glass
-Sanwa parts(JLF stick, 8x30mm white buttons and 6x24mm white button)
-Fabric metal plate(for those who plays with their sticks on their laps)
-Common ground PCB
-Quick disconnects
-Turbo function as well as control inversion option(dunno what's it for unless you can play with the stick upside down for lefties).

Aside from that, value wise it would be the HRAP EX SE which I would think is the shmups' preferred equipment and it's currently really really cheap. Other than that, it's HRAP or TE or if you got money to blow, the HRAP VLX Premium(which looks like Hori ripped out the CP from a Taito Vewlix cab though it has been said to be slightly smaller in comparison).

I'm not sure about the best low budget sticks since the Fighting Stick V series are out but the Madcatz SE sticks are easily swappable without any soldering or grinding much like the FS3 sticks.
1. Dual Modded Qanba Q3 RAF with Seimitsu LS-56/Sanwa OBSF-30 buttons
2. Dual Modded Hori Real Arcade Pro Premium EX VLX with Seimitsu LS-56/Seimitsu PS-14-KN buttons
KroeboCop

Post by KroeboCop »

I have a MVC TE edition stick for my 360 and PC, I use it for SF3rd and Shmups, I didn't like Sanwa so I ordered LS-32-01 (Seimitsu) but that was not good enough. I need the tightest Seimitsu stick and what is that? :)

Edit: Ok It is a LS-56 I need, then I will do this to my stick and it will be perfekt :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTzRY0l0Jek
Last edited by KroeboCop on Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Down For The Count!
dannnnn

Post by dannnnn »

xris wrote:After a recent bout of analog agony on ps2, I'm gettin a stick. For the 360 though. The SE looks like a good stock model. Has anybody tried to mod this for dual systems? Say, a saturn? is't possible?
I realise your post is almost a year old, but in case you're still wondering, yes this is possible. I've recently had my SE stick dual modded for the Saturn. The best thing about it is that with various adapters, I can use my stick on pretty much every console I want to.
Observer wrote:WELCOME TO VIOLENT CITY. That's all the storyline I need.
whoozwah

Post by whoozwah »

I'm really considering buying the HRAP EX-SE next time I see it go on sale. I've looked all over and I can't seem to find the answer to this question though. What is the actual stick that's being used? The only info I can find is "all Seimitsu parts". I can't find a detailed spec sheet of this stick anywhere. If anyone can answer this question for me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks :)
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

It uses a Seimitsu LS-32 stick and PS-14-G buttons.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

This might not be the place to ask, but I have been quite curious as to what parts the SF IV stick for the 360 uses? Got it at a steal, and wouldn't mind modding it
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

The SE uses chinese garbage, the TE uses sanwa sticks and buttons.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Zapf wrote:The SE uses chinese garbage, the TE uses sanwa sticks and buttons.
How do I tell the difference? I'm so new to arcade sticks. Its the Mad Catz one.
whoozwah

Post by whoozwah »

drunkninja24 wrote:It uses a Seimitsu LS-32 stick and PS-14-G buttons.
Right on. Thanks for the info.
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

dunpeal2064 wrote:
How do I tell the difference? I'm so new to arcade sticks. Its the Mad Catz one.
SE

TE
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Zapf wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:
SE

TE
Thats too bad. At least its somewhere to start.
Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 »

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to get the EX-SE shipped to the UK. I'd really like an arcade stick for the 360 now but I can't find this one anywhere.
bcass

Post by bcass »

I'd like to know the answer to the above question too. Everywhere in the UK seems to be sold-out.

Also, could someone please post the dimensions of the HRAP EX-SE?
bcass

Post by bcass »

Also, what do people reckon to the customs that VGI are selling:

http://www.videogameimports.com/get_hw.php?product=1149

Very expensive, but very heavy and seemingly well made.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

EX-SEs seem to be pretty much done - they're not available on Amazon US either, so it's likely they simply aren't produced anymore.

I imagine the dimensions would be identical to the Real Arcade Pro 1/2/3 and the bulk of Hori's licensed sticks (Tekken 5, Arcana Heart, etc) since they use the exact same case.
SunJammer

Post by SunJammer »

StarCreator wrote:EX-SEs seem to be pretty much done - they're not available on Amazon US either, so it's likely they simply aren't produced anymore.

I imagine the dimensions would be identical to the Real Arcade Pro 1/2/3 and the bulk of Hori's licensed sticks (Tekken 5, Arcana Heart, etc) since they use the exact same case.
i just picked up a HRAP EX-SE from Arcade Shock, seems they have a limited number left so this could be the last chance to get one new
http://www.arcadeshock.com/
-SD-

Post by -SD- »

I'm currently using a HRAP V3 SA on the PS3 and a VX SA on the 360. Awesome sticks, well worth the money.
Thjodbjorn

Post by Thjodbjorn »

I Really love the design of those sticks! I do wish that Microsoft didn't insist on the face button colors, though.
Veran

Post by Veran »

SunJammer wrote:
StarCreator wrote:EX-SEs seem to be pretty much done - they're not available on Amazon US either, so it's likely they simply aren't produced anymore.

i just picked up a HRAP EX-SE from Arcade Shock, seems they have a limited number left so this could be the last chance to get one new
http://www.arcadeshock.com/
I also picked up one of these sticks...they're near impossible to find in a legitimate shop now, online or not. -eagerly awaiting package in mail-