Shmups, Youtube, and Konami

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Gerk

Shmups, Youtube, and Konami

Post by Gerk »

Yesterday I decided to upload a video of me playing Parodius to YouTube.

Less than half an hour later I received a copyright warning, stating visual content by Konami had been identified in the video.

Now, I'm realistic and I understand Konami's not gonna bust down my door and serve me legal documents. Given the sheer volume of -dius videos online, I'm pretty sure it won't get taken down or even ad-crippled.

But, does this pose any kind of hazards to one's account? Certainly someone here has had had similar experiences.

Apologies if this post weighs in a bit too heavily on the off-topic side, but I figured this would be the best place to ask.

EDIT: WHERE IS MY WALLET?
Last edited by Gerk on Mon May 30, 2011 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
DJ Incompetent

Re: Shmups, Youtube, and Konami

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Content ID system is an asshole.

Be happy Konami is letting your video stay. You got ad-crippled tho. Every company has several options on how to deal with violations. Most choose to throw ads on your vid. Some will still mute or block your video outright or by country.
They're making ad revenue off your stuff now. That's why most companies even bother with that ID crap.

My vids haven't done so well. Years before you needed to have 3 outright removed videos before your account was banned. Partial or crippled movies don't count against you. I have so very many of them.

I see they finally ditched the Forgotten Worlds ban on youtube. Good for them. Yo Rob. Put dat Pro Review back up.
Gerk

Post by Gerk »

I remembered hearing Konami was actively taking down gameplay videos and people complaining about it, but to be fair, these were pretty much all Bemani players, and when you post screen-captured videos of a music game being played very well (or on Autoplay) it's just about the same thing as uploading straight MP3s.

As for the ads, they haven't appeared for me yet (or for me on private browsing mode, i.e. logged out.) How bizarre. I might just pull the video - I just made it to see how my capture videos get handled on YT anyway.

And, thank you for the swift response. :D
Austin

Post by Austin »

I have had three videos being tagged like yours. All Konami games, too. Gradius III, Castlevania IV, and Castlevania. The later two are reviews or longplays with a commentary, heh.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

The ID system is slowly becoming an abuse of power, i can understand that on Movies and music labels like WMG, but removing a videogame video clip is quite exaggerated. How the hell is a gameplay video gonna hurt Konami? It's like they're ready to go "All Metallica" on us, kinda reminds me of J. Jonah Jameson from Spider-Man "I like that, Green Goblin. I want a quarter everytime someone says it"
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

It's not about the video 'hurting' Konami.
It's about Konami (and other companies) looking to make money off work (the creating, capturing, playing, uploading) that wasn't done by them.

For anyone unfamiliar with youtubes content ID system, watch this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_EamVE1 ... e=youtu.be

This is the kind of corporate bullshit that's only going to serve as the fuel for SOME SORT of revolution ---or at the very least, as impetus for the creation of a successor to the internet. (See Diaspora)
alamone

Post by alamone »

I wouldn't worry about it - all my Gradius vids got tagged by Konami but they haven't taken them down or anything.
All I get is an e-mail (in Japanese) saying that there's a possibility that some content in your video contains content from Konami, but they never really did anything after that. In fact Youtube keeps bothering me to do revenue sharing for my videos (which I don't do of course).
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

I had this happen with a Rolling Thunder 2 superplay. The Copyright Nazibot flagged it, but Namco seems to have not given a damn.

The revenue sharing thing came up for me as well on some KOF XI single player vids with a lot of views (a score attack, and another one showing Magaki being defeated). I didn't go for the revshare thing either.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

But does that affect your video length priviledges?

I wouldn't want to upload any Gradius stuff if it would cost me my over 15 minutes.
apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

I have a pathetic small channel. I don't think any vid has had more than 300 views and I have a whopping 1 subscriber but my channel gets hit pretty hard with the copyright notifications.

Most of the time they just block my vids from being seen in other countries.
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

FWIW, one of the Gradius videos I recently uploaded got flagged (I was wondering if this was due to the fact that it opens with a very prominent Konami logo, heh). It's not blocked in any country, but it is subject to small ads. It looks like I can still upload videos that are over 15 minutes.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

None of my videos have of yet been flagged.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

While I havnt had any copyright issues with the few vids I have (I never will as theyre doujin replays) Im quite dissmayed to read how shitty it is getting just for ppl to upload harmless gaming videos. If I start uploading commercial gameplay vids in the future and have any trouble with blocked vids (ads I can put up with). Ill probably just give my videos goble-de-gook titles, make them private and just use hotlinks for other sites to find my stuff, hopefully that should avoid the copyright nazis.

Can private videos still be embedded on other sites like google blogger?
Austin

Post by Austin »

Chaos Phoenixma wrote:But does that affect your video length priviledges?

I wouldn't want to upload any Gradius stuff if it would cost me my over 15 minutes.
No, the only thing that happens is ads are slapped on the "infringing" videos.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

It happens to me too (Gradius I, II, III AC, III SNES, Rebirth), although it is pretty strange to me because not all of segments are tagged, only a few of them. It'd be one thing to have a blanket tag on all of my Gradius videos but this inconsistency is weird :?.

Either way Konami are dicks about this, I have posted many different games on my channel and only my Gradius videos get tagged, assholes. Content ID is bullshit for game videos anyways.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Seahawk wrote:It happens to me too (Gradius I, II, III AC, III SNES, Rebirth), although it is pretty strange to me because not all of segments are tagged, only a few of them. It'd be one thing to have a blanket tag on all of my Gradius videos but this inconsistency is weird :?.

Either way Konami are dicks about this, I have posted many different games on my channel and only my Gradius videos get tagged, assholes. Content ID is bullshit for game videos anyways.
Are they making you take the content down? No. They're not being dicks about it.

They're being dicks about the bemani stuff because they HAVE to be due to music licensing.
Gerk

Post by Gerk »

Most Bemani stuff is produced in-house so there's not a lot of external licensing (there is on some songs, but they lie in the minority.)

Either way, like I was conjecturing above, it makes perfect sense for them to chop down such videos exhibiting music with clarity from a music game.

And I took my video down - It was a test effort, really bad and nonrepresentational, and some fools thumbs down'd it, so I took that as a sign :3

Plus if they wanna get petty, they don't deserve my $0.0000000001703. ;P
system11

Post by system11 »

My HCU video was tagged - again Konami.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Are you guys being tagged manually or is Content ID getting an automatic match? Content ID will match content automatically with whatever criteria the record holders provide - there's some footage from a Taiwanese variety show on my YouTube account that was flagged automatically, though it didn't amount to much beyond the initial notification.

An amusing way to get around Content ID is to flip your video horizontally and instruct viewers to use a mirror to watch it.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Your wallet is in the car, under the seat.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
Annoyboy

Post by Annoyboy »

Yeah, it sucks. All of my Gradius and Parodius videos from years ago have been hit with this. It's so nice to know they only give two shits about these franchises when their fans are committing the serious crime of trying to encourage other people to play them.
So, are we expected to turn our TV on its side?!
Game Collection | 1CCs
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Still would like to know if you guys are being flagged automatically or not - if it was automatic, I'd take it less as a personal attack and more that Konami just happened to provide Content ID with flagging criteria recently. I have little issue with it as long as they have the "let the video be but show ads" option set - that's a possible revenue stream that they'd be dumb to ignore.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

I doubt its an autoflag, mainly because my Gradius/Parodius/Otomedius videos have not been flagged.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

StarCreator wrote:An amusing way to get around Content ID is to flip your video horizontally and instruct viewers to use a mirror to watch it.
A firefox extension that is able to flip the videos again while viewing would be pretty nifty.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

If you are getting ads on the videos, it's definitely an auto flag.

Auto flags are a lot better at picking up non lets play gameplay pure screencaps then actual screen filming.

An auto flag ad NEVER counts as a strike, so upload away. :)

If you upload gameplay of a bemani game, and you record the audio and video directly from the game, you can very well expect it to get taken down, because that is not fair use. The copy is perfect, the entire song/video/stepchart is copied, it's a work of entertainment (nature of work test), the use is commercial (enters a giant forum of commerce), and giving people the song for free does cause harm to the copyright holder. This is worth a strike.

If you film the tv screen, then they won't care so much, because it becomes a degraded copy, and useless for people to use to recreate simulations of the game. With such a video the four main fair use tests are an even split. Nature of work still fails, and commercial use test fails, but the other two pass, which calls for a finding of fair use.

Yes, it's kinda cheezy slapping ads on superplays that aren't already being sold, as they are almost certainly fair use when not of music games, but the ad revenue goes to the copyright holder.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

The music game argument completely disregards the fact that, in the case of the majority of Konami's music games, the mere fact the game is being played by a human makes the music a degraded copy because the timing won't be perfect and imperfect timing changes the performance of the music. I'm also not buying how song videos and stepcharts are somehow more copyrightable than, say, platformer level design and onscreen artwork assets.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

StarCreator wrote:The music game argument completely disregards the fact that, in the case of the majority of Konami's music games, the mere fact the game is being played by a human makes the music a degraded copy because the timing won't be perfect and imperfect timing changes the performance of the music. I'm also not buying how song videos and stepcharts are somehow more copyrightable than, say, platformer level design and onscreen artwork assets.
And your argument completely disregards the fact that most of the videos on youtube that are direct captures are autoplay enabled or autoplay hacked, depending on game, so they are perfect because they do lack the imperfect timing changes that someone playing the game would introduce.

Well, consider Stepmania and what it has done for the Dance Dance Revolution community, simultaneously consider what it has done to Konami's profit margin. Gamers don't buy what they can get for free.