RQ: Gradius III(Arcade) Big Core Mk. III Strats and Recovery

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Chaos Phoenixma

RQ: Gradius III(Arcade) Big Core Mk. III Strats and Recovery

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

I've been playing Gradius III Arcade a lot more recently, and I've gotten to the point where I can pretty consistently get to the final stage 3 checkpoint and usually this boss at least once. I'm using Type B as it's the best choice. I would like to get farther in this game, but Big Core Mk. III is a huge wall for me.

It does not matter what I try against it.

I can't seem to do the option trap because I can never get my options in the correct position mainly due to never getting the top hatch killed and therefore having to stream the enemies from it. I'm not even sure if killing the hatch is actually required to do it either.

If I try to kill it normally, I die to either bouncing lasers or the attack that it does when you destroy the front 2 cores.

If I try to win via timeout, the boss just crashes into me.

If I try to win via timeout while not going under or above it, I die to the bouncing lasers since they're very fast and I can't read them quickly enough. If I shoot to lag the game some then I might destroy the 2 cores, then I move up or down into the bouncing laser while trying to dodge the other lasers, which is why I can't kill it normally.

I really need a 100% certain strategy, or if not that then the safest possible method(s) to take this thing out. I've really enjoyed the game up to this point and really do want to play more of it instead of just the exposure to later levels from videos. But this boss being a complete wall makes things a little annoying. I used to have the same problem with bubble stage, but I find that fun now. Maybe if I have a reliable strategy for this fight, then I'd find the fight more enjoyable.

On Recovery from it:

It does seem possible, though I haven't survived long enough to see if it would actually work.

If you're not able to kill the enemies in the part before the boss due to being underpowered, does the screen start scrolling once the umbrella things leave the screen, or does it start scrolling while they're still there? I've been able to get from the checkpoint until the part with the enemy hatches and umbrella things if I die at this checkpoint with use of 1 speed up, then getting missiles, and if it's possible to survive the enemy rush with that, I could pick up a second speed up from the power up enemy at the bottom, then attempt to time out the boss and power up in High Speed. If the screen starts scrolling once the umbrellas are done, then it should be survivable even with such low power, but if it does it before, then I'm not sure if I should bother trying to recover then.
dieKatze88

Re: RQ: Gradius III(Arcade) Big Core Mk. III Strats and Recovery

Post by dieKatze88 »

Chaos Phoenixma wrote:I've been playing Gradius III Arcade a lot more recently, and I've gotten to the point where I can pretty consistently get to the final stage 3 checkpoint and usually this boss at least once. I'm using Type B as it's the best choice. I would like to get farther in this game, but Big Core Mk. III is a huge wall for me.

It does not matter what I try against it.

I can't seem to do the option trap because I can never get my options in the correct position mainly due to never getting the top hatch killed and therefore having to stream the enemies from it. I'm not even sure if killing the hatch is actually required to do it either.

If I try to kill it normally, I die to either bouncing lasers or the attack that it does when you destroy the front 2 cores.

If I try to win via timeout, the boss just crashes into me.

If I try to win via timeout while not going under or above it, I die to the bouncing lasers since they're very fast and I can't read them quickly enough. If I shoot to lag the game some then I might destroy the 2 cores, then I move up or down into the bouncing laser while trying to dodge the other lasers, which is why I can't kill it normally.

I really need a 100% certain strategy, or if not that then the safest possible method(s) to take this thing out. I've really enjoyed the game up to this point and really do want to play more of it instead of just the exposure to later levels from videos. But this boss being a complete wall makes things a little annoying. I used to have the same problem with bubble stage, but I find that fun now. Maybe if I have a reliable strategy for this fight, then I'd find the fight more enjoyable.

On Recovery from it:

It does seem possible, though I haven't survived long enough to see if it would actually work.

If you're not able to kill the enemies in the part before the boss due to being underpowered, does the screen start scrolling once the umbrella things leave the screen, or does it start scrolling while they're still there? I've been able to get from the checkpoint until the part with the enemy hatches and umbrella things if I die at this checkpoint with use of 1 speed up, then getting missiles, and if it's possible to survive the enemy rush with that, I could pick up a second speed up from the power up enemy at the bottom, then attempt to time out the boss and power up in High Speed. If the screen starts scrolling once the umbrellas are done, then it should be survivable even with such low power, but if it does it before, then I'm not sure if I should bother trying to recover then.
Practice against the Gradius V and Gokujyou Parodius versions, they're slightly more forgiving which gives you time to learn how to deal with the boss properly.

Remember though that Gradius V's hitbox is tiny and the game is pathetically easy compared to <other Gradius game here>, so practice more on Gokujyou Parodius. Gokujyou Parodius also does some different things with that boss, like trying to ram you all the time, so you should be able to learn to dodge the timeout ram using that.

The Gofer sisters in Otomedius are a similar boss that fires at MANY different angles and the laser angles change dynamically during the boss fight, if you're having a lot of problems with the angle lasers, that would be the boss to practice against.
Chaos Phoenixma

I don't even have Gradius V, but that would give me a good excuse to try out that particular Parodius game in MAME. I have played Parodius Da! some in MAME, but outside of that I haven't messed much with this side series. Which stage is that game's version in?

Still could use some advice about the fight because I would still put some effort in even while messing with other games.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Chaos Phoenixma wrote:I don't even have Gradius V, but that would give me a good excuse to try out that particular Parodius game in MAME. I have played Parodius Da! some in MAME, but outside of that I haven't messed much with this side series. Which stage is that game's version in?

Still could use some advice about the fight because I would still put some effort in even while messing with other games.
Stage 3. You can creditfeed Parodius, they don't have a lock on the maximum number of continues.

Its standard bigcore, the trick is knowing when not to be shooting (Hint: During the angle lasers) because the death shots will murder you.
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

I like the time-out method. Since the bouncing lasers always follow the same pattern, you can know in advance where it's safe to park your ship.

For each reflect laser, you want to:
1) Camp in position A or B (see further down)
2) Stay horizontally aligned with the boss' "nose"

Position A. Imagine a vertical line between "MISSILE" and "DOUBLE" on the item bar. Basically, the Vic Viper should be centered with this line.

Position B is directly in front of the nose.

Here are the positions you should take for each set of reflect lasers:
Set 1: A, A, B, B
Set 2: A, B, B, A
Set 3: A, B, A
Set 4: same as set 2

After each set, the boss will retract the big beams that cage you in. This is your cue to move to the bottom until the next set is about to begin. While waiting at the bottom, you can go ahead and align yourself with the imaginary vertical line (since position A is the initial safe spot for the first four sets). After set 4, go to the bottom (stay within the boundaries of MISSILE and DOUBLE) and wait there until the boss dies.

Never move to the right half of the screen during the fight. This can cause the boss to alter its behavior somewhat and possibly compromise the above strat. If you're fully powered, feel free to cause slowdown in moderation. A scant few pixels at the very front of your sprite can safely touch a reflect laser. This doesn't hold for the back of the sprite (the slightest touch = death).

I have a pretty reliable way of getting spread bombs and an option during recovery. With autofire, this is more than enough for the umbrella horde. There's also a way to survive the pre-boss section while underpowered. I'll see if I can record clips of both methods tomorrow. Regardless of how you handle the umbrellas, you can time-out the boss just as you would while fully powered (the reflect laser pattern doesn't change at all).
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Here's how I recover. Something to note that might not be immediately obvious--when you spawn at this checkpoint, a single blue-ship-that-chases-you will be in play. I usually encounter it near the beginning of the checkpoint. If you don't see it right away, it might come as late as the umbrella fight. Try to leave some space between your ship and the far left of the screen.

If you arrive at the umbrellas without an option, you're still okay as long as you're using an autofire delay of 3 or lower. Just fire your regular shots and missiles and you should be fine.

If you're not using any kind of autofire and don't have an option, I recommend this method.
Chaos Phoenixma

That really helps on the recovery part. Sometimes I'll get some of the turrets that move around which obviously ruins things, but if they don't show up, then that method works.

Still haven't actually managed the boss yet. I did almost pull the option trap method on one try, but I messed up the positioning which ended in not killing the back core or weakening it down enough then me dodging the laser spam afterward until I got hit by one I didn't even notice.

Maybe I'll do a savestate run to get some practice states before I start seriously trying again.
mastermx

Re: RQ: Gradius III(Arcade) Big Core Mk. III Strats and Reco

Post by mastermx »

I have been grinding this boss for a while. And I have gotten pretty good at killing him without the time out method. I align my options with his cores, and fire away. I pay attention to pattern of the lazers as i hit the cores. After he's finishing one of his lazer patterns, and only just after he's near the end, I make sure to destroy the last second core. This way those bouncy lazers aren't in the way as I dodge his final phase. I abuse the game's slowdown to help and avoid the bullets in this segment. There's still plenty of chance for error. But I have never been able to get the timeout method to work for me.

I also found this online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VgDZ8opAPI

This method has never worked. Not sure if the poster of that video has the game on default arcade settings or not.

I might try what saucy kabold posted.

EDIT: (10minutes later) Just tried the method posted by saucy, and it works more consistently than my dodging. But I must say, I do feel cheesy using it. But I guess, when playing gradius 3, cheese is a prerequisite.