RJ45 MC Cthulhu Guide

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Trevor spencer

RJ45 MC Cthulhu Guide

Post by Trevor spencer »

I want to build a PS2 project box and think using a MC Cthulhu PCB is the best idea but has anyone got a wiring guide on how to wire a RJ45 jack to the PCB ?

Also what parts id need and guides on how to wire XBOX,GC & PS1/2 Controller leads with RJ45's ?

Thanks
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
emphatic

Re: RJ45 MC Cthulhu Guide

Post by emphatic »

Trevor spencer wrote:I want to build a PS2 project box and think using a MC Cthulhu PCB is the best idea but has anyone got a wiring guide on how to wire a RJ45 jack to the PCB ?

Also what parts id need and guides on how to wire XBOX,GC & PS1/2 Controller leads with RJ45's ?

Thanks
I would just give you a quick link to the guide over at the srk forums, but they've "upgraded" their forum, so most old links are now dead.

facepalm.jpg

There is useful information here: http://shoryuken.com/forum/threads/the- ... vor.46572/ but as you'll notice, the link to the RJ45 mod isn't working (right now anyway).

Anyway, the gist is this:

1. You take an RJ45 female cable and wire it to the MC Cthulhu as instructed.
2. Then, for each cable from a system's controller you'll need to "translate" the wires from the cable using the pinouts in the link above to match the pinout on the RJ46 female in step 1 to a male connector.

This way, the pinout on each controller cable will match the outputs on the MC Cthulhu, so quick switching is a breeze in the "heat of the battle". :lol:
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Yeah its very annoying that all the links are dead < Think ill wait till there working again , Would be nice to have a Universal project box

So do i have to buy aload of crappy old pads and cut the cables off ?

I havnt done any soldering in a while and the MC looks a bit tricking to solder too :|
YouTube
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Trevor spencer wrote:Yeah its very annoying that all the links are dead < Think ill wait till there working again , Would be nice to have a Universal project box

So do i have to buy aload of crappy old pads and cut the cables off ?

I havnt done any soldering in a while and the MC looks a bit tricking to solder too :|
I haven't done this myself, I just use PS2 padhacks + adapters instead. It's basically the same principal (for cabinet use) but for a small arcadestick the RJ45 mod makes more sense + might be cheaper if you can get the controllers cheap.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

There are several instructables regarding wiring the mc cthulhu. I think I ended up going wiring straight-through from each of the 8 solder points to the point on the rj-45 cable (no crossing over or anything like that). I used gamecube and ps2 extension cables I got for a few dollars at a gamestop, and a usb extension cable.

edit: upcoming versions of the mc cthulhu are going to have the rj-45 jack already attached, so the only wiring you will need to figure out is the cable itself.
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

I've done this for my MAME cabinet to allow for switching from USB to PS2/Dreamcast. It's easy to do actually, but you need the pinout of the specific controllers you want to add. And btw, the Dreamcast only works through a PS2 to Dreamcast converter that I got separately. However I think that the newer Cthulhu boards support Dreamcast natively.

And if I remember correctly I used a tutorial from Instructables.com
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Zapf wrote:
edit: upcoming versions of the mc cthulhu are going to have the rj-45 jack already attached, so the only wiring you will need to figure out is the cable itself.
Oh nice , Ill wait then , Also the cable extension idea i top notch cheers
YouTube