New to this board

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Big Boss

New to this board

Post by Big Boss »

Hey everyone, I recently decided I wanted to get into shooters a little more. I was hoping someone could suggest some games for me. My systems are PS2 (and PS1 obviously), Gamecube, Dreamcast, SNES, N64 and GBA. I'm thinking of getting a Saturn too however.

I am thinking of modding my PS2 and I can play imports on my DC. I figured these two systems would have the best shooters. I suppose I should start with games that aren't incredibly hard to find or expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
subcons

Post by subcons »

My top picks for Dreamcast and PS2 (domestic, assuming you're in the U.S):

DC: Ikaruga, Zero Gunner 2, GigaWing 2, Mars Matrix

PS2: Gradius V, R-Type Final, Shikigami 2

You'll get more detailed posts from other members. That should get you going though. :)

EDIT: Just to avoid confusion, all those games were released in the U.S. with the exception of Ikaruga and ZG2. Ikaruga was released on Gamecube here, but spring for the DC port. You'll be glad you did.
visuatrox

Post by visuatrox »

Dreamcast: Ikaruga, Trizeal (would have mentioned Border Down, but that game is not cheap or easy to find)

PS2: Espgaluda, Gradius V, and also get R-Type Delta (PS1)

There you have some variety so that you get started with shmups :)
PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

Gradius V, R-Type Delta, and Castle Shikigami 2 are absolute musts for PS2 owners. Mobile Light Force (PS1) and Mobile Light Force 2 (PS2) are fairly easy to find and usually quite cheap, but they're not as good as the three I listed above, IMO. R-Type III: The Third Lightning on SNES is generally highly regarded, though I've only emulated it and I haven't been able to find it in-store.

If you try the Gradius series and you like it, then Gradius 3 SNES and Gradius Galaxies (GBA) become must-haves as well. I personally love the Gradius III/IV combo for PS2, but a lot of people don't care for it, and it's not always that easy to find.
dessgeega

Post by dessgeega »

bangaioh/bangai-o is pretty easily acquired for the dreamcast, and well worth playing.
CIT

Post by CIT »

If you have a Gamecube Ikaruga will probably be easier to find for that system than the DC.

If you live in the US, you can pick of Castle of Shikigami 2 on PS2 for real cheap.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Welcome to the boards!

DC: Ikaruga, Mars matrix, Zero Gunner 2, Bangaioh, Cannon Spike (very fun 2 player co-op)

PS2: If you mod it be sure to get Mushihime and DDP DOJ

I don't own it yet but Gradius V got very good reviews and is a fave around here.

GBA: Gradius Galaxies
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

my personal favourites for the ps2 happen to be the strikers and gunbird packs, both by psikyo and both fantastically hard. however i'm in the uk (pal terretory) and over here these packs are cheap as anything. not really sure on whether they were released in the us but if so, pick them up as soon as.

and welcome to the boards
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

Gradius V is really good, Dylan. I usually don't enjoy hori-style games, but Gradius V is one excellent experience.
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

Welcome to the forums, humanoid.

PS2 - R-Type Final, Gradius 5, Silpheed, Psyvariar, G 3 & 4.

Dreamcast - Border Down, Mars Matrix, Chaos Field, Trizeal.
Fight Like A Robot!
ResOGlas

Post by ResOGlas »

Greetings and welcome.
All the Cave ports for the Japanese PSX and PS2 have been done very well.

PSX: DonPachi, DoDonPachi (these titles can be easily found for the Saturn, but I hear that the PSX versions were superior) However, some people prefer the Saturn version so I guess you should do your homework if you're interested in these.

PS2: Esdpgaluda, DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou, Mushihime Sama

I'd also recommend both Gradius V and R-Type Final, which are out here in the States on PS2. (If you hurry, ToysRus is selling R-Type final for only $6.99)

GC: Ikaruga should be considered also. Great unique game, but it's getting harder to find the American version in retail stores.
Hail Atlantis!
Big Boss

Post by Big Boss »

I recognize a few names here. Anyone else post at neo-geo.com?
subcons

Post by subcons »

*raises hand*

Not that much though. I'm more of a reader.