RQ: scoring big points in stage 1 of Ibara.

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Siren2011
Banned User

RQ: scoring big points in stage 1 of Ibara.

Post by Siren2011 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3CUhh5ZRH0

How on earth does this guy raise the medal value so fast? I mean Jesus, halfway through the stage he obtains the highest medal. From a simple observation, it looks like he's collecting multiple medals of different values in the bomb's blast radius, rinse repeat. I'm trying the same strategy, but with inferior results. Please advise.

EDIT: Could it be that it's harder to score in the PS2 version? Just a guess.
"Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die. Trapped in a moe~ existence"
cools

Re: A Question about scoring big points in stage 1 of Ibara.

Post by cools »

Easy, just takes practice. It's not about killing many enemies in one go, it's about grabbing the medals as quickly as possible when they appear - if no medals are on screen when one appears the next one is a higher value (if you've not dropped the chain).

Bomb EVERYTHING. Bombing flying enemies produces medals quicker than shooting them.

The two buildings he bombs and flies over quickly are a matter of timing - bomb then fly up them rapidly - the medals appear from bottom to top so your chain jumps up three places with each building.

The big buildings if bombed uncover their medals from left bottom to right top, so by positioning yourself on the left bottom you can jump your chain up two places with these too.
Plasmo

Re: RQ: scoring big points in stage 1 of Ibara.

Post by Plasmo »

Here's a better vid: http://youtu.be/0z_qUhU9M1A

Especially the Hadougun at the start is a good help to easily raise your medal value. You just need to be extra careful.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

And here's one of me scoring 2.32mil from stage 1. No hadougun at the beginning.
http://www.ikaruga.co.uk/files/fw/st_ib ... il_icr.avi
Siren2011
Banned User

Post by Siren2011 »

Thanks for the help, guys. I've been at it all day and have noticed a slight improvement in my playing.

However, even though I'm bombing flying enemies left and right (using the same ship type D), just like you guys are, my game isn't anywhere near as generous with dropping medals as your versions are. Moreover, sometimes I'll grab the only medal on screen and the subsequent one is the SAME VALUE. Sometimes this happens three times in a row. It's literally driving me insane. Because of this, by the time I get to the boss, I'm usually at 6,000 value on the last huge building. Not good.

Are you all playing the PCB? I think this PS2 Ibara is my problem. Either that or I'm delusional and have poor skills. But really, it shouldn't be this hard.
"Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die. Trapped in a moe~ existence"
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Stage 1 isn't any easier on the PCB. The only markably difference regarding PS2 vs. PCB is stage 3. And even with the missing slowdown it's still very manageable on the PS2.
I like chocolate milk

mesh control

Post by mesh control »

That second video Plasmo posted, looked like the PS2 port.

Did ACR get the WR on the port?
lol
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

It indeed is the PS2 port. ACR wanted to show, that he can get 30mill+ on the PS2 port aswell. That was after his WR on the PCB IIRC.
I like chocolate milk