RQ: Raiden Fighters, RF2, RFJ, VP1 rank systems.

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Damocles

RQ: Raiden Fighters, RF2, RFJ, VP1 rank systems.

Post by Damocles »

I thought for sure since all are now emulated that there would be ample discussion, but I was wrong....unless I missed 'em.

Anyway, what are they, if they exist at all?
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

*bump*
kemical

Post by kemical »

I'm wondering the same thing, there is definitely some type of rank in VP1, because if you suck, less enemies seem to come out, and they fire less shots, plus the bosses seem easier.
Its clearly noticeable if you lose all your ships on the first level, things are easier on that level than if you havent lost any ships. The boss fires slower, less dense shots, and takes way less hits to kill.

I cant really tell if it gets harder though if you're good, because I can do a 100% killed run through the first level with no bombs, and then another 100% killed run through the second with no bombs used either, fully powered up, and it doesn't seem to increase rank, everything is always the same each time (unless I've been losing lives and stuff).

I have noticed on the first level, if you're doing a good run killin all enemies and destroyable items, certain enemies will come out that don't usually come out, like for example just before the first moving platform, if I've destroyed all the parked planes and large ships on the runway, and all enemies, 2 large ships fly down,. but if I miss any of the small enemy ships they wont appear.

Also, for score, the medal pods that float down, if you wait until they are at the apex or whatever, (or after) when they are floating back up to the top, they release way more medals.

VP1 is really hard for me though, only able to get up to lvl 3, once those spinny mine things come out towards the boss, that have the weird movement patterns and fire snipe shots.. it gets confusing.

I guess maybe it would be worthwhile to experiment suiciding before the level 2 and 3 boss, and see if it makes killing them any faster, but I'm not sure if it would really be that beneficial to getting through the game.

kinda crazy, I';ve seen japanese high scores for the game up around 18 million I think, best I've gotten is 2.3 million I think, on stage 3.