AV receiver or seperate upscaller?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
gatsu25

AV receiver or seperate upscaller?

Post by gatsu25 »

So I would eventually like to purchase a machine to make my games come out in their full glory on an HDTV. I have read quite a bit of information and have a general understanding of what everything does, but I would like to ask if someone knows more in detail or has experience.

Alot of forum members and gamers alike seem to like the XRGB stuff, most recently the 3. What I understand is that a good quality AV receiver will also upscale my gaming video out to generally do the same if not better than what the XRGB, or other similar machines do. Specifically I am looking at Onkyo's line of receivers, as I have read that the HQV Reon VX chip is among the best there is for video upscalling.

It is much more pricey, but the machine also does a lot more. Would going all out and getting a nice model Onkyo be my best option? Is there another receiver someone can recommend that does a better job?

I have tons of older systems from NES to Neo Geo to today's HD systems, so the more hookups the merrier, and I would be using everything from Composite video to HDMI.

Any help really would be appreciated. It seems that most people who are buying these machines are not so interested in what their old Nintendo would look like running on it, so there isn't so much information I can find.
Fudoh

Re: AV receiver or seperate upscaller?

Post by Fudoh »

a) "HQV Reon VX chip is among the best there is for video upscalling" -> wrong
b) many AV receivers don't support 240p input
c) there are no AV receivers with RGBs support

conclusion: forget about using a AVR for vintage videogaming.
gatsu25

Post by gatsu25 »

Fudoh wrote:a) "HQV Reon VX chip is among the best there is for video upscalling" -> wrong
b) many AV receivers don't support 240p input
c) there are no AV receivers with RGBs support

conclusion: forget about using a AVR for vintage videogaming.

Like I said, I don't claim to know everything, just asking to figure out what I should do.

a) Then what is?

b) Many don't, so that means some do? What would those be?

c) By RGB support, do you just mean component video? If I am right (correct me if I am wrong) then the majority of the receivers I am looking at have either inputs for composite RGB, or in a few cases D-Terminal. Perhaps by RGBs support you mean they do not support what XRGB-3 and other similar upscallers will?

If it the case that no AVR will do anything near what something like the XRGB-3 will, it is a bit disappointing for me, as I would like to get a nice one eventually anyway.

Thanks for the response. If anyone else has any experience that would be great as well.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

a) Then what is?
For upscaling the Marvell Qdeo Kyoto G2 is fine (a similar processor will be featured it the upcoming XRGB-mini) , for deinterlacing the ABT2015 VRS is great. The Reon is a low end HQV processor. The Realta would be the higher end version, but I still don't like it and it is - for various reasons - your worst choice for processing video game signals.
b) Many don't, so that means some do? What would those be?
The ABT-based AVRs usually at least don't hang up themselves when fed with 240p.
c) By RGB support, do you just mean component video?
no, I mean RGBs. The signal which system like SNES, Genesis, PS1, Saturn (etc) output natively.

What do you want with component (YCbCr/YUV) inputs if all those systems don't output component without the use of an extra transcoder or another mod ?
If it the case that no AVR will do anything near what something like the XRGB-3 will, it is a bit disappointing for me, as I would like to get a nice one eventually anyway.
you're right. NO receiver will do anything near what a XRGB-3 does (which is to recognize 240p and not treat it as 480i instead), but there are other - homecinema upscalers - which at least handle video games fine (contrary to your average AVR).
gatsu25

Post by gatsu25 »

Thanks, that is good information.

I want component inputs for a few game systems. I use a D-Terminal input for my wii right now, and have plans to mod a few of my older systems for RGB (my duo and neo geo, most likely).

What is the XRGB-Mini? Is there a link to more info about it somewhere? I think the XRGB-3 has been out for some time now, are there any plans for the next line in the hardware line other than the mini?

On a bit of a side question, say, if I hook up a simple composite switch box to into one port of something like the XRGB, will that cause any loss of fidelity? I only ask, because I have so many that I would like to hook up, and would rather not have to plug them in and out constantly.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I want component inputs for a few game systems.
no worries, you'll always have component inputs on any AVR or standalone video processor, but for the old systems' sake you should make sure to have RGB inputs as well. The Neo Geo already has perfectly fine RGB output out of the box, no need for modding.
What is the XRGB-Mini? Is there a link to more info about it somewhere?
somewhere, try the search. Should be out within the next few months.
I think the XRGB-3 has been out for some time now, are there any plans for the next line in the hardware line other than the mini?
probably not yet.
On a bit of a side question, say, if I hook up a simple composite switch box to into one port of something like the XRGB, will that cause any loss of fidelity? I only ask, because I have so many that I would like to hook up, and would rather not have to plug them in and out constantly.
no, that will be fine. Of course you might want to stay safe from composite video. While the NES and PCE need modding to output RGB, all other major systems output RGB and/or component straight away.