NEC XM29 monitor vs. Flatscreen Television ?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rob79

NEC XM29 monitor vs. Flatscreen Television ?

Post by Rob79 »

Im looking at some various CRT Monitors.
How much better is an NEC XM29 monitor, compared to a normal CRT flatscreen Television ?

Also, where can I buy an NEC XM29 or XM29 Plus ?
Shogun

Re: NEC XM29 monitor vs. Flatscreen Television ?

Post by Shogun »

I was in the same situation you were and went with the NEC. To me the picture just can't be beat on a CRT with older systems. Familiarize yourself with the various models of tv's and monitors from brands like NEC, Sony, and even Mitsubishi and search your local sale ads every now and again. If you limit yourself to just one model you'll be looking for longer. I wouldn't bother shipping one in because the cost of shipping is more than the price of the tv. The CRT route is also definitely cheaper. To get a decent picture with older systems on an HDTV is going to cost a bit more. That said even with a CRT you will spend quite a bit of time tracking down cables if you are going for the RGB route.
Rob79

Post by Rob79 »

These monitors are difficult to find for sale in Canada ! Thats why I may have to stick to a CRT TV :(
Im also looking for the Sony PVM-2530.

btw, I'll be using a Supergun S-video only.
Rob79

Post by Rob79 »

How about Commodore 1084 monitors ? Does anyone know if these have S-video input ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rMiWWjX ... re=related
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

It does, but you'd need to build yourself an adapter since the 1084 takes luma & chroma through two separate RCA inputs.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

ZOM wrote:It does, but you'd need to build yourself an adapter since the 1084 takes luma & chroma through two separate RCA inputs.
Commodore made those cool Amiga 1080 RGB monitors to accept either RCA composite video, S-Video (through the aforementioned two seperate RCA phono jack inputs of luma & chroma) and lastly, RGB input as either a DB-9 9-pin interface (or on the later released models such as the Amiga 1084 and the Amiga 1084S monitor variants, either a DB-9 interface or a round DB-8 8-pin interface for RGB input). The seperate luma & chroma inputs method were installed on the earliest Amiga 1080 monitors as of January of 1986.

It wasn't until the early 1990s, that A/V manufacturers decided to incorporate both seperate luma & chroma inputs into a single 4-pin standardized S-Video input interface that is still in use today. When the first S-Video based VHS & Betamax VCRs went on the market, they all had the new-fangled S-Video single S-Video interface for easier hookup.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Rob79

Post by Rob79 »

Amiga 1084s pictured:

Rob79

Post by Rob79 »

I found these Sony PVM2530 for sale locally. he wants $200 each.
should I grab one ?
What should I offer ?

Shogun

Post by Shogun »

I see monitors selling for over $200 all the time but I also see them for below $50. I paid $30 for my NEC XM29 Plus but I haven't seen one since. Personally I wouldn't pay that much for a monitor. I would stay below $100. Things might be different in Canada however. You did say they are harder to find up there.
PC Engine Fan X!

That VTR input on the back of the Sony PVM2530 is Sony's properitary 8-pin interface that will accept RGB signal. It's trying to source one of those hard-to-find VTR RGB cables to do so. I was lucky enough to get a handy VTR (Video Terminal Relay) cable bundled with my Sony CPD-9000 RGB monitor.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Endymion

Post by Endymion »

Pretty sure that isn't a Sony jack as I have seen it in other monitor brands in the past. It is an old TV studio cable for mixing and recording, it does not use RGB. See here, audio and video in and out.
PC Engine Fan X!

With the Sony CPD-9000 RGB monitor, the 8-pin VTR input is the only means of accepting 15kHz RGB signal. Interesting use of the VTR output on other monitors though for mixing/recording.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

$200 is a bargain for them considering the quality..
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

speedlolita wrote:$200 is a bargain for them considering the quality..
I'd have to agree this time considering they are the cleanest PVMs I've ever seen
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Seriously, they look like new. Were they available near my vicinity I'd grab one at that price without thinking twice.