DFK BL no audio...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kyuzo

DFK BL no audio...

Post by kyuzo »

So I finally got my hands on a DFK BL kit, only to realize that when I got it into my cab, there's no sound at all :(

I tried all the obvious stuff I could think of (tried another cab, made sure the volume was actually on on the board and in my cabs) but no luck...

Anyone have any suggestions on stuff to try? I've been putting off getting my feet wet at repairing stuff, and clearly don't wanna start on something like this, but is there anything easy?
Dave_K.

Re: DFK BL no audio...

Post by Dave_K. »

kyuzo

Post by kyuzo »

I tried it on one of my astros and on my impress and neither worked :/ I guess I'll try my other astro tomorrow just in case (I've run most of the SH3s and PGMs on these cabs, any chance it's actually some incompatibility?)
kernow

Post by kernow »

Measured your +5/+12? Maybe it has slightly higher power requirements than the other boards, volume pot down?

All idiotically simple stuff, but worth checking :)
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

And all your other SH3 boards are running fine dude? :idea:
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Kiel

Post by Kiel »

Adjust the volume from the test menu?
kyuzo

Post by kyuzo »

Got a chance to try it in my other astro but still no luck... Need to dig up my multimeter before I can check my power...

Do cave sh3 boards have a volume pot? There's the one bulky plastic thing that looks like it could be, but I wasn't sure, always just kinda assumed that it didn't have a volume pot because it had the test menu volume setting? (which I did double check on and it was fine at 0x100)

And yeah, I've run sh3 boards in all of these without issues :/

Is there actually a reasonable way to get cave to repair these? Or does that involve trying to get mak or some other Japanese distributor involved?
kernow

Post by kernow »

kyuzo wrote:Got a chance to try it in my other astro but still no luck... Need to dig up my multimeter before I can check my power...

Do cave sh3 boards have a volume pot? There's the one bulky plastic thing that looks like it could be, but I wasn't sure, always just kinda assumed that it didn't have a volume pot because it had the test menu volume setting? (which I did double check on and it was fine at 0x100)

And yeah, I've run sh3 boards in all of these without issues :/

Is there actually a reasonable way to get cave to repair these? Or does that involve trying to get mak or some other Japanese distributor involved?
Yes, the plastic pot is a volume pot. I doubt theres anything wrong with it so no need for repair.
thegreathopper

Post by thegreathopper »

All SH3 games have a volume pot yours is turned down to off, Rotate clockwise and you will have sound. :D :D
Fight war not wars
kyuzo

Post by kyuzo »

Wow well that's embarrassing :)

It was totally the volume pot... It didn't even occur to me it had one since it already has the test menu one, I'm just an idiot I guess...

Thanks guys...
kernow

Post by kernow »

:o
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

kyuzo wrote:Wow well that's embarrassing :)

It was totally the volume pot... It didn't even occur to me it had one since it already has the test menu one, I'm just an idiot I guess...

Thanks guys...
You live and learn man, even the little things trip you up in the beginning. As Kern said, the chances of a dud SH3 are slim to none.

Turn up that vol you lucky punk, the soundtrack rules. :wink:
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I recall getting a Gunbird PCB as one of my first Jamma PCBs (being new to the arcade PCB hobby back in the day) and the volume was cranked up really high by the previous owner. Had to utilize the cut-off volume switch until it was possible to tone it down. It took a bit of searching around on the PCB itself to see how to tone it down to acceptable listening levels (via volume pot). Then it was smooth as gravy from there on. As the ol' adage goes: You learn something new everyday...even if it pertains to the arcade PCB hobby.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~