How far would you go in the pursuit of greatness

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Diabollokus

How far would you go in the pursuit of greatness

Post by Diabollokus »

Purely theoretical topic here.

Say the greatest shmup ever has just been made, its in limited number under 300 copies will be printed the company who made it are going bust due to the development costs, but the games out.

How much would you be willing to spend on the greatest shmup ever made, a game with no equal with years of secrets, extras and replay value.
Vidi Vici Veni
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

in that case, i'd probably just get the ISO.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Well, to nitpick, no shmup (or any game) will ever even come close to being unanimously called "the best ever," since people's gameplay tastes and such widely vary...in any case, if the thing was THAT prohibitive to get ahold of, I'd probably just give up on ever playing it, I just plain don't have that kind of money to spend, especially all at once. Not to mention that I already have other stuff to play.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Stormowl wrote:in that case, i'd probably just get the ISO.
If I could I'd check it via ISO first....otherwise I'd spend a max of £70
My Trying Not To
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

You guys are dumb. Someone offers you God in DVD-ROM format and you say you have other games to play??

I'd sell my soul for it. :wink: I can always buy another for $5
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

mannerbot wrote:I'd sell my soul for it. :wink: I can always buy another for $5
Since I don't believe in souls, I'd be happy to sell mine. :wink:

I think the $150 I spent on RSG is the most I'll ever spend on a game. I hope never to spend that much again, as I cannot justify spending that much on a single game. As BulletMagnet says, I already have games to play.
RealBoutJake

Post by RealBoutJake »

Hmmm.... I'd spend 500 USD at most for any game.

So far the most expensive game I bought was Kof2001 brand new neogeo home cart (it was about 330 USD)

But, if there was G Darius 2 arcade board for 500 bucks, I'd buy it, definately.
Currently playing: Mushihimesama, Sam Sho 0 special
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

I'd spend a maximum of 500$ on it, back-up it, play the back-up to death, wait a couple of years and sell it for 1000$ minimum.
Trek trough the Galaxy on silver wings and play football online.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

hmmmm interesting take on it via pirating.

okay lets narrow it down a little '' the thing is cartridge based :D '' using new technology that cannot be pirated at this time or the forseeable future another reflection of the development costs, iso will never be about.

However there are dedicated arcade cabinets in short supply scattered throughout the world, (again the things aren't piratable by bastids like japhei) how much would you pay for the complete cab of the ultimate game? I've switched to a cab now as I know some of you guys have spent thousands on single cabs.

remember the gameplay is infinite, no room for sequels, no one will ever spend that amount of money on a shmup again...... its the only way you will play the greatness.
Vidi Vici Veni
Ord

Post by Ord »

Well, I just spent $1,388.00 on Ibara, and that pretty much hit the limit that I would spend on any game. I'll just drool at the vids when Raidenfighter Kirkov procures his copy. :wink:
Zigfried the Trizealot

Post by Zigfried the Trizealot »

I'd spend any amount of money (that I could afford). I mean, come on, we're talking infinite greatness here!

//Zig
Blade

Post by Blade »

You want someone to "aim for Greatness" huh? Well, to be the guy who MAKES THE KING OF SHMUPs would be great, don't you think? :D

I'm still working on mine, although it's been somewhat put on hold, I hope to have it turn out good.
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Trust me, If I had the free time and ambition to design my own shmup I would probably get sued for atempted fraud and impersonation as a corporate entity by technosoft for releasing funder force 6.
Yeah it would be cool to be responsible for creating a great game those guys at triangle service or is it 1 guy now? are an inspiration.

What exactly is your shmup about blade, I tend not to frequent the development thread? does it by any chance involve rock music, a weapon change systme consisting of free range hunter blade snake and tail gun? any parallax scrolling? If so I think I may like the final revision :D
Vidi Vici Veni
LAshujin

Post by LAshujin »

The highest amount I'll spend on a single game is probably around $800
Sabreman

Post by Sabreman »

I'd spend as much as I could possibly afford, without incurring the wrath of leg-breaking debt collectors.
visuatrox

Re: How far would you go in the pursuit of greatness

Post by visuatrox »

Diabollokus wrote:Purely theoretical topic here.

Say the greatest shmup ever has just been made, its in limited number under 300 copies will be printed the company who made it are going bust due to the development costs, but the games out.

How much would you be willing to spend on the greatest shmup ever made, a game with no equal with years of secrets, extras and replay value.
If we are talking about a CD based game, and I had tried it and it really is the best thing I have ever played. Although this scenario is unlikely to happen, I guess my maximum limit would probably be around $500. When I really want something I can go on a kamikaze spending spree :P
sven666

Post by sven666 »

this is stupid.. am i supposed to fill in a number here so high as to make you gasp or what is the purpouse of this thread?

yeah sure, for a AP batrider ex + alpha 2 turbo kit in solid gold i guess i'd fork out $3244
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

I'd pay eleventy three pee
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
uwfan

Post by uwfan »

sven666 wrote:this is stupid.. am i supposed to fill in a number here so high as to make you gasp or what is the purpouse of this thread?
I agree.

I would pay $10,000.

happy now? :wink:
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Dave4shmups has a point attitudes have changed on this forum for the worst over 3 years.

If you think something is pointless why post?
Vidi Vici Veni
Rob

Post by Rob »

dave hasn't been around 3 years. But posts certainly used to be friendlier, longer and more informative, quite unlike this one!

($50-$60 max)
TGK

Post by TGK »

ah well, I should have joined when the posts were friendlier, but I guess laziness made the best of me.

To buy the best shmup that would ever be made? Whichever amount left after I plan all of my crucial monthly expenses... so about $500 at this point.

To create a really high quality shmup? The number of years of learning and working it takes to accumulate enough knowledge for such an attempt.
This causes to me a sensation of badness. - Stormwatch
tehkao

Post by tehkao »

I would give up to $5000, or my first born, to play a copy of Thunderforce 6, if it were to ever come out.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I would spend whatever it took if I knew i'd get my money back on it.

Most games like this go to collectors, not players. Its too expensive to play you might break it.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Andi

Post by Andi »

$40. I've never spent more than that on any game.

I'm truly slumming it.