Psyvariar 2 - DC vs. PS2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
neojma

Psyvariar 2 - DC vs. PS2

Post by neojma »

For someone who has the DC Psyvariar 2 and likes it a lot, is the PS2 Psyvariar 2 Ultimate Final worth it now that it's fairly cheap?

What advantages/disadvantages does the PS2 port have over the DC? I know the DC is probably more arcade perfect since it's a Naomi port, but I hear the PS2 version is quite a good port. Any advice much appreciated...
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

The PS2 version has a Roll button (like Medium Unit & Revision), and it also comes with a replay DVD.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

iatneH wrote:The PS2 version has a Roll button (like Medium Unit & Revision), and it also comes with a replay DVD.
...plus some Training Missions, an art gallery, an option to make hitboxes visible and little stuff like that. The DC one is a very bare-bones port, PS2 has more content.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
kingmobster

Post by kingmobster »

The PS2-version also has slightly blurrier graphics and irritatingly long loading times. Since the roll button only lets you perform the "slow" roll, you won´t really benefit from it - a stick is still more or less necessary.
SAM

Post by SAM »

kingmobster wrote:The PS2-version also has slightly blurrier graphics and irritatingly long loading times. Since the roll button only lets you perform the "slow" roll, you won´t really benefit from it - a stick is still more or less necessary.
That just what I want to point out. The loading time between stages are really long.

But then, the PS2 version only costs $30 while the DC one costs $70.

BTW, the DC version support the official VGA cables.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
zyloj

Post by zyloj »

Ps2 version has extra contents, but it's graphically worst.
neojma

Post by neojma »

So in your opinion, do you think the extra contents of the PS2 version are worth checking out for me considering the relatively low price (I can find it for $30)? I already own the DC version and love it, so I don't really need a recommendation to pick that one up. Just want to know whether to supplement that with the PS2's extra features.

I'm slightly concerned about the comment that the roll button isn't really that effective. I like the PS2 Psyvariar 1 roll button, and that is one of the reasons the PS2 port of Psyvariar 2 was appealing to me. Anybody else want to weigh in with opinions on whether the roll button will be useful?
zyloj

Post by zyloj »

neojma wrote:So in your opinion, do you think the extra contents of the PS2 version are worth checking out for me considering the relatively low price (I can find it for $30)?
You can see what extras has ps2 version at this post:
http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic ... ght=#18419

If you enjoy extra play modes, perhaps you should buy it.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

neojma wrote:I'm slightly concerned about the comment that the roll button isn't really that effective. I like the PS2 Psyvariar 1 roll button, and that is one of the reasons the PS2 port of Psyvariar 2 was appealing to me. Anybody else want to weigh in with opinions on whether the roll button will be useful?
I think it functions more or less like the "roll" button in the first Psyvariars did, in keeping your shot focused and your speed constant (in this case, a bit slower than normal) while it's held down; I believe that if you "roll" a certain way using just the control pad you can also increase your movement speed, but there's not a separate button for that. In any event, I don't think the first Psyvariars were much different in that regard, so if the button worked for you there it should work for you here.
neojma

Post by neojma »

BulletMagnet wrote:I think it functions more or less like the "roll" button in the first Psyvariars did, in keeping your shot focused and your speed constant (in this case, a bit slower than normal) while it's held down; I believe that if you "roll" a certain way using just the control pad you can also increase your movement speed, but there's not a separate button for that. In any event, I don't think the first Psyvariars were much different in that regard, so if the button worked for you there it should work for you here.
Ah, great info that I've never really seen explained. I had no problem with the mechanics of the roll button in the first PS2 Psyvariar games, so I don't think that will be a problem for me in Ultimate Final. Thanks a lot for the explanation.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I'm not a Psyvariar expert by any means, so I might have messed up on a detail or two, but I do own both of the original Psyvariars and Psy 2 on the PS2, and at least to my untrained fingers the use of the roll button seems pretty much the same in each game, so you shouldn't have any adjustment problems at least.
MasterJJ

Post by MasterJJ »

zyloj wrote:Ps2 version has extra contents, but it's graphically worst.
And...what about XBOX version? still worse than DC version of the game?

Thx.
kingmobster

Post by kingmobster »

BulletMagnet wrote:I think it functions more or less like the "roll" button in the first Psyvariars did, in keeping your shot focused and your speed constant (in this case, a bit slower than normal) while it's held down
Almost true. In the PS2 release of the first games (Complete) you can "pump" the roll button to achieve the fast roll which is necessary to level up really fast. I think you can also do this by wiggling the stick diagonally.