Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
speedlolita

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by speedlolita »

whoozwah wrote:wait a minute. Can you install this in a 360 stick and be able to play with that stick on any system including 360 since the security chip is already present?
That's know as a "dual mod". The answer is yes. I have an RJ-45 port installed so I just need to switch cables. That's a little extra on top but it's totally worth it.

I actively switch between PC, PS3, PS2 and Dreamcast with a simple cable change. I've got an IMP board to switch between the PCBs but you can have a physical switch and I believe Toodles is making an IMP v2 that detects which console it's plugged into.

This can become a bit technical but here's the 3 threads you'll need, even to get an idea what I'm talking about. :D

http://shoryuken.com/f177/installing-mc ... ck-184787/
http://shoryuken.com/f177/rj-45-mc-cthu ... am-225565/
http://shoryuken.com/f177/rj-45-arcade- ... ts-231734/

:)
renardqueenston

Post by renardqueenston »

i've got a SCART connector (presumably j-wired, considering it's made for sigma and vega superguns), and was wondering what the best way to output to component would be? obviously if it's j-wired, a converter wouldn't exactly do the trick. i'm not exactly solder-savvy, so any other solutions would be wonderful :lol:
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

What is a 'linedoubler' and how does it differ from an upscaler? Thanks.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

Skykid wrote:What is a 'linedoubler' and how does it differ from an upscaler? Thanks.
Linedoubler does just that, doubles res sorta. Your XRGB-2+ is a linedoubler. :) So 240p would become 480p.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

speedlolita wrote:
Skykid wrote:What is a 'linedoubler' and how does it differ from an upscaler? Thanks.
Linedoubler does just that, doubles res sorta. Your XRGB-2+ is a linedoubler. :) So 240p would become 480p.
Oh, I see. So it is an upscaler then? Just confused as I heard Fudoh talk about using a linedoubler in addition to an upscaler. It's all an AV mystery to me. :)
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Linedoubler is a very old term, when those machines were just used to "double" the existing lines.This was done to feed 31khz projectors through VGA when the sources just had composite video. The first consumer linedoublers were introduced around 1990. Today you wouldn't want a simple linedoubler. It would make sense on 240p signal, but on 480i it looks terrible. Real linedoublers produced a 960i picture and a not a 480p one (because of the missing proper deinterlacing).

A deinterlacer is the newer term for linedoubler. The result is still just 480p (or 576p for PAL), but the "linedoubling process" got more complicated. Filmmode was introduced for 2:2 (PAL) or 3:2 (NTSC) movie sources and later on motion-adaptive video deinterlacing was introduced for video material.

An upscaler is exactly what the name implies, some device that scales the input resolution. Technically there aren't any upscalers, since all upscalers also do deinterlacing and most can also be set to output 480p, so there's no upscaling.

So, in essence, these are all video processors. Linedoubler or deinterlacer usually refer to machines that only output ED (480/576p) while upscalers (or just scalers) are machines that output in XGA, 720p or 1080p (or anything else). Linedoublers and deinterlacers have mainly been used for CRT displays or beamers, while scalers are used for fixed resolution displays like Plasma or LCD (or LCD or DLP beamers).
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I remember seeing a thread or site that lists Original XBox games' compatibility with the 360. Can someone please put me on my path? :lol:
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Shogun

Post by Shogun »

Can someone tell me if the NEC XM29 Plus supports sync on green? I keep reading that it doesn't but the manual states the following:

RGB Input Terminals:

RGB 1 : D-SUB 15pin/mini D-SUB 15pin RGB 2: (R, G, B, H and V)
: Video : Analog 0.7Vp-p/75 Ohms (Positive)
: Sync. : Separate Sync. TTL level, 0.7 - 4.0Vp-p/75 Ohms..........RGB 2 only
Horizontal Sync. (Positive/Negative)
Vertical Sync. (Positive/Negative)
: Composite Sync. TTL Level (Positive/Negative)
:Composite Sync. On Green Video 0.3Vp-p

This may be relevant too:
Functions of DIP SW:

Pin No 1 and 2(Sync. Control )
The No. 1 and 2 pins set Sync. Control.
Set the No. 1 pin to the OFF/OPEN position and the No. 2 pin to the ON/
SHORT position during normal operation. The monitor automatically
determines if the input signal is separate sync, composite sync or sync on
green signal in this order.

Set the No. 1 pin to the ON/SHORT position when sync on green signals are
necessary for synchronization with an external component.

When a composite signal is present, the picture may be distorted. If this
happens, set the No.2 pin to the OFF/OPEN position
Thanks.
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

Anyone knows if I can pass through 480p signals via the 15 pin d-sub to component out on the Videon Omega HDP?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Sure you can, but note that it's RGBHV to RGBHV and YPbPr to YPbPr, so no transcoding's happening there.
rancid3000

Post by rancid3000 »

I just installed my new Seimitsu LS-32-01 on my Madcatz TE Fight Stick. This was my frist time ever modding a stick and the joystick feels a little... sticky. When I move the stick up it seems a little easier than when I move it down, left or right.

In order to make the stick fit in the mount, I had to take the PCB off and rotate it 90 degrees. Is it possible that I messed something up during that process? Or am I just going crazy and the stick is fine?

It's not a huge deal but my Sanwa JLF that came with it had no such problem. Everything felt the same. Thanks!
toekutr

Post by toekutr »

I just got some scart cables for my Genesis and Saturn, and a RGB->Component converter, but I've got a Sony HD CRT, so there are no scanlines from a 240p input. What's the simplest way to get scanlines from either scart rgb or component, and output it via component or DVI/HDMI?
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

toekutr wrote:I just got some scart cables for my Genesis and Saturn, and a RGB->Component converter, but I've got a Sony HD CRT, so there are no scanlines from a 240p input. What's the simplest way to get scanlines from either scart rgb or component, and output it via component or DVI/HDMI?
It's not easy or cheap:

Scart > Component > HD Box Pro > SLG3000 > Gefen VGA to DVI scaler *or* X-Select for component. Not worth the trouble.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

rancid3000 wrote:I just installed my new Seimitsu LS-32-01 on my Madcatz TE Fight Stick. This was my frist time ever modding a stick and the joystick feels a little... sticky. When I move the stick up it seems a little easier than when I move it down, left or right.

In order to make the stick fit in the mount, I had to take the PCB off and rotate it 90 degrees. Is it possible that I messed something up during that process? Or am I just going crazy and the stick is fine?

It's not a huge deal but my Sanwa JLF that came with it had no such problem. Everything felt the same. Thanks!
It sounds like something isn't seated correctly. I would unscrew the PCB and put it back again, but while it's gone try moving the shaft about to see how it handles without the PCB.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
rancor

Post by rancor »

I was at HEY this afternoon, and the Deathsmiles II cab was showing this:

So, what happened?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

rancor wrote:So, what happened?
Probably because of the earthquake.
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

There's something I don't understand in regards to 240p resolution displaying on a 480i/p screen. Let's say there are 2x2 pixels on 240p:

OO
OO

If displaying as 480p it should be:

OOOO
OOOO
OOOO
OOOO

Right? That would means "pixelation" isn't it?

If scanlines comes into play then how should it look?

OXOX
XXXX
OXOX
XXXX

That would have both vertical and horizontal scanlines, but what I normally assume is

OOOO
XXXX
OOOO
XXXX

Wouldn't that be inaccurate? :oops:
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

There are no vertical scanlines on a true 240p CRT. The cathode ray moves horizontally line by line. On a 240p signal all fields/frames are drawn with the same vertical offset which leaves one line blank after each actively drawn line.

On the horizontal the cathode ray isn't interrupted. What you might see there is an overlay produced by the CRT mask.

That's why your last example is correct.

On a CRT the cathode ray also causes blooming on the active picture lines. This makes the active appear thicker than the dark scanlines and that's why a 100% scanline setting on a digital display (without blooming) is hardly correct.
whoozwah

Post by whoozwah »

Would this work?

Genesis scart out-->scart to vga converter-->amiga 1084s (or otherwise 15 khz horizontal sync monitor)

if so, what's the quality going to look like vs:

genesis scart out-->tv scart in (which I can't get since I'm in the US) vs:

genesis scart out-->scart to component converter-->LCD HDTV (I've heard this will output an interlaced signal, 480i)
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

Thanks fudoh :D
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You don't need a Scart to VGA converter to connect a Genesis to a 1084S, you just need the proper adapter cable. The result is the same as using a Genesis via Scart on a European TV.

Genesis -> Scart to YUV -> LCD TV will look ok, depending on the capabitlites of the TV. Some TVs can't handle 240p on their component inputs though. The better solution would be to use a Scart to VGA upscaler and connect the setup to the LCD's VGA input. If you use a CGA to VGA converter ($40 on eBay) and a SLG3000 for scanlines, your result will look like this: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 3&start=90 and that's definitely better than going the Scart to YUV route.
6EL3

Post by 6EL3 »

I am doing some groundwork—researching candy cabs. I know it would obviously be somewhat preference, but in general do most people prefer the same joystick buttons for shooting games as they do for fighters?
whoozwah

Post by whoozwah »

Fudoh wrote:You don't need a Scart to VGA converter to connect a Genesis to a 1084S, you just need the proper adapter cable. The result is the same as using a Genesis via Scart on a European TV.

Genesis -> Scart to YUV -> LCD TV will look ok, depending on the capabitlites of the TV. Some TVs can't handle 240p on their component inputs though. The better solution would be to use a Scart to VGA upscaler and connect the setup to the LCD's VGA input. If you use a CGA to VGA converter ($40 on eBay) and a SLG3000 for scanlines, your result will look like this: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 3&start=90 and that's definitely better than going the Scart to YUV route.
know where I would be able to buy one of these cables? The RGB input on the back of the monitor is a DB9 connection.

edit: would this work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Phillips-CM8833-I ... 0755477665
Last edited by whoozwah on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grobda

Post by grobda »

emphatic wrote:I remember seeing a thread or site that lists Original XBox games' compatibility with the 360. Can someone please put me on my path? :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xb ... h_Xbox_360

sure it used to be on M$ site too but think they pulled it since they killed xbl for old titles
whoozwah

Post by whoozwah »

edit: would this work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Phillips-CM8833-I ... 0755477665[/quote]

I checked the pinouts of this cable vs. the pinout of the RGB port on the back of my monitor and they're the same. Should be good right?

Thanks whoever can verify this.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

This should be fine. I had various 1084(S) monitors as well as some Philips equivalents and the cable should indeed be the same.
whoozwah

Post by whoozwah »

right on. Thanks :)
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

I have problem with my supergun buttons. The buttons are usually connected for 3 buttons and I know where the connection input for the 4th button is. However how do I get it to work? I tried connecting the 4th button on the MVS jamma connector but it doesn't work. There are 2 pins on a button so if one is for connection from the 4th button on jamma what shall I connect on the other pin?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Ground
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

Fudoh wrote:Ground
Thanks and got it working, finally can play some fighting games :lol: