RQ:Blazing Star Event Items (What the hell do they do?!)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
ForteMP3

RQ:Blazing Star Event Items (What the hell do they do?!)

Post by ForteMP3 »

I recently got back into Blazing Star on the NeoGeo, fun game, beautiful graphics, awesome music.

Now, I know most of the basics when it comes to scoring, what ships are best, some general boss strategies, etc, what I don't know is...

What the hell those STUPID EVENT ITEMS DO!

For those who don't remember, Event Items are either yellow or orange balls with angel wings and halos, they float around, and begin flashing when picked up. At this point, they follow you around for awhile, then leave. The message "HEY! AN EVENT ITEM COMES" also appears when one of these things pops up.

Here's my question:What is the point of picking these damn things up? I've yet to notice any changes when I get one, or any real benefits to getting them. In some cases, it seems like you'd be better off avoiding them, as you may have to fly into a dangerous position to grab one.
YOU ARE APPROACHING THE TARGET OF ATTACK! THE MISSION STARTS NOW! ARE YOU READY?!
thegreathopper

Star

Post by thegreathopper »

I am sure I read somewhere it is something that only works on 2 player games.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I remember hearing that to benefit from 'em you're supposed to not collect a bunch of them at first...after you miss one, the next one changes color. Do this for awhile and eventually the thing becomes more ornate; grab it then and something good happens score-wise...I forget the details, but it went something like that.
ForteMP3

Post by ForteMP3 »

Just figured it out thanks to your info BulletMagnet, they're Score Multipliers.

An Event Item starts with a mere X2 value, but for every Event Item you don't grab, that value doubles, so the next Event Item is X4, then X8, then X16, then X32...I'm not sure what the max limit is yet. Also, the multiplier value carries over stages, so if you finish a stage with the last one being worth X8, the first you see in the next stage will be worth X16.

Thanks for the help! Maybe I can use this to improve my scores, although I still can't 1CC the game...
YOU ARE APPROACHING THE TARGET OF ATTACK! THE MISSION STARTS NOW! ARE YOU READY?!
MJR

Post by MJR »

max limit on event item was 256 (or 128, it's been some time); but i wouldn't lose lives over that one.. good place for using them (for example) is in the vertical dropdown area
raiden

Post by raiden »

the max value is 128. Good points to use them depends a little on your ship and on your ability. I´m used to picking up the 2nd one in stage 3, where all the debris is spilled from the ground stations, with the Windina, as this ship gives multipliers away pretty easily, so going for anything below 128 is pointless. But other ships have a fixed multiplier, where it might be better to use the event items more often. Waiting until the 2nd one in stage 3 requires leaving a few unused.
What I´d like to know is how you trigger event items to carry the "yume" symbol on them. I know that this one transforms score jewels into power-up items, which might seem useless, but from stage 4 onward I could use a stronger weapon.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

raiden wrote:What I´d like to know is how you trigger event items to carry the "yume" symbol on them. I know that this one transforms score jewels into power-up items, which might seem useless, but from stage 4 onward I could use a stronger weapon.
Does this not work?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Here's a guide that's all about Blazing Star but in Japanese. Enormous scores are possible in this game with players like SOF-WTN (I believe he has the Dodonpachi record also) pushing well over 70 million with Aryustailm.

And here's a link to some mame replays. I haven't gotten these to work yet as I don't think I have the right BIOS or something. These replays probably won't be world class, but good enough to give us a much better idea of how to exploit the scoring multipliers.
ForteMP3

Post by ForteMP3 »

Call me crazy, but for scoring purposes, wouldn't the ship that can't power up at all be the best?

For one, its simple 3 way shot actually packs some NASTY punch (I've set some new personal records for boss destroy times with this one) not to mention you always get bonus points for power ups.

As for turning bonus gems into powerups, I dunno if a weapon upgrade is worth the sacrifice in points (Considering you can get into the 10k range and then some eventually)
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

ForteMP3 wrote:Call me crazy, but for scoring purposes, wouldn't the ship that can't power up at all be the best?

For one, its simple 3 way shot actually packs some NASTY punch (I've set some new personal records for boss destroy times with this one) not to mention you always get bonus points for power ups.

As for turning bonus gems into powerups, I dunno if a weapon upgrade is worth the sacrifice in points (Considering you can get into the 10k range and then some eventually)
The Peplos is banned from official high-score competitions due to a massive scoring bug.
LAshujin

Post by LAshujin »

Anyone got advice on the first level. I can only get my bonus! level up to a hair under 4000 by the end, I've heard the top guys can pull 5000, but I can't figure out where to get that many other jewels