Austin, TX or close?

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
ExitPlanetDust

Austin, TX or close?

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

I didn't see a thread and wanted to know who was out there. UFO would make a great meeting place.
cody

Re: Austin, TX or close?

Post by cody »

I'm in austin. UFO has DDP DFK now, have you played it? Ive been there every day since ryan put it in, but if people want to meet up at a given time I'm down.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Got your PM. I haven't had a chance to stop by UFO in over a month. I'm going to be in the area early in the day on Tuesday so I'll try to stop by!
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Bah... I didn't get a chance to go to UFO on Tuesday. I was waiting for someone to finish an appointment and didn't have time.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

I will regularly have Saturdays off again in 2 weeks. So I'm down for a get-together if any locals want to put something together. I have a Dreamcast and Saturn with some decent games like Souky, Galactic Attack/Layer Section and burns of DC shoot em' ups. I have arcade sticks and adapters as well.

I've been collecting light guns for various systems lately. Time Crisis/House of the Dead anyone?
Cell247

Post by Cell247 »

Hey guys. I live in Austin also. About 15 mins north of UFO. I have two Sega cabs. One I bought off Ryan, who owns UFO, and a 2nd one from someone in RoundRock. I just restored the second over Xmas. Can play both Naomi, and Xbox 360 games. About to hack a Dreamcast into it also. So tons of Shmups to play. Here are some pics of my New Net City restore:

http://atx-cell.blogspot.com/2009/12/photobucket.html

I have people over sometimes to play games and drink beer.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Awwwwwsoooome! Post here when you're free or want to make plans. My Friday-Saturday off schedule starts this coming week.
Cell247

Post by Cell247 »

Just tated my Astro and put in my first arcade shmup! Ibara.

http://atx-cell.blogspot.com/

And my SF4 marquee came in from MaxChainSpendid:

ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Awesome setup, man. So when are you going to have a gathering?
Cell247

Post by Cell247 »

Waiting for a Japanese Xbox 360 to get here to play DDP DOJ and Death Smiles in the SF4 cab. And may have Dodonpachi pcb coming for the Astro. So maybe in a few weeks. Ill post up.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Cool.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Any updates?
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

The Central Texas guys on Racketboy.com are planning a shmups/beat em' ups meet at Game Over Video Games on August 20th.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=22092
mesmer

Post by mesmer »

Anyone local selling a candy cab?

Cell, where did you get yours?
mesmer

Post by mesmer »

Cell247 wrote:One I bought off Ryan, who owns UFO, and a 2nd one from someone in RoundRock.
Duh, how did you find the one in RoundRock?
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Everything is coming together for the Racketboy Central TX meet. See above link for details. There should be anywhere from 6 to 10 people attending (maybe more).

As it stands, there will be 3 systems - Saturn, PS2 and Genesis. The theme is still shmups and beat em' ups.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

The meet up went very well. Here is some video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nusp3DM-QW4
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

A new meet up is in the works. Check out the Racketboy thread for more details. We are doing a poll between 3 themes this time. Whichever one wins out will be the type of meet up we hold. You will need to register/sign up with the Racketboy forum to vote!
I have come up with 3 themes for the next meeting. Only one will be chosen. If you have an idea for a theme, let me know!

#1: "All You Need is Dreamcast"
This is probably my dream meet up (no pun intended). Dreamcasts only and lots of them. Enjoy greats such as Power Stone 2, Soul Calibur, Mark of the Wolves, Red Dog (4 player split screen), Cannon Spike, Zero Gunner 2... the list goes on and on.

The icing on the cake would be a dual screen setup with Virtual On: OT via link cable. I may be able to set up some actual arcade sticks for use. I am working with someone to see if this can be done with 2nd hand arcade panels.

#2: "The 16bit Wars"
A return to the glory days of the early 90s when nearly everyone chose a side. Some of the best multiplayer titles from the Genesis and SNES and multiple sets of the systems hooked up for play. Platform VS Platform with titles like Contra III VS Hard Corps, Mortal Kombat 1 SNES VS Mortal Kombat 1 Genesis, etc.

If this is the meet to be, I think it would be a blast to have a dedicated SNES with 3 player multitap Secret of Mana going on in a corner somewhere. The game would continue during the meeting and people could switch out when tired/bored.

#3: "Silicon VS CDs"
Sony turned the industry on its side and everyone scrambled with some of the most unique, quirky and memorable titles to grace video games. The N64, PS1 and Saturn would all be represented with memorable titles all around. Ridge Racers, Armored Cores, Guardian Heroes, Virtual On, Smash Brothers, Perfect Dark... We definitely wouldn't run out of interesting content.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Dreamcast won the poll. Still working out a date.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Vodkatron are located in Corpus Christi, and Kingsville Tx respectely. (south Texas)
Perhaps a session would be in order?
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Let me know what you guys come up with. The Central Texas Racketboy crew had another meet up at Game Over here in Austin last Sunday. Great turnout. We played nothing but Dreamcast on two different TVs. We should have a video up soon.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

*tap tap* Is this thing on?

Another Dreamcast meet is scheduled for 1/16/2011 from 12 noon - 6 pm at the Game Over Video Games on Lamar & 183. We should have at least 3 DCs and TVs. We will be heading to Pinballz afterward.
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

Looks like I need to move to TX.

That Pinballz Arcade has THE greatest lineup of tables I have ever seen. :shock:
"When you can say you love shooting games, I get the sense you’re no longer a normal person. (laughs)" - S. Yagawa
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Yeah, its a fantastic place. I was going to drop by tonight but I spent all my pocket money on a new arcade stick.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

The Racketboy Dreamcast meet up is this coming weekend on the 16th from noon to 6pm at the Lamar Game Over Videogames here in Austin. Just a friendly reminder. Stop by and say hello!
Cell247

Post by Cell247 »

mesmer wrote:
Cell247 wrote:One I bought off Ryan, who owns UFO, and a 2nd one from someone in RoundRock.
Duh, how did you find the one in RoundRock?
Sorry for the super delay. Ive been busy with work. I found the guy in RoundRock on another arcade forum. Sega-Naomi. He was also on Arcade-Otaku. I saw he had some cabs and asked if he wanted to let one go. I put a lot of work into that one though. For shmups Id try to find an Astro City and tate it. Its great. Also I took Ibara up to UFO and I may put ProGear up there at some point also:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35507
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

That's pretty cool of you to take Ibara up to UFO. I replied to your other thread.

Sorry I didn't up date here, but the Dreamcast meet up at Game Over went very well. We had around 16 show and had a great time. We migrated over to the new Pinballz arcade afterward. We hope to have some video up soon.
Cell247

Post by Cell247 »

I got Progear running now and it's so tight! Also have Mmp/Pink Sweets xbox running on other cab. Let me know if you want to stop by.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Will do. I am working on putting together a shmups meet with an Austin group on meetup.com. Let me know if you have any suggestions. So far we are putting together mostly Dreamcast and Saturn stuff.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

I have put together another Central Texas Racketboy Members' meet for Wednesday the 23rd (next week). We will doing an after-work meet from around 5:15pm to 8pm where people can casually drop by. If people are still lively afterward, we will head to Pinballz just down the street or possibly UFO.

I will be bringing the Dreamcast and the Saturn. I should have Galactic Attack/Layer Section in tow. I am contemplating bringing the Mission Stick and Night Striker S. There will be other games, of course.

Anyone is welcome to attend. This is not a members only meet.