GD: Vulgus

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Andi

GD: Vulgus

Post by Andi »

I've been playing this on PSP (consider it the ultra-challenge). I've got some specific questions, but I'm also curious to hear any general scoring/survival advice. As for the questions...

What the letter icons do? An FAQ at GameFAQs says that they increase enemy speed and enemy shot speed and should never be picked up. Obviously, that can't be true. What's their real purpose?

Are there any scoring techniques I'm missing aside from killing the enemy clusters and big ships?

Does anyone know of any good replays I can watch? Dale made some good ones that he linked to in the Vulgus high score thread, but they are viewable only in MAME.
doctorx0079

Re: GD: Vulgus

Post by doctorx0079 »

Andi wrote:What the letter icons do? An FAQ at GameFAQs says that they increase enemy speed and enemy shot speed and should never be picked up. Obviously, that can't be true.
What makes you say that? Remember this game is ancient.
SWY: Games are just for fun
Andi

Post by Andi »

doctorx0079 wrote:
Andi wrote:What the letter icons do? An FAQ at GameFAQs says that they increase enemy speed and enemy shot speed and should never be picked up. Obviously, that can't be true.
What makes you say that? Remember this game is ancient.
True, but there is certainly something to them. For instance, the letter changes based on how many you collect in a row. That has to be indicator of something, right?
toaplan_shmupfan

Post by toaplan_shmupfan »

Gamefaqs is mostly correct but they aren't specific about which icon does what.

According to the unlockable tips for Vulgus within Capcom Classics Collection for the PS2:

"What are the S, D, and E? The S, D, and E items that appear affect the power of the enemy. S increases the speed of the enemy, D increases the firepower of the enemy, and E increases the variety of the enemies."

(They don't provide any information about when or how often each of those icons will appear.)
Andi

Post by Andi »

toaplan_shmupfan wrote:Gamefaqs is mostly correct but they aren't specific about which icon does what.

According to the unlockable tips for Vulgus within Capcom Classics Collection for the PS2:

"What are the S, D, and E? The S, D, and E items that appear affect the power of the enemy. S increases the speed of the enemy, D increases the firepower of the enemy, and E increases the variety of the enemies."

(They don't provide any information about when or how often each of those icons will appear.)
So basically, those icons should be avoided at all costs? That seems so silly.

For the record, when you pick up 2 S then 1 D appears. When you pick up 1 D then 1 E appears. After you get the E the pattern repeats and you pick up S again. Not that you'd ever bother. They don't seem to noticeably affect your score.
harrihaffi

Post by harrihaffi »

It seems like the amount of enemies is limited, so unless you shot a enemy a new one won't appear. So if you don't shot you can dodge the enmies one the screen with ease while they follow you and pick up bombs faster(once a power up is pick up a new one appears) untill you get far enought for one of the big ships to appear...cause then one or 2 of the ships lostes intressed in you and leaves the screen and then new enemies appear once the big ship is gone and at this point they fire at you...so not shoting didn't really work out for me...but still I wouldn't be that supriced if someone master playing without shoting and found out that it made the game easier...

MVHH