NeoGeo/Dreamcast/iPhone Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
drunkninja24

Re: New Neo Geo / Dreamcast Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

Post by drunkninja24 »

Tigershark wrote:I really like this game.

I think quite a few people now have this but don't seem to be posting their scores online at NG's site. At the moment I'm the highest scoring UK shmupper which obviously cannot be right.
TBH, the system is a neat idea, but it's a bit of a hassle to do. That's probably why there aren't a lot of scores posted.
Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

No more hassle than posting a score on this forum.
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

Tigershark wrote:No more hassle than posting a score on this forum.
They could be trying to get a really high score before posting. It is a fun, short game after all.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

I want some competition, too, but don't know... Either almost noone wants to play it seriously or they're all busy with Ketsui, Dai Ou Jou, ESP Galuda, Crimzon Clover (still waiting for my copy) and other shooters. We'll see it in the end.

For now I have the best scores on the NG:DEV high score site for every mode besides Maniac and it could start to get boring this way. ;)
rancor

Post by rancor »

Battletoad wrote:I want some competition, too, but don't know... Either almost noone wants to play it seriously or they're all busy with Ketsui, Dai Ou Jou, ESP Galuda, Crimzon Clover (still waiting for my copy) and other shooters. We'll see it in the end.
For now I have the best scores on the NG:DEV high score site for every mode besides Maniac and it could start to get boring this way. ;)
I just got my copy 4 days ago and have been trying to play fairly seriously. Playing with the dreamcast control pad is dreadful, so I have an arcade stick on the way - We'll see what I can do then. I'm currently at #17 on original mode.. Hopefully that will improve once the new hardware comes in. :mrgreen:

As an aside, I've been playing the dreamcast version pretty much non-stop over the past few days.. On my way home from work today I stopped in at the arcade to play the MVS version, and there are MANY differences - as in it almost feels like a different version altogether. For starters, on the MVS version you can control the dropship before it launches you - on the dreamcast version, your ship just wiggles inside the dropship. Graphically the shield icon is different and the menus for the game look very different. I also noticed quite a few enemies locations have been changed up and that the 2nd form of the 3rd level boss moves MUCH faster and sprays more bullets (the 3 rotating orbs). I'm sure there are many more differences that I could have noticed had I played more, but those were the changes that I easily noticed from a one-time-play. Oh! And the scoring too! On the DC, I'm not scoring too high, but on the MVS version my score was stratospheric - yet I still didn't even make the top 10.. :oops:
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Alright expecting some scores then. :)
From watching some videos of the MVS version I also noticed at least that the short boss animations before the Stage Result screen have been cut out in the Dreamcast port which is a bit sad.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Finally received my copy through P-A today. :)

But got little to no time to play it atm. :(
This week work, next week holiday trip, but once I can make some time I'll try to play it serious and post some scores.
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

Super Laydock wrote:Finally received my copy through P-A today. :)

This week work, next week holiday trip, but once I can make some time I'll try to play it serious and post some scores.

You're lucky! -I'm still waiting for my regular edition to turn up.

My order was messed up and I got sent the 'limited edition' -which I've not opened- and I've been told my 'regular edition' is on its way... still waiting since an email was sent teling me one was on the way on 31/12/2010... does it take three weeks to turn up from Germany?!?!?!?! Not very happy
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
antron

Post by antron »

NAVVARR wrote:

My order was messed up and I got sent the 'limited edition' -which I've not opened- and I've been told my 'regular edition' is on its way... still waiting since an email was sent teling me one was on the way on 31/12/2010... does it take three weeks to turn up from Germany?!?!?!?! Not very happy
who did you order from?
rancor

Post by rancor »

Thats weird. I ordered mine direct from NG:Dev and got it 4 days later. You might want to PM Timm (THE) and see whats up if you ordered from him. :wink:
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

There have been shipping issues. NCSX never did receive their shipment.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

antron wrote:
NAVVARR wrote:

who did you order from?

I ordered from the main official site- I ordered the Double edition (regular + limited edition) -I got sent the limited edition but never the original.
I emailed Tim, who got back to me and promised a copy would be sent ASAP - gave it a couple of weeks- still not received it- so I emailed to check it was sent. I was told- yes its been sent , but it probably caught up in postal delays...
So, by 21st January- I'll have been waiting more than three weeks for the copy apparently posted on 31st January 2010...
I'll give it a further week then send another email- see what can be done about getting me this game I've paid for.

Been pretty patient- but rapidly getting a bit fed up with the delay- whether its down to the postal system or not- they messed up my original order in the first place. :(
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

Received this email from NCSX today:

Dear NCS Customer, our shipment of Fast Striker for Dreamcast has finally arrived into US Customs and we should receive the parcel in the next 2-3 days. We will process and ship all preorders once the packages are delivered. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

NCSX, Inc

EDIT: I got an email from UPS today saying it's shipping and should be delivered on the 24th. Hallelujah.
Last edited by doctorx0079 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
SWY: Games are just for fun
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Got my copy via NCS today, haven't played it yet.

Ripped the OST into iTunes and it's pretty damn good though. :mrgreen:

Explained that there was another game for DC, as I unwrapped the box. The wife didn't seem impressed. :(
chempop

Post by chempop »

The wife didn't seem impressed.
Hehe, sometimes I'm glad to be single.
I unfortunately had to cancel my order through ncsx due to lack of funds. I figured it won't be impossible to find later on.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
gum_drops

Post by gum_drops »

Pick up the MVS release of their next game, that should really impress her, especially the price tag. :lol:
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

gum_drops wrote:Pick up the MVS release of their next game, that should really impress her, especially the price tag. :lol:
Oh don't worry, she's already watched me acquire most all the Neo home carts and MVS kits, most of the Cave kits.. she simply cannot be impressed.

To her it's not about $$. Regardless of whether it's $2000 or $2, she just sees more shit to store someplace. :mrgreen: She moans when she sees it arrive and she cheers when she sees it go.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

brentsg wrote:
gum_drops wrote:Pick up the MVS release of their next game, that should really impress her, especially the price tag. :lol:
Oh don't worry, she's already watched me acquire most all the Neo home carts and MVS kits, most of the Cave kits.. she simply cannot be impressed.

To her it's not about $$. Regardless of whether it's $2000 or $2, she just sees more shit to store someplace. :mrgreen: She moans when she sees it arrive and she cheers when she sees it go.
Ha ha, I know how it is man. Hard to blame them though, it does add up to quite a bit of stuff. I can't imagine how the lady will react once I finally get into pcbs. I did finally found out that she used to play Strikers 1945 in the arcades, and bought that fo her. She loves it. lol
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

brentsg wrote:

Sounds like my parents with all of my games in general. They're never impressed until I tell them that Neo Geo I got for $20 I managed to sell for $150. Then everything is wonderful.

My girlfriend only cares if I get rid of stuff in order to fund a dinner or if I buy something LittleBigPlanet or Left 4 Dead related.

One of these days I'm going to plop a candy cab in my front room and tell everyone to deal with it.

Anyway, my friend and I are preparing to have a scoring competition between each other using Fast Striker. Anyone have any particular tips so that I may more easily crush his score? I was thinking of having us compete on the Omake difficulty for extra fun.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

To her it's not about $$. Regardless of whether it's $2000 or $2, she just sees more shit to store someplace. She moans when she sees it arrive and she cheers when she sees it go.
I always combat that back with rolling my eyes at a pair of curtains I care NOTHING about, or anything remotely pastel (easter colors) in the house. Or other random garbage with no use lying about that is suppose to make the house look "pretty".

Fortunately I can show these emotions and not get an ear full quite easily.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Absolutely loving this game! A load of stuff in it reminds me of Iridion II, which is certainly no bad thing (and hurrah, no babysitting life bar). That last stage is a nightmare, I think that's going to hold me back from a 1CC for a while.

Britain needs to up its game (or just play it...) on the scoreboard though, I appear to be the top Brit and once I figure out how not to panic at the stage 3 boss I should manage better!
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

Finally got mine on 1/24. Haven't got a chance to play the game but I was playing the soundtrack in the car today. What's the name of the player's ship? I didn't see it in the manual. I need to know because I love player ships. Especially when they have cool names like R-9 Arrowhead and Silver Hawk.
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

Play-Asia was about two weeks late in shipment for this game. One copy arrived last Thursday, which was Kenchan's Christmas present. My copy? No has.

Liking the game though. Although, and my apologies if someone else mentioned this, what's with the high score ranking looping instead of the attract mode?
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

RHE told me Fast Striker is actually supposed to be the name of your ship.
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

My gf wants to get me something for valentines day. So I'm window shopping for her...

Is there any reason to order the FS double pack? You get the reg edition and limited edition,, but I don't see any differences in the two besides different cover art and an OST include in the LE.

So you get two copies of the exact same game (I'm talking the disc here)? I don't see a reason to order the double pack over getting just the LE.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Yeah, I went with the same logic and stuck with the LE. I don't need two copies with just an art variation so hopefully it frees one up to be enjoyed by someone else :)
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

They went over it a few times, it's for people that either do group orders, or want to keep their limited edition sealed.
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

Jockel wrote:They went over it a few times, it's for people that either do group orders, or want to keep their limited edition sealed.
TransatlanticFoe wrote:Yeah, I went with the same logic and stuck with the LE. I don't need two copies with just an art variation so hopefully it frees one up to be enjoyed by someone else :)
Cool. I'll just ask for the LE and the PB OST. :)
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

Meanwhile back on topic....

Finally got a hold of the Fast Striker non limited edtion version so I finally got to play it- really enjoying it.

My Shmup skills have slipped a bit over the years so i've been playing the pussy 'novice' setting- still, its a great game going to take some time to hone my skills- but its pretty mesmerising seeing all those bullets flying about and dodging them.

Great Dreamcast game - looking forward to what you guys come up with next
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

The discussion about piracy-related things has been moved to its own thread.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos