New Scanline generator SLG3000 - available now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bencao74

Re: New (upcoming) Scanline generator SLG3000

Post by bencao74 »

Hey,

almost all shipped on friday afternoon, some german guys receive already their SLG.

SLG is now online since monday. ...And first wave is nearly sold out. I`ve only very few pcs left. So hurry up, if you want one in this first wave.

But I can offer the second wave with same preorder conditions made for the first wave. So price is still 45€ plus shipping. I hope the next wave is finished in 3-4 weeks.

Thanks a lot guys for all your support and motivation given here in this thread!

Have fun!

Jochen
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Notice to early adopters : PLEASE POST PICS ASAP :lol:
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

As sad as I am to say it: the current conversion rate pushes the cost higher than I'm willing to pay at this time, especially if it's still in bare PCB form and not enclosed. Hopefully I can get in on the next batch.

Are there any chances of being able to negotiate a bulk rate and have multiples from the next batch sent here to the US? I imagine a decent savings can be made on shipping if they were all shipped to the US in one shot, then redistributed domestically.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Well... It's about time us in the UK got a reasonable price on a product for a change over typical prices for products in the US. lol You want to try paying over $9 for a gallon of petrol. Then you know what's expensive. Roflol
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

fagin wrote:Well... It's about time us in the UK got a reasonable price on a product for a change over typical prices for products in the US. lol You want to try paying over $9 for a gallon of petrol. Then you know what's expensive. Roflol
Hey, we pull petrol out of the ground right here in Alberta to sell to the US and even WE pay more for it at the pumps than they do! Sometimes nearly twice as much! In the city its actually refined in!

No offense, but yah I laughed at bit at wanting it cheaper for US customers...
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

For the record, I'm not bitter in any way over this, and I'm not sure the retorts so far are called for. But I have other bills to deal with and $80 shipped is simply beyond what I'm willing to pay for what is little more than a luxury item. I don't think it's unreasonable to seek out ways to decrease the cost, especially if there are enough other people interested to make the savings (however meager) worthwhile.

A relatively big chunk of that $80 cost is the shipping, so trying to work out a group deal (presuming shipping 10 doesn't cost much more than shipping 2) would already save even if the base price of each PCB wasn't altered.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

The wonders of modern technology: now we can faithfuly recreate old screens' limitations on our modern screens.

Coming next: a vinyl crackle generator for your music player!
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

StarCreator wrote:For the record, I'm not bitter in any way over this, and I'm not sure the retorts so far are called for. But I have other bills to deal with and $80 shipped is simply beyond what I'm willing to pay for what is little more than a luxury item. I don't think it's unreasonable to seek out ways to decrease the cost, especially if there are enough other people interested to make the savings (however meager) worthwhile.

A relatively big chunk of that $80 cost is the shipping, so trying to work out a group deal (presuming shipping 10 doesn't cost much more than shipping 2) would already save even if the base price of each PCB wasn't altered.
No worries--no offense meant. I'm actually selling some of my older gear to buy this TBH. I know all about budgets being tight. :D

I'm confused though--I paid $72 CAD all in, and our dollar isn't worth much more than yours...
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

- On and off switch via 5mm screw terminals
I wanted to confirm the above statement. So I can add an external on and off switch to this device? I am going over my setup's layout before this thing gets here. This little device will be under my entertainment center with all the other video processor stuff and cabling and I am in need with a way to turn it's scanlines on and off with out having to pull the unit from under the shelving ect.

If i understand this right I can add a switch via these screw down terminals?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Stormwatch wrote:The wonders of modern technology: now we can faithfuly recreate old screens' limitations on our modern screens.
It's not a bug, it's a feature.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

The wonders of modern technology: now we can faithfuly recreate old screens' limitations on our modern screens
Yeah, I wish we would abolish all 4x3 content as well, or at least chop off the top and bottom of the screen so it fits properly.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Niraflen

Post by Niraflen »

HDgaming42 wrote:I'm confused though--I paid $72 CAD all in, and our dollar isn't worth much more than yours...
I'm not sure how you managed to only get it for 72. 49 Euro + 4.50 Euro base shipping (people living in Germany stop here) + 4 Euro extra shipping (people outside Germany or Europe). If you didn't add the extra 4 Euro to your order, that would make up the discrepancy between your numbers and StarCreator's numbers for the most part.
Stormwatch wrote:Coming next: a vinyl crackle generator for your music player!
Don't make fun of the hobbies of other people. :P Case in point, the Vinyl simulator!

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If i understand this right I can add a switch via these screw down terminals?
yes, just shorten the two screws and the scanlines will be switched off.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

yes, just shorten the two screws and the scanlines will be switched off.
But these two screws are for mounting a switch correct? This sounds like they are not screw down terminals for a switch to be mounted. I have to screw them down to hold the wires.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Yes, you do. Standard cable screw terminals.

Just use whatever switch you like, solder two wires to it and attach the cables to the screw terminal....
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Good deal..... I imagine that's why there are two then.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

some good news. Winnie had the chance and assembled the batch in almost no time. I`m awaiting the second wave this week!
Animaitor

Post by Animaitor »

Just make sure he doesn't commit suicide like his peers over at Foxconn.
xavierjesus wrote:Fcuking love sticks made from random objects. I'm off now actually to buy a plastic vagina...
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

SLG3000 #0050 GET!!

Now just to find the time to put it to good use... (and shoot some pics)
Animaitor

Post by Animaitor »

#0039 here. I need to to some more tests but the initial feeling is positive. Not as good as the XRGB-3 + emotia combo though but for the low cost and easy installation, this device is a steal!!

bencao74, we need a manual in English :mrgreen:
xavierjesus wrote:Fcuking love sticks made from random objects. I'm off now actually to buy a plastic vagina...
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

... ich bin ja schon am schreiben tun :)) Yes, currently in work and will be released this week. Perhaps you can reproduce the DIP settings in the german manual, anyway... :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Not as good as the XRGB-3 + emotia combo though
seriously ? why ? Of course the SLG3000 serves another purpose, but let's focus on 480p sources for a moment. The SLG3000 is definitely sharper than the picture ran through an Emotia and XRGB just to get the same results.

If I had a XRGB/Emotia setup, I would throw out the Emotia. Connect the 480p/VGA sources directly to the XRGB (either D2 input or passthrough), add the SLG3000 to the XRGB's VGA output and voila - same result, easier use, one piece less of equipment and the addition of scanlines for 480i sources.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Perhaps you can reproduce the DIP settings in the german manual, anyway
Is this so complicated that anyone needs a manual for it ? Just put the dips to on/on/on/off/on. That should be the stardard setting. Depending on the deinterlacer used up front for 480i sources on/on/on/on/off might show better results, but that's nothing you can tell before. Just by trial and error.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Is this so complicated that anyone needs a manual for it ? Just put the dips to on/on/on/off/on. That should be the stardard setting. Depending on the deinterlacer used up front for 480i sources on/on/on/on/off might show better results, but that's nothing you can tell before. Just by trial and error.
btw, you play around with the DIP Setting. DIP 4 on, DIP 5 off (or DIP4 off, DIP5 on) will produce scanlines for the 480 resolution (uneven and even lines for scanlines). Just by setting the DIPs nothing can be destroyed
Animaitor

Post by Animaitor »

gracias bencao74 :lol: I'm sure we won't brake this thing by playing around with the knob and dips but still, having a little PDF with the different connections, options and results would be nice. Going though a thread is not ideal in my opinion.

I used the SLG3000 directly as I'm testing results from CAVE games at 480p. For some reason Ketsui looked "better" or I might say softer with the XRGB-3/emotia combo and with less jiggle or broken vertical lines. Didn't set up the XRGB-3/emotia since I came back to Spain so I should compare side by side. Just judging from memory and some captures I had on Ketsui. Don't get me wrong, I like the SLG3000 very much and I think it's a great product. It just gives different results.This is obviously subjective and depending on the person, you might get a different opinion.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You're likely right about Ketsui. I guess the added softness by the Emotia conversion covers some of the scaling artefacts due to the bad scaling implementation. Anyway, give the XRGB+SLG combo a try. I'm sure you'll like it :)
Animaitor

Post by Animaitor »

I will! Thanks for your always helpful info, Fudoh.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

You're likely right about Ketsui. I guess the added softness by the Emotia conversion covers some of the scaling artefacts due to the bad scaling implementation. Anyway, give the XRGB+SLG combo a try. I'm sure you'll like it
Couldn't you just use the bilinear filter to produce a similar effect?
Animaitor

Post by Animaitor »

For Ketsui, bicubic gives me the best results (more pleasant to my eyes) on both the SLG3000 and XRGB-3/emotia combo.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

added a quick info to the order page

Quick Info - http://wp1114205.wp150.webpack.hosteuro ... age_id=745