GD: ADVANCED NANOSTRAY

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
GIANT SQUID

GD: ADVANCED NANOSTRAY

Post by GIANT SQUID »

I thought i would start a strats thread for this game. I actually really like this game, but the scoring system is really bad...It has some fundamental design flaws....I hope I am severly mistaken and wrong about the scoring system, cause otherwise, this is a great game....

anyway, go ahead and get some stuff up here, ia m gonna see if i can get some questions answered from our buddy bartman...

I have been working on the 1st level, (mitsurgin jungle, or whatever) and i fot something like 400,000 + but i only shot when i was hitting somthing, didn't use the coin attract much, and killed EVERYTHING and NEVER used my secondary fire.....hmmm that sounds weird cause i saw soooooooooooooo many higher scores.... anyway, it is all about valor i guess....but a score which can be anywhere from 5000-160000 points can really make you change how you play....it is actually BAD to kill some big enemies cause you are shooting too long....hmmmm.

anyway, post strats, comments, rants and junk..
Darkcomet72

Post by Darkcomet72 »

If you're going for score, target Valor for each stage should be:

Stage 1:25,000
Stage 2:17,000
Stage 3:19,000
Stage 4:15,000
Stage 5:30,000
Stage 6:26,000
Stage 7:29,000
Stage 8:30,000

Anyway, these are the average valor scores the experts are getting.
Ed: He asked for mustard Eddy! Do you have corn in your ears mister?
LAshujin

Post by LAshujin »

I was under the impression that scoring was all about chaining the blue X500 bonus things

That's where most of my points come from. By the end of that stage it's like 22X500 which by my math is 11,000 points per blue disk
GIANT SQUID

Post by GIANT SQUID »

So, explain, is it just NOT smart to ever use secondary fire, except for on bosses that don't have a blue con that pops out? uuuuuug that is lame....
Darkcomet72

Post by Darkcomet72 »

I don't see how that is lame.... If you were allowed to use sub weapons, scoring in this game would be too easy.
Ed: He asked for mustard Eddy! Do you have corn in your ears mister?
GIANT SQUID

Post by GIANT SQUID »

ahh, not quite... shin'en could have balanced it out. i personally think that not being able to use secondary weapons at all is just stupid, but if you like having LESS options...more power to you... it's just bad game design, plain and simple, but whatever floats yer boat. honestly if they wanted to make the game harder,or make it more difficult to achieve higher scores, they could have come up with more creative ways to do so. don't get me wrong, cause i really like this game, but i think it has it's flaws.
DavidHolliss

Post by DavidHolliss »

blue coins are where the big big points are at, on some levels you can get over 50x500 per blue coin, all levels (except last one) can be completed easily without using the secondary weapon with a bit of practice.

As a starting point, there are 33 blue coins available on level 1 (including the two from the end of level boss)
GIANT SQUID

Post by GIANT SQUID »

is it possible to kill all the enemies in a level without using secondary fire? i think it would be tough in levels like the last one where those bog sub looking ships take damage like a tank....
Ender

Post by Ender »

I suck at this game, but I think it's sometimes more beneficial to use smart-bombs on enemies that are nearly impossible to kill instead of wasting valor-points trying to defeat them with your primary weapons. The big subs on the last mission are a great example.

If you've used all your smart bombs then another strategy is to use your secondary weapon and then immediatly suicide. You'll continue to chain blue coins when you come back on your next life. I think this works well in Sunahara Desert and Zenshoh Station where there are those sections where you get a bunch of big ships flying through.
DavidHolliss

Post by DavidHolliss »

the last level is the only one where I use the secondary weapon, and my score reflects this, find it a very tricky level otherwise, so many small but hard to kill enenmies firing at you make it very hard to get to the boss with all three lives intact.

On the earlier level mentioned with the big ships it's worth using one or two ofyour bombs at the right time because you can get way more than 3,000 points (for each bomb) for destroying a couple of big ships and all the coins they drop.

Such a shame there's no high scoring replay vids floating about.
Ender

Post by Ender »

Here's something else I just discovered:

Enemies that are dispatched with the lightning weapon yield more coins for some reason. And on Sekihi Belt the asteroids split into more pieces when you use lightning. I can't figure out why this is, but it generally means that consistently using the lighting weapon yields 2 to 3 times more points depending on the stage.
DavidHolliss

Post by DavidHolliss »

your right, thought everyone was aware tbh that all bigger enemies give out more coins if destroyed by lightening weapon, lightening is great weapon, plus it's very rare that you can destroy enenmies off screen with it also. The official Nanostray forums are quite helpful .....