How do you hold your stick?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ratikal

How do you hold your stick?

Post by ratikal »

One of the reasons I think I can't adjust to a stick is how I'm holding it. Currently, I'm holding it with index finger over the top and my thumb on the bottom. Are there any better ways to hold it? How do you guys hold one?
Elixir

Re: How do you hold your stick?

Post by Elixir »

I can't imagine that working out at all. I usually hold my stick between my middle and "ring" finger, after I start getting arm fatigue from wine glass.

It doesn't matter though, what matters is what you can work with. I used to use ring/pinky and still do occasionally, it's my "original" style. If nothing works for you, I'd recommend trying some pads. They're portable and hardly take up any room. Saturn pads, especially. Not that PS1/2/3 trash, that'll just ruin your hands.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
STG~PASI

Post by STG~PASI »

ratikal wrote:Currently, I'm holding it with index finger over the top and my thumb on the bottom.
:shock:
"Use a bomb when it comes to a pinch. It is wasteful to die before using bomb."
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

ratikal wrote:Currently, I'm holding it with index finger over the top and my thumb on the bottom.
Oh, you mean THIS stick... Well, I usually use my right hand, gripping firmly around... wait... oh, okay....

:oops:
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
Vyxx
Banned User

Post by Vyxx »

Excuse me?
mastercello

Post by mastercello »

With both hands normaly... :P
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

Grip the ball with the thumb and index with the middle finger resting on the stick.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

Kay, tried out the wineglass method and now I can see why a lot of people recommend using sticks. Feels very precise and easy to manipulate. I think I'm still gonna order converters for my Saturn Pad, but man, playing with a stick is a lot funner!
Alien Soldier

Post by Alien Soldier »

I wonder why kernow hasn't posted a pic of his Moonwalk holding technique yet, this is the absolute best way to hold a stick ever. He posted it here once, too bad the pics are down. Kernow if you read this, it's time to bring the pics back ! :P
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

Hmm, yesterday I gave the wineglass technique a try, and waddayasay, it seems to work very well for me.very precise, and easier to pull off those very short and very quick "twitch" movements in all 8 directions. I think I'll stick to it. :-D
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

It's only been 2 weeks, maybe like 3 days trying out the wineglass method, but I'm really thinking a pad is more me. I picked up ESPGaluda today with a pad and on my first go, got 22M points and lost my last life at second phase of the last boss' last form. My best score is like 12M with the stick...
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

I don't like the wineglass method myself, and it hurt my hand a bit too some time ago now. I think its good if you are playing fighting games, but not for much else. It might not be the best for you too.
The Unknown? I'm the one who knows!
My shmup achievements | and my Superplays!
kernow

Post by kernow »

I don't like it either, just doesn't feel natural at all, even for fighters.
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

Here is quite an informative video on all the different ways to hold a stick, try them all out! Props if you go with the douchbag hold