Street Fighter IV TE Stick and Mame Hat Switch Issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
rancid3000

Street Fighter IV TE Stick and Mame Hat Switch Issue

Post by rancid3000 »

I've had my SF TE stick for a while know and I love using it with my Xbox. I tried a while ago to get it to work right in MAME but ultimately gave up. Now that Ketsui is working in MAME i'm much more interested in getting this thing working properly.

I can only get MAME to recognize the stick as a hat switch. The buttons work fine. I feel that I'm not getting the same precision movement on MAME with the hat switches as I do on the Xbox. I also do not fully understand what a hat switch is. It appears to me that I'm only getting 4 way movement as opposed to the full 8 way movements I'm supposed to be getting.

I've tried pretty much everything including joy2key, xpadder, and this fix from the SRK forums (http://shoryuken.com/f177/se-te-hrap-ex ... rs-180021/)
speedlolita

Re: Street Fighter IV TE Stick and Mame Hat Switch Issue

Post by speedlolita »

Change your stick from RS to DP or LS.

Ez.
rancid3000

Post by rancid3000 »

speedlolita wrote:Change your stick from RS to DP or LS.

Ez.
I can only get it to work in the DP setting as a hat switch. Is that bad or is that what it's supposed to be? Thanks for the reply.
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

rancid3000 wrote:

Ez.
I can only get it to work in the DP setting as a hat switch. Is that bad or is that what it's supposed to be? Thanks for the reply.
It is no problem. A hat switch is nothing other than a joystick, stick upon another joystick. :-) The input it registers is normal "digital input", e.g.: on or off. Either you push a direction or not, so it is perfectely usable for MAME.
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
rancid3000

Post by rancid3000 »

Drachenherz wrote:
rancid3000 wrote:

Ez.
It is no problem. A hat switch is nothing other than a joystick, stick upon another joystick. :-) The input it registers is normal "digital input", e.g.: on or off. Either you push a direction or not, so it is perfectely usable for MAME.
That definitely helped clear things up. So I'm guessing that a diagonal input on the stick would just regester as lets say the up and right button pushed at the same time? Just wondering since there are no diagonal button settings.
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

rancid3000 wrote:That definitely helped clear things up. So I'm guessing that a diagonal input on the stick would just regester as lets say the up and right button pushed at the same time? Just wondering since there are no diagonal button settings.
Yes, a diagonal is the combined input of to directions. For left-up it is... guess what... left and up together. :-) It's the same with a joystick with microswitches, as they are found in arcades, or with a regular pads: They only got switches for up-down-left-right.
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
rancid3000

Post by rancid3000 »

Drachenherz wrote:
rancid3000 wrote:That definitely helped clear things up. So I'm guessing that a diagonal input on the stick would just regester as lets say the up and right button pushed at the same time? Just wondering since there are no diagonal button settings.
Yes, a diagonal is the combined input of to directions. For left-up it is... guess what... left and up together. :-) It's the same with a joystick with microswitches, as they are found in arcades, or with a regular pads: They only got switches for up-down-left-right.
Thanks. I appreciate the noob-friendly answer haha. I know little about arcade sticks and how they work but now i'm learning!