GD: DoDonPachi Dai Fukkatsu (DFK) 1.5 scoring basics, etc.

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
MmSadda

GD: DoDonPachi Dai Fukkatsu (DFK) 1.5 scoring basics, etc.

Post by MmSadda »

I'm playing bomb mode on DFK currently, and can't really get the scoring down; I searched and didn't see any threads on scoring in DFK 1.5 Bomb Mode.

What's the basic strategy? What's most relevant to scoring high in this game?

Thanks

Collin

<changed RQ to GD -inc.>
-Collin
Emuser

Re: RQ: DoDonPachi Dai Fukkatsu (DFK) 1.5 scoring basics, etc.

Post by Emuser »

MmSadda wrote:I'm playing bomb mode on DFK currently, and can't really get the scoring down; I searched and didn't see any threads on scoring in DFK 1.5 Bomb Mode.

What's the basic strategy? What's most relevant to scoring high in this game?

Thanks

Collin
I'll try to cover basics

The key to scoring is to hyper in the beginning of a level(usually repeatedly) and cranking your hits as much as possible, then chain the rest of the level without getting hit bombing or dropping your hit chain while your hyper meter is full but unused.

Bees that can be uncovered with the *head* of your laser (a.k.a. having to let go and have the initial tip hit the bee) give hyper if they are picked up when green, points when gold, or both if "white" changing from one color to another. Learning where the bees are is key to getting your hyper back faster.

There are many areas where you are supposed to get close with the "aura" that surrounds your ship when lasering, which in turn refills your hyper meter more quickly(example the boats at the very beginning of the game when your ship lasers right above them at the very top of the screen as they are coming out, close up against bosses or big enemies, etc).

Getting onto the alternate route makes it easier to get higher scores compared to the normal route.

I don't want to go into uber detail and overload with information, so hopefully this may have explained a thing or two.
MmSadda

Post by MmSadda »

Good info there! I wasn't familiar with the bee-switching trick
ResumeDPosition wrote:There are many areas where you are supposed to get close with the "aura" that surrounds your ship when lasering, which in turn refills your hyper meter more quickly(example the boats at the very beginning of the game when your ship lasers right above them at the very top of the screen as they are coming out, close up against bosses or big enemies, etc).
So in general, there are two ways to build the Hyper meter - getting enemies within the "aura", and getting bees while white/changing, correct?

Then once I'm using a Hyper, what kind of shot should I use in different situations? I.e. I've had luck scoring by alternating between shot and laser in Hyper - it seems like getting the hit counter high and then collecting stars is key to scoring. Is that at all correct?
ResumeDPosition wrote:Getting onto the alternate route makes it easier to get higher scores compared to the normal route.
How do you get into the alternate routes?
-Collin
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

MmSadda wrote:Good info there! I wasn't familiar with the bee-switching trick
The points you get from white/gold forms is small compared to what you'd get through good chaining, but every bit can count sometimes.
So in general, there are two ways to build the Hyper meter - getting enemies within the "aura", and getting bees while white/changing, correct?
Aura on certain enemies(usually bigger enemies, stage 1 with the boats is an exception), collecting bees when they are green/white, and destroying enemies normally all contribute to hyper gain with the bomb ship(power ship can build hyper using it's boost hyper shot on enemy bullets).
Then once I'm using a Hyper, what kind of shot should I use in different situations? I.e. I've had luck scoring by alternating between shot and laser in Hyper - it seems like getting the hit counter high and then collecting stars is key to scoring. Is that at all correct?
It comes down to a matter of learning what to do in which specific areas of the game. For example, staying in the top left corner at the very start of stage 2, hypering and then lasering over the tanks while invincible to get about 50% hyper back, then using your shot to destroy enemy bullets from the helicopters coming at you from the side all the while waiting to get the green bee that sits there shortly afterwards. You should be trying to hyper, then have a full/almost full hyper meter again
by the time your previous one is over

Another example is stage 3, where the first two huge lasers that also shoot side lasers, hypering, lasering, and staying in between them two without destroying them cranks your hits really high, remembering to use shots to repel bullets from time to time. Also in stage 5 at the beginning, the big gray laser things, it is easy to get tons of hits by lasering right next to where their lasers are coming out as soon as they appear on screen.

It's all basically a process of memorization and remembering key points to hyper. Stars are actually not a very big contributor to scores, they just seem to be worth (a value X your # of hits) so they can sometimes add a nice little chunk of score if you do a good chain, such as the ones you collect before the stage 4 boss since there are a lot of them at that point. If you want i could do a breakdown of how i'd approach with a bomb strategy(it isn't the best since I play power but it could probably help)
How do you get into the alternate routes?
There's a link at the bottom of the high score topic's first post that goes into detail about it.

Gone till monday, I'll answer unanswered questions when I get back. I should consider doing a ST(Shmup Treatsie explaining the game in greater detail) maybe...I don't think anyone has done one yet for Daifukkatsu(1.5)
MmSadda

Post by MmSadda »

Yeah, for as hot as this game is, and complex as scoring is, I was a bit surprised there wasn't more info on it! That should really give me a very nice start for now - getting more familiar with the game itself and working on the basics of scoring should keep me occupied at this point - you threw out a LOT of good info for me to review and process right there. :)

If you do a more in-depth strategy write-up, though, please do post here and let me know!
-Collin
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

MmSadda wrote:Yeah, for as hot as this game is, and complex as scoring is, I was a bit surprised there wasn't more info on it! That should really give me a very nice start for now - getting more familiar with the game itself and working on the basics of scoring should keep me occupied at this point - you threw out a LOT of good info for me to review and process right there. :)

If you do a more in-depth strategy write-up, though, please do post here and let me know!
I had a nice in-depth guide I made out of boredom for Arcade UFO in Texas last year, I'm looking around to see if I can find it or not.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP I STILL HAVE IT. I thought I lost it, I will edit it and make some finishing touches, submit it later and see what people think of it.
MmSadda

Post by MmSadda »

ResumeDPosition wrote:I had a nice in-depth guide I made out of boredom for Arcade UFO in Texas last year, I'm looking around to see if I can find it or not.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP I STILL HAVE IT. I thought I lost it, I will edit it and make some finishing touches, submit it later and see what people think of it.
Awesome! Whenever you get a chance to post that, even if it's not polished, I'd LOVE to see it.

You rule for posting this!
-Collin
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

I took a few small bits out and added some other stuff in, but I'm sure that those who want to learn how this game works will learn a thing or two from this. Feel free to ask questions if yall have any, or if there is something that others believe I should go more in-depth about, I will. I couldn't think of a place to "host" the pdf file I made, so I just made it a mediafire link for the time being that way I can make changes later if I need to do another draft for whatever reason.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ft3tdxdx2c9jmg0

There are some things I did forget about, I can't promise the extras would make the whole thing much bigger, but you may never know what you'll learn(example: Type B Power has the shortest switching time between it's normal and boost modes, meaning it can laser after switching much faster than the other two power ships)
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

Nice guide ResumedDPosition! I didn't know autobombing in power was different depending if you were in normal or boost type. Great for both beginners and veterans alike. How was this posted at Arcade UFO? Seems like it'd be a little long for your average person passing by the game.
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

UGHH this scoring system is way to complex for me. I'll just stick to survial for DFK. I like Futari original alot because you can explain the system in just a couple of sentences.. Not saying DFK sucks or anything. I guess it's just not for me.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

EPS21 wrote:Nice guide ResumedDPosition! I didn't know autobombing in power was different depending if you were in normal or boost type. Great for both beginners and veterans alike. How was this posted at Arcade UFO? Seems like it'd be a little long for your average person passing by the game.
Well I printed it out and put it in a little spot next to the DFK machine, a few people were able to put it to use and reach the Tsuujou loop but the printout was eventually taken away by who I dont know. It probably was information overload to random people passing by though but oh well.
burgerkingdiamond wrote:UGHH this scoring system is way to complex for me. I'll just stick to survial for DFK. I like Futari original alot because you can explain the system in just a couple of sentences.. Not saying DFK sucks or anything. I guess it's just not for me.
Probably true for some people. I really liked the game when I started playing though so I stuck with it and bothered to take time aside and dig deeper on a game that was not covered so much. I watched youtube videos, learned where the bees were within an hour, then reached the Tsuujou loop on my very next playthrough afterwards. I was also lucky enough to have someone give me the Superplay DVD for the game since everyone there expected me to make the greatest use out of it after plaguing the machine with my scores all over it. It just depends how much you like the game and if you feel the extra time to learn stuff is worth it or not.
kyuzo

Post by kyuzo »

Do you guys know of any advice for getting more hyper bar out of the aura attack? I can do it fine on bosses (I think because the positions are easier to find) but I have trouble getting hyper quick enough for some of the scoring possibilities I'm seeing in super play vids. The best example is probably the start of 1-2 where you pretty much need to have full hyper again to drop out of hyper and then kill the big enemy right away, but I can't seem to get enough hyper by then no matter what I do... (I do know about the invincibility when enemies come on screen but that doesn't seem to help me enough)

PS in reading this thread again I noticed a small scoring detail that I think is wrong concerning the stars. I'm pretty sure the stars actually give you combo value / 10 points per star so they can add up with high combo values. Clearly not as big as being able to keep chains though...
DOM

Post by DOM »

Do you guys know of any advice for getting more hyper bar out of the aura attack? I can do it fine on bosses (I think because the positions are easier to find) but I have trouble getting hyper quick enough for some of the scoring possibilities I'm seeing in super play vids. The best example is probably the start of 1-2 where you pretty much need to have full hyper again to drop out of hyper and then kill the big enemy right away, but I can't seem to get enough hyper by then no matter what I do... (I do know about the invincibility when enemies come on screen but that doesn't seem to help me enough)
Stage 1-2 is one of the parts i can chain constantly now. My "trick" is that i move the stick (or whatever you play with) forward befor the stage actually begins (so that you are instantly moving forward), you should notice a red traffic light on your way up the screen when your ship is above the traffic light start your hyperlaser and move to the left. If you do it right you will have full hyper after collecting the first bee. Try it in training mode you will quickly get the feeling for it. good luck!
kyuzo

Post by kyuzo »

Not quite there yet, but that definitely helped :) I think I was too focused on where to be rather than the timing maybe? I think I should be able to get this with some more practice mode, thanks :)
dannnnn

Post by dannnnn »

On stage 1-2 at the Ura midboss, the final pattern it does with the four sets of blue bullets in between all the pink lasers; is there a trick to getting the last two lasers to come out grouped together?

You can see what I mean at 1:03 in this vid.

I'm guessing it's your position which determines it, but despite trying to copy that in training many times over, I can't manage to find any consistency at all.
Observer wrote:WELCOME TO VIOLENT CITY. That's all the storyline I need.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

The tank seems to re-orient itself to the player's position maybe twice. The guy in the video is staying at the bottom left of the screen so that whatever lasers are spit out, he can grind those up until he can grab the bee.

Laser placement is purely random, at least according to the DDPR players I talked to in Japan, and my personal experience. When you get a juicy opportunity, take it. If not wait til next time. Not much more you can do IIRC. Incidentally sometimes you'll get three in a tight group.
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
dannnnn

Post by dannnnn »

Cheers, good to know.
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

One method you see often in superplays is staying pretty high and near the main cannon of the tank. I think that might be most consistent for good hits but it's not very easy to do.

Here's how I do it. Sticking in the lower right corner gives me at least 7000 hits pretty consistently and sometimes I can reach 10000 hits right there if the spheres happen to align well.
dannnnn

Post by dannnnn »

Thanks Erppo, I'll try out your method.

I'm stuck with the PAL version at the moment, so my replay options are limited.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

I just tried the bottom right thing and I only got like a 1,000 hits off it. Hit count based on laser luck is so terrible. Not that it really matters cause my chain breaks sometime before and right after the midboss.
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Could we please keep the pointless whining out of the Strategy board, thank you.

You're supposed to, you know, think and react to what happens. You can always get at least 7k hits there, no matter how the spheres are fired.

---

Edit: For something more constructive, I felt like making a ghetto recording to show how I usually do it and that it's indeed possible to consistently get good hits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRjrLr1RgBE
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Chaos Phoenixma wrote:I just tried the bottom right thing and I only got like a 1,000 hits off it. Hit count based on laser luck is so terrible.
There's no luck. You need to aura those spheres so that laseres from all four sides are continually canceled; unsurprisingly it results in 4x hit gain rate.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
dannnnn

Post by dannnnn »

Erppo wrote:Edit: For something more constructive, I felt like making a ghetto recording to show how I usually do it and that it's indeed possible to consistently get good hits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRjrLr1RgBE
Helped a lot, it feels like you get more time by going from right to left.