RQ: Lords/Winds of Thunder last boss

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Herr Schatten

RQ: Lords/Winds of Thunder last boss

Post by Herr Schatten »

Can someone point me to a good strategy on how to beat him?

In his first form he gives me much trouble dodging the star-shaped shots while staying between the columns of fire.
I always position myself between the second and the third column, so my Earth Armor fire hits him fully, but when he shoots I can only move up or down and the star-shaped shots just follow me wherever I go.

I have absolutely no problems with his second form.

For his third form, is there a better strategy than just madly dodging the lasers and the horn?
Just bombing him to death (which is a good strategy for finishing off some of the trickier earlier bosses) doesn't seem to work, unfortunately.
Bydobasher

Post by Bydobasher »

Haven't played in awhile, so take my advice with a grain of salt....

For the first form, I've never really given it much thought. Don't bombs work on the first form? If you have no problems with the second form and the third form is largely impervious to bombs, then maybe you should try them on the first form.

As for the third form, what attacks does it use? I remember a big claw/spike/horn from the ground, and then 90 degree lasers from its mouth. I think that if you stay at the top of the screen the claw/spike/horn won't hit you, so you just have to worry about the lasers. If you're using the Earth armor, then you go close to him so that the Earth attack is hitting him in the head. When he fires the laser you need to back up to give yourself room, and then rush forwards to your previous attacking position. If you moved far enough backwards then the lasers should harmlessly leave the screen behind you. I don't think you need be hit by this form of the boss at all if you use this technique.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

This sounds like an excellent strategy. I'll try it next time.

Thanks.
Bydobasher

Post by Bydobasher »

Let me know if it works out.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Ah, it worked like a charm.

*marks WoT "cleared"*

If you just stay on the top side of the screen, the fight suddenly becomes incredibly easy. And you don't even have to worry about the huge fireballs coming from the Demon's mouth.

Still, it bugs me that I know of no way to properly dodge the shots of the boss's first form. Bombing him works well enough, but it always feels a bit wrong, if you know what I mean. (Some of the earlier bosses I bomb out of laziness and because I like a quick kill, not because I don't know how to handle their attacks.)
boom

Post by boom »

For the last boss, first form get right up next to him and start firing. Once he becomes an active target, your sword will deal him some serious damage. You will still get hit from 1-3 times in my experience though. That should not be a problem since you are fully powered up at that point. And I agree about the advice of using earth armor on the final boss.