Great Lakes—Michigan/Ohio Fellowship — ALL welcome!

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Sonic R

Re: Great Lakes—Michigan/Ohio Fellowship — ALL welcome!

Post by Sonic R »

:cry:

A sad moment indeed…

RIP Kinn aka ROBOTRON…
a wonderful and humble fellow whom I am fortunate to have met… you will be missed. It was great to have a fellow who appreciated the classics of a niche genre, great games such as SMS Power Strike, Compile, Technosoft, and many great others…
This weekend I am paying my tribute by playing some Compile hits!

May we make a moment at the next gathering, when ever it may be, to remember a great fellow and a vibrant member of the Great Lakes scene in both shooting and fighting games, and a great person in general.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Another Michigander who regrets not meeting the man in person. RIP.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

My prayers and condolences to his family.

This is terrible news.
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

I agree with a moment at the next meeting in memorial. Perhaps run some of his old favorites - Zanac, Gradius V, Mr. Do, Burgertime, Viewpoint, etc.

It may interest some on here to know that he did get to try out some offerings on 360 finally, Deathsmiles, Mushihime, Espgaluda II, KOF Skystage, and he rather liked all of them. Seems that ultimately he got over his Cave-hate. KOF, well, it's SNK. A man carrying the Neo Geo torch like him could never oppose SNK.

Our friend Brandon was actually talking about getting people together to go in on a hall rental, and having a memorial gaming night for the man. I think that would be pretty cool too.
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

I feel it would be a great idea if we are able to secure a venue for this occassion. As I had said on fb, I am more than willing to contribute in any way possible.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Sonic R wrote:I feel it would be a great idea if we are able to secure a venue for this occassion. As I had said on fb, I am more than willing to contribute in any way possible.
This is *awful* news, as I'm just learning it this way. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and family. I'm so, so glad to have known him.

If anyone has any funeral information for him, and can pass it on to me, I'd be very, very grateful. I'd like to attend, if possible.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Services for: KINN HENDERSON will be held SATURDAY OCTOBER 23,2010 -VERHEYDEN FUNEREAL HOME- 16300 MACK AVE. GROSSE POINTE PARK Time: 1:00 Family Hour/ 1:30 Memorial Service
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

My condolences to all that knew him, and all who were friends with him. I didn't have the pleasure of meeting him, but I hear nothing but great things about his company and frienship.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Did anybody pick up DFK? I thought about preordering it, but then I looked at my small pile of neglected 360 shmups and decided against it.

Also, I'm getting Open Tray errors now. :x
drboom

Post by drboom »

Hey guys - started planning for the Chicagoland Winter Carnival 2011 here:

Chicagoland Winter Carnival 2011 discussion

Would love to see you guys make it again - sorry its been so long since I had a meet! :)
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

for drboom, I had just posted in the thread, and hope to make attendence!

for davey, I had not yet got DFK, hope to have by Christmas time… money is tight and I had just bought GT5… otherwise, I have been keeping purchases to a minimum… I had only finally downloaded Guwange this past weekend!

If there is interest, perhaps a gathering around the end of the month? possibly sometime between Christmas and New Years? I hope to have DDP DFK at that time too…
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

I'm looking to have that week off of work. I have some friends coming into town on the 28th for a day though, and there's an Atariage mini-meet at Pinball Pete's the 30th... but the rest of the week is pretty much clear.
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
Dale

Post by Dale »

I have DDP daikfutsu, I would also be able to bring my japanese 360 to the chicago meet. I would like to make the trip this year I'm willing to help pay for gas if I can get a ride.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Sonic R wrote:If there is interest, perhaps a gathering around the end of the month? possibly sometime between Christmas and New Years? I hope to have DDP DFK at that time too…
Christmas and New Year's Day are both on Saturdays. Lousy calendar.

I have that whole week off, though. Aside from spending Christmas weekend in Cleveland, I think my only other commitment that week is improving my Crazy Taxi score. 8)
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Sounds like a plan to me. We should definitely get something going on during the week between Christmas and New Years. I also have that week off.

If I can get everything squared away, perhaps we could throw down in my basement like the first big meet we did. Figure out a day that every one can agree on and I will let ya guys know the status on my end.

In order to do this I may need some assistance to get a bunch of TVs down stairs.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Ayanami wrote:Sounds like a plan to me. We should definitely get something going on during the week between Christmas and New Years. I also have that week off.

If I can get everything squared away, perhaps we could throw down in my basement like the first big meet we did. Figure out a day that every one can agree on and I will let ya guys know the status on my end.

In order to do this I may need some assistance to get a bunch of TVs down stairs.
This sounds great!
As always, I am willing to offer help, offer any additional consoles, and I'll even bring my television along! Any day is good as I am off from the 23rd to the 3rd…

So guess all is left is what day will work for everyone…

of note, I will probably be attending the Atari Age event on the 30th so that day may not work for myself and Kevin… BUT I am willing to make acception if the 30th will bring out the most participation for our gathering - as I am saying, The Great Lakes Fellowship take priority over the Michigan Classic Gamers Group… so lets figure out a day we can get everyone together… its been too long!
Davey

Post by Davey »

Davey wrote:I have that whole week off, though. Aside from spending Christmas weekend in Cleveland, I think my only other commitment that week is playing Virtual On Force
Fixed.

Any news on a date?
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

It really does not matter to me. I was hoping people would start posting days that they like and what not. I guess I should post it on facebook or something. It is all the rage these days I guess.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Not seeing any activity here... Dan Randolph might be joining Facebook soon. :o
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

I was busy through out the vacation catching up with friends. I got the basement spruced up a little so if we want to do a meet in the new year now I can pull it off. We will have to set up a weekend coming up. When you free Davey? Pretty much every Saturday/Sunday?
Davey

Post by Davey »

Ayanami wrote:When you free Davey? Pretty much every Saturday/Sunday?
Yeah, pretty much. Antisocial hermitry FTW.
drboom

Post by drboom »

Hey all - just so you guys know, we had to move the dates to March 4-6th - still hoping to have you all in Chicago!
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

I am throwing a shooty gathering on Saturday night if anyone is interested. I know Jazz wants to do it up. I will have to try and get a hold of Dave and the usual suspects. PM for address if you don't already know it.
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

I know no one checks this board any more but for all those that attended the meet I held, thanks. Twas a great time and I hope everybody had as much of a good time as I did.
Davey

Post by Davey »

As the sole reader of this thread (probably), allow me to thank Ayanami for hosting. Good times were had by some, others left early, hopefully not due to my raging alcoholism or subpar personality or something. :o

Also, keep me in the loop with the Chicago plans. I took that Friday/Monday off, so I'm going for sure (probably Friday - Sunday if I fly solo).
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

Davey wrote:As the sole reader of this thread...

I actually read this thread quite often since I've lived my whole life in Michigan, but I am too far away (and too socially awkward) to do much more than read.
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

It was fun! Shame I had to pop off early, as the new DDP was pretty fun. Next time hopefully I can get more time with it! And of course, all that 5200 goodness...
quizknows

Post by quizknows »

man, I feel bad I haven't been on here in a while. Been giving my shmups a well-needed dusting off the last few days. As usual if anyone is in the lansing area let me know, you're welcome to stop by. I just finished building a NAOMI home setup, though I don't have any shumps for it yet. Plenty of console shmups, tated monitors, and arcade sticks to go around though. Sad I just missed a meet, but I was in the hospital for 2 weeks with a collapsed lung >_<
You might remember me from such movies as skate323k137 on neo-geo and racketboy forums.
Dale

Post by Dale »

quizknows wrote: Sad I just missed a meet, but I was in the hospital for 2 weeks with a collapsed lung >_<
That's why you don't ride your skate board like that.
quizknows

Post by quizknows »

Heh, go figure there was no accident involved. It has been quite a while since I've taken a spill skateboarding.

I had a "spontaneous pneumothorax"; basically, I woke up one day and my lung collapsed. Apparently it happens a lot to tall skinny folk like myself (6'2", 165lbs). It was supposed to be a 4 or 5 day hospital stay with 25% chance of surgery, but it ended up being a week pre-op and a week post-op, and now I have a "staple" in my lung and can't lift more than 10 pounds for the next few weeks. That makes for a good time to dust off the arcade sticks and catch up on some gaming, as I'm pretty much prohibited from exercise.
You might remember me from such movies as skate323k137 on neo-geo and racketboy forums.