Greeting, a noobie here and some question!!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
nsonthi77@hotmail.com

Greeting, a noobie here and some question!!

Post by nsonthi77@hotmail.com »

First of all I've been a fan of shmups for a long time since I've walked into the arcade for the first time as a kid in 89. Sky shark got me hooked to shooters and I've never look back and even today I stiill love them.

Now that I'm new to this board, there're something I don't quite understand from reading some of the stuff mention here. Here's the question and excuse my ignorant if they comes off offensive to you.

1. Why is Metal Slug,In The Hunt,...etc, not considred shmups when all you do is shoot and blow stuff up?

2. What is cave shooters? Is that shmups that you could only import?

3. Where did you guy get a hold of these outdated shmups(not including roms)? Is their a special vendor for shmups?

To give you an idea of what I like here's my top 10 in no particular order:

1. Philosama(PSX) - Most adrenaline driven shooter ever made with a story!
2. Axley(SNES) - came out way ahead of its time and is the best shooter on the SNES, that has some of the coolest boss ever(gigantic flame demon!).
3. Raiden Trad 1/2(PSX) - One of the most influential shooter that spawned hundreds of others.
4. Pulstar(NeoGeo) - R-Type what? Best shooter on the Neo....you could say its R-Type on steroids.
5. Gyruss(arcade)- underatted and has a unique style.
6. Sky Shark(arcade) - My first love
7. Eihinder(PSX) - sophisicated and has a unique weapon pod system.
8. Super Star Soldiar(PCE) - Awesome weapon and the best shooter on the TG-16.
9. Rayforce(Saturn) - This game has some sick graphics and music!
10. RayStorm(PSX) - Best shooter on the PSX with awesome 60fps 3D graphics. I just don't understand how some people don't like it...
mannerbot

Re: Greeting, a noobie here and some question!!

Post by mannerbot »

nsonthi77@hotmail.com wrote:1. Why is Metal Slug,In The Hunt,...etc, not considred shmups when all you do is shoot and blow stuff up?

2. What is cave shooters? Is that shmups that you could only import?

3. Where did you guy get a hold of these outdated shmups(not including roms)? Is their a special vendor for shmups?
1. Metal Slug, Contra, Gunstar Heroes, etc. are run 'n' guns. "Shmup" is a very specific term for "space shooter" games with fixed scrolling. As such, Bangai-O is not a shmup. Metal Slug-type games are also commonly referred to as borderliners, and of course there is the general term of "shooter."

2. Cave is a company. Cave shooters are shmups developed by Cave. None of their games have a US release, so you would have to import them -- the ones that have console ports, anyway.

3. eBay or various forums.