How use a TV with your PC?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
evil_ash_xero

How use a TV with your PC?

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I was interested in hooking up a comp to my television, but i'm not sure how. It's standard definition CRT with component input.

Do I need some kind of VGA or DVI to component adapter?
kamiboy

Re: How use a TV with your PC?

Post by kamiboy »

Not unless your TV supports progressive scan via component input. Otherwise perhaps try and find a video card that supports S-video or component output, might not be easy these days I imagine.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Some laptops have svideo output on them.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Come to think of it you might be able to use tool, the name escapes me, that lets you create custom resolution and sync rates to force your display adapter to put out a signal that your TV will accept once it is fed to it through a VGA to component converter. Not sure though, but I've heard of people forcing their PC's to put out a 240p signal for connecting to a arcade monitor.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Some laptops have svideo output on them.
And so do some video cards! Some graphics cards have male-male S-Video plugs and a female S-Video output IIRC.

This trend has finally re-emerged for HDMI, too. My current graphics card has a HDMI plug (in addition to DisplayPort).
gray117

Post by gray117 »

There is soft15khz [forces video card to output 15khz ... ] ... quickres can then get you to the resolution you what.

If HV sync need to be seperate you can just go via vga - typically only available on certain pro equipment or arcade monitors NOT standard tvs.

If you can use scart you just need to make sure you can select/force av channel to scart rgb and get a vga>scart cable that ties hv sync into composite sync: RGBHV [vga connector] to RGBS [scart rgb]

For component I suppose it should be easy enough to similarly tie the HV sync to green....? .. probably some ready made cables that do this for you but can't say I've tried this myself.

About soft15khz:

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Cus ... Soft-15khz
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

Depending on your needs, something like this may suffice:

AVerMedia QuickPlay PC-to-TV Scan Converter
Don't bomb. DON'T BOMB.
Damn! Should have bombed.