GD: DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu (X360) Arrange B

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
nZero

GD: DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu (X360) Arrange B

Post by nZero »

DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu ver1.5 (X360) Arrange B Mode

Okay, since there are a lot of "wtf is going on in this mode", a lot having to do with the constantly changing patterns and the cluster of numbers on the screen, I figured I'd pull together everything I know about the mode so far and we could swap strats and info in this forum.

The mode is put together in the form of a score attack. A single stage is selected for play, and scores for each individual stage are tracked. The game saves the highest score you've reached for each stage, rather than just the score for the last playthrough. You get an infinite number of lives to use during the stage.

Your ship automatically fires its rapid shot when no buttons are held. Only 2 buttons are used. One switches between shot and laser, the other activates a bomb when pressed and a hyper when held down.

Ship Customizations

There are 3 customizations for the ship that can be selected before starting:
Bomb Custom - Bomb duration is lengthened, but the bomb/hyper gauge takes longer to refill
Laser Custom - Side lasers are lengthened, but the ship movement speed is reduced
Hyper Custom - Gives a period of invincibility immediately after activating the hyper, but the hyper time is shortened

Area Rank and Enemy Rank

The more a level is played, the stronger the enemy attacks will become and the more points their destruction is worth. The numbers at the bottom indicate the total area rank (from left to right: enemy health, bullet speed, bullet density) and the numbers over the enemies indicate their individual rank. Getting killed slightly reduces the rank of all enemies on screen at the time, and less slightly reduces the rank of the enemy that killed you. Play around with the numbers and build your own danmaku game!

Bees and Background Grids

All of the bees in each stage are already revealed but don't give any points.
Collecting a green bee will change the background to blue and enemies will fire high-speed aimed patterns and the blue number on the side will raise more rapidly.
Collecting an orange bee will change the background to red and enemies will fire slow, dense patterns and the orange number on the side will raise more rapidly.
Collecting a bee as it flashes will normally return the background to normal, however if a flashing bee is collected during a hyper then the background will turn green and all enemies will produce much more difficult patterns and pretty much every number on the screen will grow. Green background mode will also be automatically entered when exceeding the previous high score during the stage.
If you die, you lose a chunk of your score, the background returns to normal, and the blue and orange numbers will decrease by some amount.

Blue and Orange Numbers

The numbers on the right side affect the properties of enemy barrages. Blue affects bullet speed and orange affects pattern density. Killing enemies with laser raises blue more rapidly, killing enemies with shot raises orange more rapidly. While the background is normal (no blue/red/green grid present), using rapid shot will cause enemy patterns to favor speed, and using laser will cause them to favor density.

Onscreen Gauges

There are a couple of gauges on the very sides of the screen that aren't that easy to pay attention to during normal play. The red one is the destroy gauge, destroying enemies in quick succession will fill it up, and when it reaches the red zone all destroyed enemies will produce the steel hexagon "expert items" worth 10pts each. Collecting the expert items will raise the blue gauge, called the expert gauge. Raising the expert gauge adds a multiplier to rank increase, up to 3x growth rate at maximum.

There are a pair of gauges at the top, 1 full gauge = 1 bomb OR hyper. If both gauges are full and a B icon is present, you will autobomb when hit by an enemy bullet at the cost of 1 gauge. Collecting stars and destroying enemies will refill the gauges. Point-blank attacks on enemies will refill the gauges extremely rapidly.

Hypers and Bombs

Hypers raise your attack power and cause your shot to cancel pink bullets into expert items. As well, all expert items currently onscreen + produced when a hyper is invoked will be sucked into the ship. Bombs heavily damage everything in their blast radius, give temporary invincibility to the ship, and cause all expert items and star items onscreen to be sucked into the ship. If you manage to have 2 full gauges during a hyper, your ship will gain a blue aura. During this time you can use a bomb at no gauge cost (Free Bomb).

How2play

Actual strategy for highest scores looks something like this:
Play until rank is high enough to make even popcorn enemies exceptionally durable and worth lots of points, then use hyper invincibility to cancel a bunch of bullets and get right on top of them, then launch a bomb to destroy everything and use the point-blank gauge refill to gain extra bombs and continue your rampage.
Hmm... jack rank way up and bomb everything... no way Yagawa was involved in this mode, right?

... and that's all I've got for now. Any fact-checking and additional observations that you could provide would be appreciated, thanks :)
emphatic

Re: GD: DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu (X360) Arrange B

Post by emphatic »

Awesome guide. Started going at this mode today, and I found that letting your small pods hover on top of bosses will fill up your bomb/hyper meter in about 1 second. :lol: At least the first boss.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

This is fantastic, sir. Thanks! Now if only we had detailed write-ups for all the other modes for the poor souls (okay, probably just me) who can't even hit the first extend yet in 1.5, lulz. >.> But yeah, this makes Arrange B far less intimidating!
<trap15> I only pick high quality games
<trap15> I'm just pulling shit out of my ass tbh
DragonInstall

Post by DragonInstall »

I have a question on two achievements for Arrange B.

ハイパー*ハイパー (10)
Hyper continuously through Area 1 during a single play

What exactly does this mean? Just hold down the hyper button and continue to activate it every time it runs out? Seems really difficult or am I missing something.

鉄板LOVE (20)
Pull in over 10000 expert items in Area 3 during a single play

expert items are those weird chips that fall down? How in the world can you get 10000 of them in a single run? Don't they usually come out when your rank is high enough 1 per enemy?
Espgaluda III needs to happen.
nZero

Post by nZero »

DragonInstall wrote:What exactly does this mean? Just hold down the hyper button and continue to activate it every time it runs out? Seems really difficult or am I missing something.
Already answered here: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24786
DragonInstall wrote:expert items are those weird chips that fall down? How in the world can you get 10000 of them in a single run? Don't they usually come out when your rank is high enough 1 per enemy?
6 per enemy destroyed while the destroy gauge is full. Also 1 per pink bullet cancelled with rapid shot during a hyper. You'll need high stage rank and preferably green or orange grid background to have enough pink bullets, cancel a bunch with hyper shot and micrododge to collect, use the free bomb technique to suck them in if you get separated from a big chunk of them, and pay attention to which midboss and boss patterns you can lucratively milk.
DragonInstall

Post by DragonInstall »

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense now. But when you say 10 hypers in a row.. is that just 10 hypers during the stage, or it has to be continuous by holding the hyper down?

One last question.. how do you reset the ranks back to 0?
nZero

Post by nZero »

DragonInstall wrote:Thanks for the reply. Makes sense now. But when you say 10 hypers in a row.. is that just 10 hypers during the stage, or it has to be continuous by holding the hyper down?

Activating 10 hypers during one playthrough of the stage without dying is the requirement as far as I know. The shorter hyper duration from turning on Hyper Custom might be helpful.

As far as rank, there's no way to reset it that I know of other than deleting your save file and starting over. You could conceivably very very slowly reset it to zero by suiciding through the stage over and over again without destroying anything until all enemies and counters are back to their lowest rank.
flux

Post by flux »

nZero wrote:
DragonInstall wrote:Thanks for the reply. Makes sense now. But when you say 10 hypers in a row.. is that just 10 hypers during the stage, or it has to be continuous by holding the hyper down?

Activating 10 hypers during one playthrough of the stage without dying is the requirement as far as I know. The shorter hyper duration from turning on Hyper Custom might be helpful.

As far as rank, there's no way to reset it that I know of other than deleting your save file and starting over. You could conceivably very very slowly reset it to zero by suiciding through the stage over and over again without destroying anything until all enemies and counters are back to their lowest rank.
There's a menu under Options that lets you reset your scores and/or reset your ranks.
DragonInstall

Post by DragonInstall »

Thanks you two. All my questions about this mode is answered now.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Lol, it figures by the time I've just about figured all this out by myself after hours of playing, there's a thread detailing it all! It's helpful anyway, but there's only 2 things I can't really figure out. Regarding 2 of the Arrange B achievements:

ぬぅおおおお (10)
Pass through a large number of enemy bullets with hyper invincibility using Hyper Custom

I've used hyper custom many many times and the invincibility only lasts for literally about 1 second. I've gotten a red grid and waited for an extremely dense, slow pattern to surround me and used this invincibility to cancel about 20+ bullets at once and then veer off to the side to catch some more of them before it ends, and this still hasn't unlocked. Majorly wondering: does your invincibility thing last longer when you level up higher? and has anyone done this and have an approximate number or strategy of how to do it?

and also:

達人生 (10)
Raise the Expert Gauge to maximum

I know the expert gauge is the little one on the left and right sides of the screen that is just leveled up as you go and also when you collect the expert chips, but is this a cumulative achievement, or do you have to "max out" the meter all in one level? I take the expert gauge almost like an experience guage (or might be just that) almost like an RPG, where you're leveling up your ship as you go, but has anyone gotten this and can you confirm what it means? I think that'd about sum up all the questions about this mode for now.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
nZero

Post by nZero »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:I've used hyper custom many many times and the invincibility only lasts for literally about 1 second. I've gotten a red grid and waited for an extremely dense, slow pattern to surround me and used this invincibility to cancel about 20+ bullets at once and then veer off to the side to catch some more of them before it ends, and this still hasn't unlocked. Majorly wondering: does your invincibility thing last longer when you level up higher? and has anyone done this and have an approximate number or strategy of how to do it?
I got it accidentally by activating hyper just at the leading edge and charging into/through the second pattern of the Area 3 boss's last form, the one with the big spam of pink bullets. My rank for that stage and boss is quite high and I'm pretty sure I cancelled over 100 bullets in one go.
MachineAres 1CC wrote:I know the expert gauge is the little one on the left and right sides of the screen that is just leveled up as you go and also when you collect the expert chips, but is this a cumulative achievement, or do you have to "max out" the meter all in one level? I take the expert gauge almost like an experience guage (or might be just that) almost like an RPG, where you're leveling up your ship as you go, but has anyone gotten this and can you confirm what it means? I think that'd about sum up all the questions about this mode for now.
Yeah, the blue gauge on the sides. I got this one really early, I think it just has to be maxed out in a single playthrough. The higher the gauge is at the time, the faster the rate at which enemy rank and global rank increases.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

How come the top scores are all around the same amount? I didn't think there were any caps.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
antares

Post by antares »

It's a bug that will get patched in January.
WTB: Arkanoid II Revenge Of Doh PCB, Outzone PCB, Fixeight PCB
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

I've been working at this a TON, and I finally got both things I was trying to get.

For the bullet cancelling, I just started a high-rank stage and waited until I saw a giant screen full of blue bullets, so activating hyper didn't kill most of the bullets before I had a chance to cancel them, and I used ship Type A when I did it, so I didn't have a huge spread of bullets to potentially kill any pink ones that were on the screen.

EDIT: Well, after trying to get the expert gauge max in stage 5 about 100 times, I played my stage 3 which is a slightly higher rank, and I basically just milked the mid-boss with a red grid on and kept hypering his pink bullets, and I got it about 20 seconds into the fight.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
substancej

Post by substancej »

Ares, I was going to PM you about this (TakaiTakai here) but I might as well post it for the sake of discussion.

When I was going for the ぬぅおおおお achievement it would never trigger until I literally stopped trying. Either I still don't understand the mode or the achievement description is misleading. Both seem likely. Here's what happened: it popped during the first major burst of shots from the area 1 midboss. I went into hyper mode and hunkered down in a narrow gap. I am 100% certain my ship never touched or even crossed the trajectory of a blue bullet. I was utterly surrounded by blue bullets though, so many that there was no place to move more than a pixel. The frame rate by this point was virtually frozen. That's when the achievement notification popped. My score for this run was in the mid 5 millions, to give you an idea of rank.

I've pretty much given up on trying to max the expert guage. Does anyone know of a specific replay that shows it being done? (edit: just saw your edit)
Animaitor

Post by Animaitor »

So did the score system get altered after the patch or nZero's info is still valid?
xavierjesus wrote:Fcuking love sticks made from random objects. I'm off now actually to buy a plastic vagina...
-Bridget-

Post by -Bridget- »

Animaitor wrote:So did the score system get altered after the patch or nZero's info is still valid?

It does appear that the scoring system did get altered with the patch (which would explain all the scores resetting in this mode!)

Exactly what happened with it, I dont know, but my scores arent raising as easily as they were before... it seems like JUST blowing the hell outta everything isnt good enough anymore. I get the best points when I'm cancelling alot of those pink bullets into grey thingies, as opposed to before, where just blowing things up was the best.
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

I've only had Arrange B for a few days, but it seems raising the rank is pretty tricky now (even when using a green background), and from what I've read it was a lot easier to raise the rank before (especially if you ever die)... am I correct in assuming that raising and keeping the rank high is key to scoring, and if so, is there any particular trick to achieve that?
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

A good tip for not letting the rank fall (thanks, Elixir): if you see you're not doing well, exit to menu before finishing the stage. Rank values will be reset to the ones you started it with.

Also, laser+hyper mod seems to be the way to go in most cases, at least before 1000/1000 (where things get really nasty and you may want to have more speed). Hyper allows you to get through many chokepoints with its temp invincibility (trust me, you will need this when blue bullets start forming near-impenetrable walls), and lower timer also means blue bullets will be erased faster. In many cases it's a lot more useful to have it that way.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....