GD: PatriotDark

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
LtC

GD: PatriotDark

Post by LtC »

So I thought I'd spend a couple minutes writing a small guide about this great game:

Scoring system:
Aru-San wrote:Little tips for scoring:

- The more bullets, the more gains. The more gains, the more points.
- Don't die. Otherwise, your gains (with a x500 point bonus in the end of a level) will be cut in half, you will lose a life (with a x100,000 point bonus in the end) and will result in a loss of bonus points.
- If there are any extra parts (aside from the main body) to a boss, destroy them with your laser shot to earn gains.
- As with the DoDonPachi series, CHAIN. Doing so will lead to bonus points (your max combo for that level x 1,000) in the end. Using the laser shot will pause the meter, however killing too fast will result in breaking the chain.
- Memorize where the auto-gain portals are. You will know if you have hit an auto-gain portal when you see small, glowing marks spinning. Hover over them for a few seconds to activate them. Activating those not only gives you gains, but it also rewards 500K for activation.
- If your laser gauge is depleted and there are no small enemies to release crystals (to replenish the laser gauge), bomb to turn all bullets that hit the bomb into crystals. The bomb serves only for enemy destruction and crystal conversion and will not even touch any aspect of the scoring system.
-The amount of crystals you get from enemies is determined how close you are to the enemy: Shooting from point blank range will result in 5x crystals.
-The amount of score obtained from Gains is determined by the crystal meter: When the meter is high you will recieve notably more score

Unlockables:
-Extra mode is unlocked by 1cc'ing any difficulty level.
-Extra2 mode is unlocked by 1cc'ing extra difficulty.
To select Extra2 you have to press up from Easy or down from Extra. (Hidden)
-Type A2 and TypeB2 are unlocked by 1cc'ing normal difficulties with Type-A and Type-B.
Alternatively you can download an old save file of mine that unlocks both of the crafts and extra:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jkgzw1k2hzn (1.0a)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?d2jftzdiy2i (1.0b)
To select A2 or B2 you have to press left or right at select screen at Type-A or Type-B.

Portal locations:
4 Portals per stage.

Stage 1:
#1:Right in the beginning, I don't think I need to explain this one.
#2:To the right before the midboss.
#3:On top of the building after the midboss
#4:On top of another building to the left right before the end.

Stage 2:
#1:Before the highway at start.
#2:After the highway at start.
#3:A little below the first turret after the midboss.
#4:Right before the midboss on a cliff (This is a tricky one).

Stage 3:
#1:In the beginning, when the first aircraft swarm from the upper right corner the portal will appear from top.
#2:In the middle before the midboss after destroying the big machine.
#3:Later half of the stage: When the 2 crafts and the bigger helicopter apepars portal will be close to middle (A tricky one).
#4:Last big machine near end of the level, middle.

Stage 4:
#1:Middle, right above where the last patrol ship will spawn.
#2:Below the bridge right after #1
#3: By the dock to the right when you enter the city.
#4:On top of a building right before the 2 turrets.

Stage 5:
#1:On top of the last building before the stage 3 midboss craft appears.
#2&#3:Right after #1, I don't think I need to explain this one.
#4:On top of where the big tank was near the end.

Extends:
Getting extra 1UP from the stage 3 midboss:
In the second attack phase of the midboss you have to destroy ALL of the SLAVES (Marked with blue circles),note that the midboss does not have much health in this phase and you will not get the extend if the midboss moves to the third phase, the HP the midboss moves into the third phase is marked by yellow line.

Other extends are recieved at 20'000'000, 45'000'000 and 150'000'000 points (200'000'000 in earlier versions than 1.0b)

Some tips and tricks:

-Rapid fire does more damage from closer range since only certain amount of bullets can be on screen at once.

-Dealing major damage but not killing the bigger crafts that you can find in stage 1 and stage 4 will make them trigger a slow pattern that shoots a lot of slow bullets around them, canceling them with laser afterwards will result in extra point items (See #3 stage 1 portal location picture).

-Stage 4 boss's final pattern is a lot easier than it looks: the easiest strategy is tiny taps to left or right and it works in every difficulty, pay attention to the smaller bullets though.

-Stage 5 boss first phase second last attack (The only one without aimed shots) has safespots in both lower corners in all difficulties. (Only works in 1.0a)

-To face true last boss you will have to beat the third form (You will only face third form on Hard or Extra) without continues on hard or extra difficulty, you can face it in stage practice as well as long as you don't use continues.

-Killing stage 5 second and third midboss faster with a point blank bomb will kill them a lot faster and extra enemies will spawn = more score.

Full game 1.0 version:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?emdzomlonnz

Patch 1.0a:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tnmznyinnhn

Full game download 1.0b:
http://temperancelance.orz.hm/web_pd.zip
NOTE: Previous safespots for 5th boss are gone but the boss itself is a lot easier now.

Alternative edited sound/music files: (Since the original music apart from TLB music sucks)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?m2jwgj1hjmr

I hope this guide can be helpful to anyone who wants to get started with the game, feedback is appreciated.
Last edited by LtC on Fri May 01, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
lgb

Post by lgb »

The "second" portal in stage 1 is to the right before the midboss. Around when that last wide blue plane comes up.
LtC

Post by LtC »

lgb wrote:The "second" portal in stage 1 is to the right before the midboss. Around when that last wide blue plane comes up.
Updated. Thanks for the help!

Still missing one portal from stage 4.
LtC

Post by LtC »

Guide finished. Found the 3rd portal at stage 4.
Spacehog

Post by Spacehog »

Great guide, thanks!

Some questions concerning which version is the most up to date:
On the Temperance Lance webpage there is a download link on the first page (PatriotDark WEB DL) and two in the download section. Are one of these files the newest version or do I still need the 1.0a patch applied to a version downlaoded somewhere else? Doesn't this download from the Temperqance homepage mean that it is freeware?
LtC

Post by LtC »

Spacehog wrote:Great guide, thanks!

Some questions concerning which version is the most up to date:
On the Temperance Lance webpage there is a download link on the first page (PatriotDark WEB DL) and two in the download section. Are one of these files the newest version or do I still need the 1.0a patch applied to a version downlaoded somewhere else? Doesn't this download from the Temperqance homepage mean that it is freeware?
The WEB DL version is version 1.0b so it's basically one version ahead of 1.0a. I haven't really played it but compared to 1.0a it has some graphical enhancements, Extra2 Mode and the fifth boss and TLB are greatly nerfed in difficulty.

Basically:
If you download the WEB DL version you don't need to apply any patches and it's already up to date. And Yes; it's freeware.
Spacehog

Post by Spacehog »

Ah, great! :D
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

For any intel mac users, this game runs great through crossover(OSX Wine) due to the low specs :)

Thanks for the compact guide!
LtC

Post by LtC »

1.0b update to guide.

-changed 1.0b related info.
-Added some tips.
-Download link to save file to unlock everything for 1.0b (Extra, Extra2, A2 and B2 crafts)
-Download link for original 1.0 version.
-Download link to alternative edited music files since the original ones suck.

I hope I didn't miss anything
Rex705

Re: GD: PatriotDark

Post by Rex705 »

The link to download v1.0b does not work for me :( where can I get it?
rockyraccoon5

Post by rockyraccoon5 »

The arrow keys will not work for me on this game past the option menu.. is this some known glitch, or something? Shooting in place is only useful for, you know, 20 seconds or so. >_>
Square King

Post by Square King »

Rex705 wrote:The link to download v1.0b does not work for me :( where can I get it?
Can someone upload this version? Or a patch to 1.0b?
LtC

Post by LtC »

Square King wrote:
Rex705 wrote:The link to download v1.0b does not work for me :( where can I get it?
Can someone upload this version? Or a patch to 1.0b?
I don't think there ever was a separate patch for it. I uploaded the 1.0b version now. Now if I'll just get someone to confirm it works fine I'll add it to the first post:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zm0im4umikj
Square King

Post by Square King »

^ Just downloaded it and stuck it on a thumbdrive -- will let you know if it works tonight. You're either a saintly king or a kingly saint. Thank you. :D
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

it says it is v1.0b but it wont work for me it just freezs up on a blank screen :(
Square King

Post by Square King »

Works perfectly for me. Thanks again. :)

Rex705, did previous versions work for you?
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Ya the one before worked so how do I get this one to work? do I put them together or something?
Square King

Post by Square King »

Hmm...I'm not sure. You don't have to put them together. Make sure you install the new version in a different location from a previous version. What operating system are you using? I'm using Vista and every version's been fine.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

I have xp
LtC

Post by LtC »

I'm on a different computer now with XP and it seems to work just fine, I can't really imagine what's the issue with Rex705. Have you tried different compability modes?

And please note that if you download the uploaded 1.0b version it'll have replaced music files so if you want to use the orginal files you should bring them from an earlier version, same goes with the save file.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

I dono I download the file and click on the icon and i just get a blank screen
LtC

Post by LtC »

Rex705 wrote:I dono I download the file and click on the icon and i just get a blank screen
Did you at least extract the files from the .rar to a new folder?
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Ya i downloaded it and made a patriot dark folder and put the files into that and clicked on the start game icon and the game comes up but just stays on a blank screen like it is trying to load but not.
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

How do I play this on fullscreen?
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

1.0b link is down. Can someome mirror that one?
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Square King

Post by Square King »

I just tried LtC's link and it seems to be working fine.
Clessx

Post by Clessx »

tinotormed wrote:How do I play this on fullscreen?
alt - enter

sorry if posting in old topic :roll:
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

There is one more additional tip. I tried this one. Once activating the portal, carefully graze yourself near the bullets (DO NOT LET YOUR HITBOX GET CLOSE TO IT!) and some green gain cubes can appear more for you, which gives you more points!
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
bsidwell

Post by bsidwell »

I'm having a weird problem -- ingame the controls work fine but at most menu screens (except the ship select, for some reason) the cursor constantly scrolls up and to the left. I'm not about to put up with playing rhythm games just to select arcade mode, so does anybody know what (if anything) I can do about it?
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Kaiser wrote:1.0b link is down. Can someome mirror that one?
http://temperancelance.under.jp/index.html (shame theres no LUX or Ring downloads there atm though)