Super Emotia on a CRT TV scaling issue?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Thjodbjorn

Super Emotia on a CRT TV scaling issue?

Post by Thjodbjorn »

I scored a Super Emotia, and just picked up a mini Displayport to VGA adapter for my Mac, and tried playing MAME on the thing. Everything works pretty good, but there is some weird sort of scaling artifact thing that seems to be going on. I have the display set to 480x640, and turned off any visual effect or filter I can find.

Is there something I am overlooking?

I'm pretty excited with what I managed to do so far. I still need to calibrate it better, though. It's an early 00's 24" Sony Trinitron, if that might matter.

Thanks for any help!
gray117

Re: Super Emotia on a CRT TV scaling issue?

Post by gray117 »

Might depend on the emotia you're using -

I'm pretty sure there's two display options on some of them - one better suited to static images, one for moving. There is also an switch/button labelled mac too if I remember correctly.... I'm not sure why, or even if it actually relates to apple macs... will try and check these out this evening.

What's the artifact like?

If it looks like noise/rolling bands there maybe some issue with the grounding/wiring solution your using - or even simply the fit of a connection;check they're firm...

Typically I observe a kind of desaturisation when using an emotia - easily compensated with tv display tweak... probably not the issue...

The only other thing I've ever had with a 00s trinitron specifically was that the sync signal was coming through slightly too strong and so put a pot on that line... the tv I used that on would actually give different balances related to the effect of a blown out picture with different signal strengths on all rgb lines too, but it was only the sync that actually ever needed turning down... [an earlier model trinitron had no issue with the signal strengths...]

Have you tried the emotia with a pc/console and gotten the same artifacty effect?

Argh ... just thought - try your cables/adapters on other displays if possible - is there any ghosting or bluriness? The whole thing could be a not very well shielded scart or vga cable...
Thjodbjorn

Re: Super Emotia on a CRT TV scaling issue?

Post by Thjodbjorn »

It looks PERFECT when I have the game paused. It's only on the moving picture. It's hard to explain, but if you're familiar with the Ketsui 360 port, it's exactly the same sort of strange effect. Could it be from the games themselves (espra.de and dodonpachi are what I tried it with) are programmer at a slightly different resolution?

And as the Ketsui thing, it IS relatively minor. Just a little annoying.

It is one of the regular Super Emotias, and I'm using the non-interlaced mode. I think the Mac connector stuff might be from older Macs. Maybe they didn't use VGA?

I will need to try it with espgaluda or mushihime on the 360 also. I didn't notice the problem with daioujou, but did still have it with Ketsui.

The cables all seem solid, though, and it's really this weird scaling thing that isn't behaving right.

Edit: I don't have a PC to test with, and I THINK I detect the same effect on the Mac (MacBook pro) itself, but it's hard to say. I suppose I should see if it does the same thing on that with scanlines on...

Also, I have used my PS2 and Daioujou in Tate mode, and there definitely is no sort of scaling weirdness there. So it either should be the emotia or the Mac. I AM using S-video for the emotia though, if that might make a difference...