Arcade sticks

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RNGmaster

Arcade sticks

Post by RNGmaster »

I play on several different consoles (PS2, 360 and PC) and I need some suggestions for arcade sticks that are compatible with all 3 (that is, PS2 controllers and USB). X-arcade comes with connectors for all 3, but I've been told that those make better shelving units than arcade sticks.
StarCreator

Re: Arcade sticks

Post by StarCreator »

There are converters available to convert a PS2 controller for use on a 360 (Elixir has a thread on it somewhere in this forum) but at last check they still require you to have a wired 360 controller plugged in just to bypass the security check. If you're like me and find this ridiculous, I'd just get a separate stick for 360 use. It's fairly trivial to find converters that allow use of PS2 controllers on PC and PS3 without need of another controller attached at the hip.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

So it's not worth it to find one for all 3? I only have so much cash.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

StarCreator wrote:(Elixir has a thread on it somewhere in this forum)
Yeah here:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 63&start=0

Your best bet would be to get a HRAP EX-SE, which is primarily for 360, but will also work for PC. It won't work with PS2 unless you mod it, but it covers 2/3 platforms you're playing and is full Seimitsu.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

If you don't mind the awkward 360 bypass that StarCreator mentioned, a good PS2 stick is probably best for most compatibility. Problem is finding a good shell like the HRAP2, as sticks for this gen's consoles are much more prominent. Last I checked there's no converters for 360-->PS2 so if you really must play the PS2 ports, a 360 stick would be no good for that.
chempop

Post by chempop »

If you are really short on cash you might want to consider an old style mayflash stick. The stock stick is very loose, and the buttons are rubbish, but lots of people mod them with full sanwa or seimitsu. They have a dual plug for ps2 and usb, so you'd just need to get one of those ps2>360 convertors (if you have a wired 360 pad).

If you want something nicer, then yeah, a HRAP2 (ps2) might be worth trying to find, but they usually go for $100-$150 pre-mod, unless you get lucky and find one from a member. Some people don't like the clunky body, they are huge, but I prefer it because it won't jostle around. Probably a tad too big if you use it on your lap though.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc