Is it okay to store electronics in plastic bags?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SGGG2

Is it okay to store electronics in plastic bags?

Post by SGGG2 »

I think I might have pests :shock: :evil: :cry: and need to bag up all my consoles, accessories and upscalers in clear zip lock bags. What about my laptops? I'm under the impression these type of storage bags conduct static electricity. I found a guide on eBay that suggested adding two static free laundry sheets in every bag. Not sure how this would help.
SGGG2

Re: Is it okay to store electronics in plastic bags?

Post by SGGG2 »

Nevermind, found my answer :(
Dryer sheets are a pretty different concept from anti-static foam. The foam is conductive which acts a bit like a lightning rod, preventing a charge from building up that might otherwise conduct across the pins of a chip, causing damage.
On the other hand dryer sheets are not conductive. They're coated with positively ionized wax. When the laundry gets hot the wax melts and coats the clothes, neutralizing the negative charge they've picked up from rubbing together. So not only will it not work, but heat activated wax (plus other chemicals) are generally bad to mix with electronics.
Good luck!
http://grathio.com/2010/01/organizing-m ... onics.html
Ed Oscuro

Re: Is it okay to store electronics in plastic bags?

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Best bet is a file cabinet (they make plastic ones) or tubs, inside which you can put things.

I wouldn't bother, for the most part, trying to store consoles and laptops in antistatic bags. Find a tub and it'll be fine.

Don't forget to store your magnetized media vertically!