Raycrisis sucks

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Specineff wrote:Um, JP's avatar is Reala, Nights evil counterpart.
Umm, they're talking about Lone Sage's avatar, not JP's.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Whoops. Thorry.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

jp wrote:*looks at LoneSage's avatar*

DUDE!!! I LOVE THAT GAME!!! Or at least, I did when I was a kid, but I could never figure out how to play as the dude in your avatar. And I don't remember what the game was. But I remember it was cool. :)
Well, looks like I might set you on a quest for another Saturn game -- Fighter's History Dynamite, a port of the Neo-Geo sequel, lets you play as both Clown and Karnov.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

ST Dragon wrote: The only problem with RayCrisis, is that TAITO decided to remove the 2-Player option of the PS-1 version, so its not as fun as the previous 2.

That was a strange decision too, seeing as Night Raid (also from the Taito G-NET PCB) has a 2-Player mode on the PS-1.
The 2-player option being cut might be a concession since G-Net is a System 12 class board (juiced up over the original PS spec). On G-Net, RayCrisis does look slightly better.

Night Raid on G-Net looks the same pretty much as on PS. Takumi might have tried to add 2P and probably saw too much slowdown with it.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
D

Post by D »

1 rayforce
2 raystorm
3 raycrisis
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Interestingly enough, chronologically the series go:

1. RayCrisis
2. RayForce
3. RayStorm
D

Post by D »

ST Dragon wrote:Interestingly enough, chronologically the series go:

1. RayCrisis
2. RayForce
3. RayStorm
What's interesting about that?
Am I living in another dimension? Am I blind? What?
JBC

Post by JBC »

I loved Rayforce and Raystorm. Unfortunatly i never got to play Raycrisis.

Operation Galactic Attack? What's up with that. Did they send the game to the dumbass-name change department or what?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

circuitface wrote:Did they send the game to the dumbass-name change department or what?
Better-known as Acclaim. :P But at least they didn't mess with the actual game.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I'm with 'ya on Raycrisis, LoneSage. People who think Battle Garegga's rank system is incredibly tough and/or unfair ain't seen NOTHIN' until they've played Raycrisis! :?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I think Raycrisis sucks too.

I love both Rayforce and Raystorm. I've played a hell lot of Raystorm when I got it for the PS.

Now Raycrisis never got me.
al138

Post by al138 »

I think Raycrisis is an aquired taste, kinda like coffee. Granted, I like the other Ray titles better, but Raycrisis does have a level of graphic sophistication going for it that others do not. Combined with the fact that you can make it a contest for higher scores saves it in the end. I don;t its the best in the series, but I have certainly played worse!
Bought from (via Paypal):
Alien Soldier, Bleem, CMoon, russ, thewestexit
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

ST Dragon wrote:Interestingly enough, chronologically the series go:

1. RayCrisis
2. RayForce
3. RayStorm
Wait, what? I hate the Ray series, I can never remember which fucking game anyone is ever talking about. That's the chronology of the story, right, not the releases of the games, right? It's Force, Crisis, Storm in the real world, no?

And this PS1 mode -- if we are talking about Layer Section 2 here, I'm not entirely sure -- is it present in the Saturn version, or are you only offered the option to play four levels?
Some men dream of fortunes,
others dream of cookies.
Lucky Numbers 4, 15, 16, 24, 36, 46
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

alpha5099 wrote:That's the chronology of the story, right, not the releases of the games, right? It's Force, Crisis, Storm in the real world, no?
Close: in terms of release order, it's Force-Storm-Crisis. Storywise it's Crisis-Force-Storm.
And this PS1 mode -- if we are talking about Layer Section 2 here, I'm not entirely sure -- is it present in the Saturn version, or are you only offered the option to play four levels?
If the "PS1 Mode" you're talking about is the extended game on Raycrisis, then methinks the games got mixed up again; Layer Section 2 on Saturn is the same as Raystorm, not Raycrisis. Then again, maybe it's me that's confused. :mrgreen:
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Yes, Layer Section 2 (Saturn) is the same as RayStorm on the PS-1.
Where as Layer Section 1 is also known as Galactic Attack/RayForce & only for the Saturn & Arcades (TAITO F3 PCB).
RayCrisis was only released for the arcades (TAITO G-NET PCB) & an arcade perfect PS-1 conversion minus the 2P mode.
RayCrisis had the best graphics of the series, but I can't say the same for the music & Gameplay.

In the real world they were released in this order:

RayForce - RayStorm - RayCrisis

But in the game story line they go with this order:

RayCrisis - RayForce - RayStorm

I always found it interesting that even though RayForce was supposed to be 2nd in the story-line, it had they weakest ships (No Mass Destruction Bombs) unlike RayStorm & RayCrisis