RQ: Gunbird 2 questions

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
captain ahar

RQ: Gunbird 2 questions

Post by captain ahar »

Please excuse some of these questions, I have the JP version and thus cannot read any of the explanations.

How does the "Magic Pot" (thing that spits huge jewels) appear?

Outside of actual play, can i find out what my highest coin chain is?

In the manual, the bomb screenshot reads "7X Nice Bomb!." What does multiplier mean, and how do I get one?

Thanks so much for the help.
I have no sig whatsoever.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I think I know one or two of those...

To get the "magic pot" to appear, you just have to shoot certain spots...IIRC, there's one of them hidden someplace in each stage, you just have to shoot around and destroy all you can, till you figure out where he is. Once he appears, keep shooting him as long as you can (he moves around, it can be tricky to nail him and stay alive at the same time) to make him drop more jewels.

As for the "Nice Bomb!" thing, that message appears when you use a bomb just before a bullet nails you, to save yourself. As you pull it off a few times in a row the message changes to "Nice Bomb! x 2", then "Nice Bomb! x 3", and so on and so forth...I'm honestly not sure exactly what, if anything, the number represents or affects though, I don't think the US instruction booklet mentioned much about it.

I might be wrong on some (or all) of the above, but I think I remember that much...

EDIT: (P.S., did you ever get the second scan I sent you of the DOJ cover? Did it work alright?)
landshark

Post by landshark »

Rob posted this in the hi-score forum for me:

http://symphony.gamersgraveyard.com/gb2/

I can't get a few of them to consistently show up.
cigsthecat

Re: RQ: Gunbird 2 questions

Post by cigsthecat »

captain ahar wrote:Please excuse some of these questions, I have the JP version and thus cannot read any of the explanations.

You just have to have your character in a certain spot at a certain time- see Mode7's site posted above. You don't need to shoot anything. Which ones are giving you trouble Landshark?
Outside of actual play, can i find out what my highest coin chain is?
No, unfortunately.
In the manual, the bomb screenshot reads "7X Nice Bomb!." What does multiplier mean, and how do I get one?
The closer you are to a bullet/bullets when you bomb the higher the multiplier. I don't think you actually get any points for this, I wouldn't worry about it.
landshark

Post by landshark »

cigsthecat wrote:
captain ahar wrote:Please excuse some of these questions, I have the JP version and thus cannot read any of the explanations.

I've never been able to trigger the one in level 4.

The docks one is very inconsistent for me. (water boss level)

Well - all of them actually :) The one on the castle top sometimes works. The one on the lamp post "sometimes" works too :)

Do you have to be on the spot when it scrolls off the screen or something?
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

landshark wrote:
I've never been able to trigger the one in level 4.
Look at the screenshot- when the two enemies shown appear it will be triggered by the small rock shown in the center. Shoot the one on the right then move to the center to hit the rock just in time.

The docks one is very inconsistent for me. (water boss level)
The trigger here is that third lower pole. Mode7 wiggles about quite a bit- stay lined up with it and the gemhead will appear when it's near the bottom of the screen.
Well - all of them actually :) The one on the castle top sometimes works. The one on the lamp post "sometimes" works too :)
This one will be triggered just as the spot shown is at the bottom of the screen.

While you're learning these it'd be a good idea just to find the spot and stay on it until the gemhead appears. Then once you understand the timing you can begin to plan your route around it.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

thanks everyone! i was just playing and i found out the bomb multiply question on my own. i had painted myself into a corner and actually reacted quick enough to bomb (got a 4X!). unfortunately, i wasn't paying attention to my score so i still have to find out if it is impacted.

i'm still terrible but i can get to the 1-3 boss with a chain of 6 and a score of 268,???.

and i love this game! it's great when i die from being stupid and i give the screen the finger and i have the biggest grin on my face! :D I can't wait for Dragon Blaze!
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

It's always funny to see the Gemheads when you shoot them. :lol:

Cigs is right. It's important to set up a routine on your movements, then move to the spot where the Gemheads will appear.

The Japan(the last three or four, plus the 4000 point), 1-5 and 1-7* Gemheads I have yet to figure out how to collect the bounty and stay alive. *1-7 when the spinning things are shooting the 5/2/1 patterns.

In Original 1(I doubt anyone plays using this mode) it is hard to trigger Gemheads. I hardly could trigger any when I used to play on this mode.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

actually i have been playing in Orig 1. whenever i play i never seem to have the time (or will) to rotate the tv. i too have been having a rough time with the gemheads in this mode.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

I used to play in Original 1, and when I started losing everywhere since the patterns are all so meshed that there's hardly any room to maneuver, where some places are downright near-impossible, I tated and I told myself I am never going back. I don't think they rebalanced it very well.
Nicolas le jardinier

Post by Nicolas le jardinier »

landshark wrote:Rob posted this in the hi-score forum for me:

http://symphony.gamersgraveyard.com/gb2/

I can't get a few of them to consistently show up.
Hello, this website is done now, do you know another one where I can see picture of the exactly Gemhead place. I don't manage to get them with the help of the video.
Thanks
unsane

Post by unsane »

Nicolas le jardinier wrote:
this website is done now, do you know another one where I can see picture of the exactly Gemhead place.

Archive.org's last copy of the site only has the USA stage gemhead pic for some reason, and the videos are not archived. I'd love it if someone kept a local copy of the pics or avis, but i'm certainly not holding my breath. :P

professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Are pics of all gemhead locations posted anywhere on the net? They used to be, but I can't find tham atm.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

After a bit of searching I found some pics here. I took the liberty of uploading the images to my Photobucket account just in case:

No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Awesome! Thanks, Ghegs.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

What's your general thoughts on the characters? I am completely worthless when trying to use Hei Cob... It just seems like there's absolutely nothing good about him. How am I supposed to be playing him?

Also, and I say this as a complete noob, Aine seems completely broken. He's fast, strong as shit and even his bomb seems pretty good. Just out of curiosity, is there any real downside to playing as this guy?
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

DietSoap wrote:What's your general thoughts on the characters? I am completely worthless when trying to use Hei Cob... It just seems like there's absolutely nothing good about him. How am I supposed to be playing him?

Also, and I say this as a complete noob, Aine seems completely broken. He's fast, strong as shit and even his bomb seems pretty good. Just out of curiosity, is there any real downside to playing as this guy?
Hei-Cob is total shit on purpose, but his melee attack can cancel bullets in a pretty wide range. If you aim it correctly, it can cancel out some boss attacks.

And yeah, Aine is pretty good, but his bomb sucks IMHO.
BER

Post by BER »

DietSoap wrote:Also, and I say this as a complete noob, Aine seems completely broken. He's fast, strong as shit and even his bomb seems pretty good. Just out of curiosity, is there any real downside to playing as this guy?
With his straight and narrow shots and maybe sub-shots, it's more difficult to build up your charge gauge than with the other characters. You have to be right under enemies at all times with Aine, but you can get away with being off to their sides with the others.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
spacemarine17

Re:

Post by spacemarine17 »

Delete.
1cc List:
Harmful Park (Normal)
AeroCityMayor

Post by AeroCityMayor »

Thanks Ghegs and professor ganson, I thought these just turned up randomly...

...sometimes!

Doh!

I hope you don't mind that I grabbed the snaps too, Ghegs, for future use ;)

Thanks very much again.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Entity formerly known as alien_mame!