Playstation 1 shmups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dtdg

Playstation 1 shmups

Post by dtdg »

Can anyone name the Shmups that were for the PSX and released in the USA. (other than Einhander,R-Type Delta, Gradius Gaiden.)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

G-Darius, Raiden Project, Philosoma, R-Types, Thunder Force V, Shienryu (Geki-Oh), Gunbird (Mobile Light Force), Raystorm, Raycrisis, Space Shot and Sanvein are the other ones I can recall...

By the way, Gradius Gaiden never made it to the US.
chimpp

Post by chimpp »

Shooter Space Shot
Shooter Starfighter Sanvein
Gekioh: Shooting King (Shienryu)
Raystorm
Raycrisis
Thunder Force V
Omega Boost (more like Panzer Dragoon that's not on rails)
Jupiter Strike (like Panzer Dragoon, known as Zeitgeist in Japan)
Strikers 1945 (Which is actually Strikers 1945 part II)
Mobile Light Force (which is actually Gunbird, I think)
Metal Slug X
Philosoma
Sol-Divide
Raiden Project
G-Darius
R-Types (R-Type I and II)
<am I missing anything else?>

I don't think Gradius Gaiden was ever released in the states. I'd highly recommend G-Darius, Raiden Project, Metal Slug X, Raystorm, Gekioh: Shooting King, and R-Types (if you are a fan of either of part 1 or 2). Gekioh was released as a bargain-bin game for about $10 and is much better than its sequel and plays just like Raiden. Shooter Space Shot is also another bargain-bin game that takes some getting used to but can be pretty fun every once in a while.

Einhander and R-Type Delta are undoubtedly must-have shmups. Gradius Gaiden is the best in the series, but Gradius V is almost just as enjoyable.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Xevious 3D/G+
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

chimpp wrote: <am I missing anything else?>
R-Type Delta
In The Hunt

Also, Gradius Gaiden is indeed a Japan-only release.
Galderic

Post by Galderic »

Soukyugerentai (Terra Diver) (?), Gaia Seed (?)
chimpp

Post by chimpp »

Were these two released in Europe? Over here in the US, we're not so fortunate to have either of them available. I've never heard of Gaia Seed before--is it any good? From the looks of the back of its jewel case from www.playstation.jp, it looks like an interesting horizontal shmup.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

chimpp wrote:
Were these two released in Europe?
Nope, they're both JP-exclusives. I made a short, craptastic quality vid of Gaia Seed's first stage, it's being torrented over at Icarus' site (link). There's also a review with plenty of screenshots over at Twin Dreams.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
chimpp

Post by chimpp »

The graphics on Gaia Seed are not worthy of even the PSX, but it's got a good sense of style and the game sound very interesting. A search on eBay yields a single copy currently going for $149--is it really worth that much?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

chimpp wrote:The graphics on Gaia Seed are not worthy of even the PSX, but it's got a good sense of style and the game sound very interesting. A search on eBay yields a single copy currently going for $149--is it really worth that much?
No. Maybe a third of that, but you won't find one at that price. I've played the game exactly three times - once to 1CC normal difficulty, second to 1CC hard difficulty, and third to capture that video.

I actually like the graphics. Of course they don't push the system to its limits, but they don't have to. If you look at graphics (and parts of gameplay) only, Gaia Seed is the ultimate 16-bit shmup where the sprites are side-by-side with 32-bit effects.

Once again I'll repeat my catch-phrase concerning Gaia Seed: Up the difficulty, lose the shield, shrink the hitbox and bam! The end result would've been one of the best horzies out there. As it is, it remains a curiosity, a collector's game, a small paragraph in the Great Book of Shmups. All this thanks to the very limited (and expensive) availability and the fact that the game has some design flaws that cripple its potential.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

Viewpoint was released in the US.
al138

Post by al138 »

Just to second a previous recommendation, I REALLY like G Darius. I picked it up on EBay about a week ago for around $13 and its worth every penny--and perhaps a bit more. The varied boss battles are quite good, but be prepared to die...often.

It actually pulled me away from Gradius V. It's not a better game, mind you, but it is different. A good choice!
Bought from (via Paypal):
Alien Soldier, Bleem, CMoon, russ, thewestexit
chimpp

Post by chimpp »

G-Darius is an excellent game. A couple weeks ago, I played through all levels in G-Darius taking the top route at each level and mid-level split and then took all but two in the bottom route in one sitting. I only stopped because my girlfriend wanted to go out and do stuff with me.
antime

Post by antime »

The games in Capcom Generations

Was the rather craptastic Psygnosis shmup Retro Force released in the US? Or any of the Parodius games?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

antime wrote:The games in Capcom Generations

Was the rather craptastic Psygnosis shmup Retro Force released in the US? Or any of the Parodius games?
No Parodius games in the US... and Retro Force isn't ringing any bells in terms of a US release.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

if anyone cares i have a disc only In the Hunt available.
I have no sig whatsoever.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

*Psst! cap'n! Word is afoot that the men are plannin' a mutiny if ye don't list all this stuff on yer "Fer Sale" topic! ;)
FRO

Post by FRO »

I'll throw in another vote for G Darius - I've been quite addicted to it lately.
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

R-Type Delta - (must own)
Einhander - (must own)
In the Hunt
Soukeugerentai - Saturn version is better
Tempest X
Asteroids - (warning: this game destroys home theater subwoofers when turned up loud, I think I've gone through 2 so far)

Asteroids (new) and Tempest X don't get enough pub, they are great shmups.
Fight Like A Robot!
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

Einhander.
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

G-Darius is pretty damn tight. Those boss battles are sweet with the huge beams going to and fro. The only Darius game I've ever so much as tolerated. I might even be so bold as to say it just might be the best shooter on the PSX (then again, I might not be that bold :P)
D

Post by D »

What? Another pop quiz?

I'm getting the feeling some of us here are (retired?) teachers.
What with all the pop quizes and all.

OK here's another one: which shmups were released both on the SNES and on the Genesis.
Afterbirth

Post by Afterbirth »

Theres a few more gems for the Ps1

Both the Capcom and Namco collections feature early stuff like 1942, 1943,

One massively overlooked game on Ps1 is IS : Internal Section, although its an on rails 3D tunnel styled game - buts is a graphical forerunner to Res (I don't think it shared the same programmers) and is even now a great game with some nice music.