RQ: ESPgaludaII Stage 1 first point based extend.

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Jinki

RQ: ESPgaludaII Stage 1 first point based extend.

Post by Jinki »

Hello, I'm having some issues grabbing the first point based extend from stage 1 in Arcade mode. I've been practicing this stage for the past three days, at least 4 hours a day and have made progress but I'm stuck at 13.7 million on average. I also have a pretty firm grasp on how the scoring works, I just think I'm doin' something wrong in my killing order.

This may be obvious but I'm tryin' to get this in the section just before the mid boss flies in. I tap the first two red ships to get them to spew and from there I wait for them to put out a good many bullets and then finish them off. Durin' the shots to finish them off I attempt to bust the guns on the red ships behind them, it usually works, but before I finish them off I go kill a tank from the upper left corner so I can move back right (not necessary but makes it easier) and finish taking the two red ships I just tapped out. After that I usually have my multiplier maxed and I lazer down -everything- still up, including the last red ship that is positioned in the middle of the others but on the back row.

My problem is I'm not sure what to focus my attention on. I know what the job looks like, but something is keeping me from doin' it properly. I just go into the section all "gung-ho" style wishing for luck to be on my side until a spark clicks in my head and I understand what I'm actually doing. Other than gettin' the red ships to spew for the multiplier I have no clue what the proper mental state is to achieve this.

Any help would be much appreciated.
TLB

Re: RQ: ESPgaludaII Stage 1 first point based extend.

Post by TLB »

Don't laser the shit out of everything, you have to have about a second interval between kills or you don't get shit's worth of points. Try watching a replay again. Also, how much gold do you come into that part with? I suppose knowing how many gems you come in with would be good to know too.

If you're having trouble playing STG, try getting enough sleep, going for a run...OUTSIDE (yes, I know, I'm afraid of it too...that big yellow light...in the big blue room...), and eating right.

Other than that, practice and replay analysis are of paramount importance. Especially analysis of your own replays. It's more important than you probably think. Try recording a couple runs of yourself and watch them.

MUCH LUCK.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Jinki wrote:Hello, I'm having some issues grabbing the first point based extend from stage 1 in Arcade mode. I've been practicing this stage for the past three days, at least 4 hours a day and have made progress but I'm stuck at 13.7 million on average. I also have a pretty firm grasp on how the scoring works, I just think I'm doin' something wrong in my killing order.
Who are you using? Assuming you're going for the early zetsu method vs the early over-drive method...
Jinki wrote:This may be obvious but I'm tryin' to get this in the section just before the mid boss flies in. I tap the first two red ships to get them to spew and from there I wait for them to put out a good many bullets...

Looking good so far.
Jinki wrote:...and then finish them off.
Assuming you haven't gone into kakusei yet in the stage (so you have saved up your gems), here's what you need to try:
With both of the red ships damaged and spewing their radial patterns, press and hold down the kakusei button. Since you don't have any gold yet, you'll just go into regular kakusei. Destroy one of the red ships and this will turn all of its bullets into gold. Keep the kakusei button held down. As the gold spills into you, you'll trigger zetsushikai. Now destroy the remaining red ship and work on damaging the others that come in as well as all the ground targets. You should nail the first extend before the mid boss appears.
Jinki

Post by Jinki »

m3tall1ca wrote:Don't laser the shit out of everything, you have to have about a second interval between kills or you don't get shit's worth of points. Try watching a replay again. Also, how much gold do you come into that part with? I suppose knowing how many gems you come in with would be good to know too.
My gold and gems are fine. On average I go into that section with around 290 gems and 270 gold. I've actually gotten the extend on a botched run where I went into it with 220 gems and 270ish gold, don't ask me how I pulled that off. As for the laser, some amount of it is necessary to clean-up before the mid boss comes in (I literally do this just before he starts his entrance). Before then everything is a shot and precise, down to counting my taps.
Other than that, practice and replay analysis are of paramount importance. Especially analysis of your own replays. It's more important than you probably think. Try recording a couple runs of yourself and watch them.
Yeah, I've been doin' this and it has helped a lot but even with that I'm stuck. I'm sure it'll all come in good time though.
MUCH LUCK.
Thanks, and thanks for the input.

Kiken wrote:Who are you using? Assuming you're going for the early zetsu method vs the early over-drive method...
I'm using Ageha.
Assuming you haven't gone into kakusei yet in the stage (so you have saved up your gems), here's what you need to try:
With both of the red ships damaged and spewing their radial patterns, press and hold down the kakusei button. Since you don't have any gold yet, you'll just go into regular kakusei. Destroy one of the red ships and this will turn all of its bullets into gold. Keep the kakusei button held down. As the gold spills into you, you'll trigger zetsushikai. Now destroy the remaining red ship and work on damaging the others that come in as well as all the ground targets. You should nail the first extend before the mid boss appears.
Yeah, that's the plan. However, since my gem count is well over enough I go ahead and get my gold from the first red ship in the stage (it flies in with the cannon drop). So it seems you only have to make four of the five ships spew, that might be it. I've been frantically tryin' to get them all to spew, which works too but it leaves me scrambling to pick up the ground targets and flyin' popcorn for points (I often miss the fliers).

Thanks, this might actually be what I needed.
Jinki

Post by Jinki »

So as to not use up anyone else time I'd like to say I solved my problem.

Apparently I was not killing the first red ship of the bunch quick enough to get the pattern you need to raise the multiplier up in the short amount of time given. It appears that once they pass a certain point on the screen the patterns they produce after their guns are busted vary. I was just being slow on the draw which in turn forces you to use the back ship's bullets as well and by then it is too late.
Nick420

Post by Nick420 »

By the way if you use your guard barrier to destroy the midboss instantly at point blank range. You will now have another section with the red ships directly after the midboss. Repeat the same pocedure and you should be able 2 easily get the extend. If not 2!
xris

Post by xris »

^that, it helps allot.
If you are having a hard time trying to do all the fancy shit, try and keep it a little more simple (it's amazing how many differnt ways this game can be played!) just try to keep that multiplier up through the whole level, cancleing when needed to string it along, this can really help with scoring. I think you're playing Arcade though, I guess I'm mostly refering to BL, which is the shit. Now good luck trying to sqeeze in that second extend in the first level, that's a bitch.
scrage

Post by scrage »

I've seen two superplays of this, and one of them has the guy starting the level with about 215 gems. He then goes on to get about 50 to 60+ mil after defeating the first boss.

Is this some kind of cheat to start with more gems or am I missing something?
msm

Post by msm »

scrage wrote:I've seen two superplays of this, and one of them has the guy starting the level with about 215 gems. He then goes on to get about 50 to 60+ mil after defeating the first boss.

Is this some kind of cheat to start with more gems or am I missing something?
watch the tutorial at the start, see what happens. i think that's how you get extra gems.
scrage

Post by scrage »

msm wrote:watch the tutorial at the start, see what happens. i think that's how you get extra gems.
I tried that to no avail!
I'm busting my balls to try and get the 2 point based extends on the first level. I'm only getting between 18 and 20 mil by the end of level 1...
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

If you're playing the Xbox port, the Tutorial bug only occurs in Arcade mode, not x360 Mode. It *can* be done in x360 mode too, though, and you might want to watch the #1 in-game replay at a slower speed too.
apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

Jinki wrote:I tap the first two red ships to get them to spew and from there I wait for them to put out a good many bullets and then finish them off. Durin' the shots to finish them off I attempt to bust the guns on the red ships behind them, it usually works,

Any help would be much appreciated.
I play Asagi and use the other method. (Flip into kakusei to drain your gems and then go into kakusei-over) (i think thats the right term)

However, if I shoot the red ships behind in the process of shooting the two front ones that are spewing, I won't have enough green gems for the red ships after the mid-boss to score the extend there. It's possible this could be your problem. Same goes for the tank. Avoid killing it in kakusei/over and just avoid the bullets.
Jinki

Post by Jinki »

apple arcade wrote:I play Asagi and use the other method. (Flip into kakusei to drain your gems and then go into kakusei-over) (i think thats the right term)

However, if I shoot the red ships behind in the process of shooting the two front ones that are spewing, I won't have enough green gems for the red ships after the mid-boss to score the extend there. It's possible this could be your problem. Same goes for the tank. Avoid killing it in kakusei/over and just avoid the bullets.
At this point I can't even remember what the problem was, I wasn't killin' the tank in slow-mo mode though, I used it to grab gems since I don't use the tutorial glitch. Thanks for the input, but I got this all figured out a few days after I posted this, in August.