Thunder Force Gold 1 and 2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
chimpp

Thunder Force Gold 1 and 2

Post by chimpp »

Just wondering...are there any extras on either of these discs? I'm considering buying them.
Neon

Post by Neon »

It's worth getting for Thunderforce IV without slowdown...making it much better than the genesis version IMO.

You can probably put the discs in your CD player too to get the music, since it's a Saturn game.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

You can play as the TF3 in the Gold Pack version of TF4. I think you have to 1CC the game first, though.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
zinger

Post by zinger »

Neon wrote:You can probably put the discs in your CD player too to get the music, since it's a Saturn game.
Isn't the audio in its original format, using the saturn FM synth (or perhaps some emulation of YM2612)? In that case, your regular cd player would not be able to play it ;)
llabnip

Re: Thunder Force Gold 1 and 2

Post by llabnip »

chimpp wrote:Just wondering...are there any extras on either of these discs? I'm considering buying them.
Extras over the MD versions? Yes. First off, you get TF-AC which was not released before (ok... it was released as Thunder Spirits on the SNES but it was horrid.. I'm not counting it!). TF4 has much of the slowdown that plagued the MD version. You can play as the TF3 ship in TF4 (I forget the conditions for granting this). And you can save high-scores! (which is huge, IMO). Both packs are well worth it even if you own the Genesis/MD originals.
llabnip - DaveB
Once more the light shines brightly in sector 2814.
Neon

Re: Thunder Force Gold 1 and 2

Post by Neon »

llabnip wrote:
chimpp wrote:Just wondering...are there any extras on either of these discs? I'm considering buying them.
TF4 has much of the slowdown that plagued the MD version..
I hadn't noticed...the thing that bothered me about the slowdown in the MD version was that in some cases like the air raid level the music slowed down in certain cases, especially when you were firing...which was very irritating. So I still view the Saturn version as having 'less' slowdown.
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

Oh and one thing to note was that Gold Pack 1 sadly does not save high scores. But Gold Pack 2 does save them.
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

zinger wrote:
Neon wrote:You can probably put the discs in your CD player too to get the music, since it's a Saturn game.
Isn't the audio in its original format, using the saturn FM synth (or perhaps some emulation of YM2612)? In that case, your regular cd player would not be able to play it ;)
I've played a bunch of Saturn games in my CD player, but it ain't much..only thing I can bare for awhile is the KOF 96 soundtrack.
zinger

Post by zinger »

LoneSage wrote: I've played a bunch of Saturn games in my CD player, but it ain't much..only thing I can bare for awhile is the KOF 96 soundtrack.
Sure, some saturn games do have redbook audio.