RQ: Gradius III - Final Stage

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Raistlin X

RQ: Gradius III - Final Stage

Post by Raistlin X »

I'm playing on the PS2 Gradius III/IV version.

I have made it all the way to the final part of the final stage with ample use of the Konami Code and stage select. I know this is cheating in the eyes of many gamers, but this game is probably the hardest I've ever played, and I by now I just want to finish the thing.

So the part is right after the final boss, and it's the classic Gradius escape from the exploding base section. The screen speeds up, and you have to dodge through the zig-zagging pathway at breakneck speeds without hitting the wall. If you die on this part the game takes you all the way back to before the final boss, and it takes about 15 minutes before you can get back to this part again.

My problem is I don't know how many speedups I need to get through the section but not so fast that I fly into the walls. If you have less than three speedups it seems you can't move fast enough to clear the pathway before you scroll off the screen, but with three or more you go so fast that you fly into the wall at the slightest push of the joystick.

Are there any tips to beating this portion of the game?
EIHoppe

Post by EIHoppe »

If it's your first time or two through the high speed section, I suggest making your shield Reduce for the final part. It helps you navigate through, and it can also assist in the first part with the regenerating walls.

As for the speedups, I usually go with 2. If you know how to get through the section, 2 is enough to not crash into anything. Just make sure that you learn the path, and you stay to the front of the screen so that in a few sections where you have to move in a zigzag mostly downward that you don't get scrolled into a wall.

Fortunately, the section is quite short. Good luck!

~EI

EDIT: P.S.: My first time through Gradius III I used the Konami Code like crazy, too. Don't feel bad. Once you know how the game goes it gets much easier.
Raistlin X

Post by Raistlin X »

Thank you for the help. I keep dying at the part where I have to go up and then down again in a zig-zag formation. I don't have the skills to do that amount of small quick darts that quickly (down, right, down, right, etc.) and not go into the wall.

I'll keep trying though. Thanks a lot for your help.