STGT 2010 - because it's time to start bitching again

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dex

STGT 2010 - because it's time to start bitching again

Post by dex »

So, usual STGT time is approaching soon, and I figured I would gladly run the whole show, since I have many tools left over from previous years.
This thread is mostly for quick talk, a few questions from me to people who will actually be playing (they're at the end of the post), and generally to get the discussion going.

Schedule etc.
This starts (again) a bit late this year, so we should get to the registration fast. I propose starting the registration Monday, and start either on 16th August or 23rd August - the second option would leave three weeks for registration, but it would delay the start a bit. Still, since I think 2 weeks is a little too short for registration, I figure 23rd is more likely.

As for the playing weeks, I figure the format from last year is good, except for minor changes:
1) there will not be a double week game at the end.
2) there will be a week-long break between game 2 and 3.

Scoring
Same as last year.

Voting
Nope. The lack of voting worked alright last year, and it will save us a lot of time and sanity this year, so there won't be any voting.
(Unless there's a huge uproar for the return of voting, which I doubt there will be)

Game choice
First off, I do not have my game choice set in stone just yet, though I already do have ideas for all the 5 weeks. This time, however, unlike last year, I will not release any theme names. The reason for that is a few people complained about the predictability of the choices last year. Unless, again, you people want me to. If I will release the names, they will be more enigmatic, so guessing what game has been picked will be harder.

Since my game choice is not sure just yet, you might try giving me some suggestions in this thread, maybe you'll give me an idea better than what I have so far.

Additional work
Registration and updating the scoreboard is on me.

As far as posting results, I can do that too, however, Davey used to do that last STGT and earlier too, and having another person make sure everything is in order on the scoreboard would be lovely, so if you're reading this and are willing to help, Davey, send me a PM or something. :)

Banners, anyone? Zebra Airforce again would be perfect. :D

Questions
So, some questions from me, if you answered them in this thread, that would be golden:
1) Thinking about reusing a game from one of the earlier STGTs. Would this be acceptable?
2) Should the tourney start on 16th or 23rd August?
3) Do you want the week names to be released after my game choice is a sure deal?
4) Do you agree with the 1 week of break in the middle? If not, should there be more breaks, or none at all?

If I forgot something important, or you have suggestions, just bring it up in the thread.
TLB

Re: STGT 2010 - because it's time to start bitching again

Post by TLB »

1) Sure
x)
3) Sure
4) Yes

Hi ^_^
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

dex wrote:1) Thinking about reusing a game from one of the earlier STGTs. Would this be acceptable?
3) Do you want the week names to be released after my game choice is a sure deal?
4) Do you agree with the 1 week of break in the middle? If not, should there be more breaks, or none at all?
1) Only if it is a really good game!
2) 23rd would be better because I will be out of town until at least 25th.
3) I don't care, but I gravitate towards "yes".
4) I think there should be more breaks, it's just that the breaks themselves don't have to take a week (hell, two days is more than enough). I think I suggested this the previous time around.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
lgb

Post by lgb »

dex wrote:Since my game choice is not sure just yet, you might try giving me some suggestions in this thread, maybe you'll give me an idea better than what I have so far.
made a dumb list some time ago, for six weeks:

-Xexex
-Dangun Feveron (the game itself)
-Mars Matrix
-Vasara 2
-Slap Fight
1) Thinking about reusing a game from one of the earlier STGTs. Would this be acceptable?
1) I'd rather you not, but if you do, pick a game that we really didn't play
2) 16th
3) no, please
4) I'd like to know what the break is actually for because where it is just seems random
Kyper

Post by Kyper »

1) Sure, and make it a good one!
2) Don't know what's better/don't care
3) Why not, speculating with your team is kinda fun and the word'll probably get on IRC anyway so there won't be much of a disadvantage hopefully. Also I suggest/request an Irem theme
4) I don't know which break I personally prefer. I remembered still 'slogging through' at the last week even with the single week break compared to the multiple breaks, but I think less break time won't allow people to become disinterested (as quickly). I 2nd moozooh's suggestion of smaller breaks if that will be considered an option.
1up

Post by 1up »

1. sure
2. 23rd
3. dont care
4. dont care
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

1) Sure
2) Doesn't matter
3) Doesn't matter
4) No breaks
xris

Post by xris »

aug 23rd would be good. I need to get a new cpu. More console games on stgt.
New here and would love to play! Open to being drafted, or I'm gonna start my own team.
Can't wait.
Aru-san

Post by Aru-san »

1) Yes.
2) 23rd
3) Yes.
4) Maybe a short break between games would do. Somewhere around 2 or 3 days?
[ Wonder Force IV -sorry Frenetic :c- ]
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Oh yeah, I'm more than sure we are all equipped to play all 8- and 16-bit era games. None of those are harder to find than MAME ROMs, and emulators are even less problematic. Not sure if people are ready for PS1-era games yet; I, for one, would like to play G-Darius one day.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

1) Sure
2) 16th
3) no
4) no breaks

This sort of sucks, stgt right when I'm supposed to be studying for exams :x
Sasupoika

Post by Sasupoika »

Sure.
16th.
Sure.
Sure.
ImageImage
nZero

Post by nZero »

1) sure (edit: viper phase 1)
2) I'm out for the week of the 23rd, so 16th if the 2nd week is gonna be lame and 23rd if the 1st week is gonna be lame
3) sure, as long as they're vague enough that lots of people will practice the wrong game in preparation
4) no breaks
Last edited by nZero on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: viper phase 1
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Here is the games list

Ninja Emaki
Raiden Fighters 2
Out Zone
Axelay
Major Stryker.
some Cave things for you other people to play.

Good list huh?

I might be able to participate actually...if it's much earlier I'll be missing dates for sure.
Davey

Post by Davey »

dex wrote:As far as posting results, I can do that too, however, Davey used to do that last STGT and earlier too, and having another person make sure everything is in order on the scoreboard would be lovely, so if you're reading this and are willing to help, Davey, send me a PM or something. :)
Can do, although I probably won't play this year unless some regional team wants another person that will play very little, if at all. ldstgt09 was at full capacity, so I don't see myself on ldstgt10.

Having said that,

1) Sure. Especially stuff from 3+ years ago, enough time has passed.
2) No opinion.
3) No opinion.
4) I think at least one break would be a good idea; five (well, six) consecutive weeks was a bit much. I actually liked having them every other week, but a lot of people don't like that. As with everything in STGT, every decision will be unpopular.
X 8=D---

Post by X 8=D--- »

I'm twice as hard and twice as gay!

I'm also ready to play some shmups. Heres a list of cool and some slightly obscurer choices.

HARMFULPARK
viewpoint
in the hunt
silver surfer
chimera beast <-- hell to play. ignore this one actually
g darius
sexy parodius
Soukyu-gurentai Oubushutsugeki
darius gaiden
sol divide
Last edited by X 8=D--- on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Please put Argus in this year. More people needz to play it.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Ed Oscuro wrote: Major Stryker.
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Hi, I'd love to have a freeware doujin shmup included in one of the weeks, x.x. a doujin shmup programmer has made all of his games available for free. You can get them from here: http://www004.upp.so-net.ne.jp/x_xgameroom/ I think ChorRenSha 68k is free too? Anyone else have any suggestions for freeware doujin shmups?

1) Would prefer a new game.
2) August 16th.
3) Sure.
4) No breaks.

--F
shadowbringer

Post by shadowbringer »

Frenetic wrote:Anyone else have any suggestions for freeware doujin shmups?
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31772

:lol:

seriously now, it seems that Phantasm Romance 2.5 Plus (and probably all the older revisions as well) is unbalanced in favor of one of its characters+shot-types, and I have only played Eden's Aegis out of x.x's games. Both games have more than one mode, which is another thing to be considered (and Eden's Aegis punishes you too hard for dying in the last stage -- unless if Guard is allowed, at least.. or if only Accel or Hell Mode's allowed :p)

about the survey:
1) yes.
2) no idea..
3) if they're misleading or vague enough (lol Dragon Week), then yes :D
4) yes (if this helps bring more people to this tournament)
trap15

Post by trap15 »

1) Sure
2) Don't really care
3) Sure
4) No
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Dragoforce

Post by Dragoforce »

Twinbee Yahoo!, doesn't matter, sure, sure.

Dunno if we'll be able to scrape togheter a Team Sweden this year. If we fail to organize a team I'd love to join another serious team.
Swedish shmup community - stgfan.com
Do not be afraid...
DMC

Post by DMC »

16th plz.
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

Does it matter how many people are in a team?

1)Yes
2)23rd
3)Yes
4)Yes
Last edited by Octopod on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

1) Never been in STGT before - don't care.
2) 23rd. 16th is the first week of school at a brand new school for me... it's going to be overtime hell week. =/
3) Yes.
4) Yes.
<trap15> I only pick high quality games
<trap15> I'm just pulling shit out of my ass tbh
MX7

Post by MX7 »

[quote="CaptainRansom"][/quote]

I love your avatar! Showed the film (the title of which I won't mention for obvious reasons) to a friend of mine and she was completely shell shocked.

Someone mentioned Mars Matrix: That'd be fun. It'd also be nice to see Strikers 1999, was peeved it didn't get picked either last year or the year before, I can't remember. Toaplan week would be cool, though there are inherent problems with infinite looping games. I also really enjoyed doujin week two years ago, but all the moaning threatened to ruin it.
luy

Post by luy »

[1]yes
[2]16 or 23
[3]yes
[4]yes
8)
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

dex wrote:1) Thinking about reusing a game from one of the earlier STGTs. Would this be acceptable?
1) Please, no. STGT is always a time to discover new or underplayed games. There are plenty of those left, no need to reuse ones that have been covered already.
2) 23rd.
3) No.
4) I don't care.

I'd love it if more obscure games would make the cut. Also, please try not to select ones that need a lot of time to get into, thus getting their more experienced players a huge headstart (cough, Garegga, cough).
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

1. I couldn't agree more with Herr Schatten.
2-4. No preference
MX7 wrote:there are inherent problems with infinite looping games
Not necessarily. For example, no forum member has beaten more than two loops of Gradius II or Raiden. It almost certainly wouldn't happen in a week.
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

What are the rules for setting up a team for this? Is there a link to some of the rules? I really didn't see any searching past STGT.