Mr. Driller Great (and the series in general)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
jonny5

Re: Mr. Driller Great (and the series in general)

Post by jonny5 »

i think mike haggars site has score boards....cant find a link at the moment tho.....

also, what is so hard about uploading to imageshack and just bb-coding the link in a post?
jpj

Post by jpj »

well done richie :)

brendz, check out:
http://www.misterdriller.com/phpBB3/

pretty quiet forum, but lots of great players, and they all have links to their youtube accounts - well worth a look :)
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

I've gotten a score of about 1,020,000 on the 1Km course in Mr. Driller G. AFAIR, a finishing time of 8'00 is close to 60K for time bonus on 1Km.

My MDG board has some fairly high scores on it from Japanese players. Shame I didn't get another 10000 or so, because the lowest record on my board for the 1Km is about 1,030,000. Still trying...
Kinect? KIN NOT.
1up

Post by 1up »

are the ps1 ports arcade perfect or are there noticable differences?
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

1up wrote:are the ps1 ports arcade perfect or are there noticable differences?
There is a difference in gameplay on Mr. Driller G in the PS1 version. In the 2Km mode on PS1, any blocks that go off the top of the screen will be gone. Air tanks can be lost this way as well- so you'll have to be careful to keep them on screen until you take them, or kiss Perfect Air goodbye.

In both the PS1 and arcade versions of G, you CAN lose an air tank if you go too far past it on the 1Km mode. Be careful of this especially on the 400-499m area with its large clumps of same colored blocks.
Last edited by gameoverDude on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I just broke my 1 million cherry. :P

You don't know how good it feels.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

How's the Mr Driller on the XBLA? I'm thinking of getting the Namco Collection thing on the 360 as it would be cheaper than buying Galaga, Xevious, this and others separately.
Number of 1cc's : 5
Now playing: Gunbird
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

sjewkestheloon wrote:How's the Mr Driller on the XBLA? I'm thinking of getting the Namco Collection thing on the 360 as it would be cheaper than buying Galaga, Xevious, this and others separately.
It's not bad, but the music unfortunately doesn't change as you go deeper within a stage- which is one main reason I prefer G over it. You're stuck with one BGM per course, and all the voices are GONE. :( MDG is also more challenging, and has the 15-block wide 2Km courses like the ones in Drill Land & Mr. Driller W. MDG's North Pole course is kind of the series' counterpart to TGM3 Shirase- it's damn fast compared to the Egypt 2Km course.

In MDOnline, there are also P flag items that give you bonus points. You can grab a power-up item from a treasure chest and hold onto it, since there's now a use button for when you need it.
Last edited by gameoverDude on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
iatneH

Re: Re:

Post by iatneH »

iatneH wrote:Now, can anybody tell me what the requirements are to get the Clear Stamps for all the Special level attractions in Drill Land?
Sorry for quoting myself, but anybody got these clear stamps?
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

I finally got the Driller Badge on Mr. Driller G's 2Km Egypt stage. Hell yeah! It's not quite enough to make even 10th on my PCB's ranking list, but I'm not about to reset the high scores (that'd feel like cheating ;) ). I'll keep trying.

Score: 1912380
Time: 13'18"13
Lives left: 1 (PCB setting is 3 lives/Medium Difficulty/With Extend)
Character: Taizo
Kinect? KIN NOT.
1up

Post by 1up »

ok, ive been playing mr. driller g on/off on PSOne for a couple of weeks now and have a couple of questions. Is there any difference to the different characters?

Whats a good score on 500m? I finished 500m for the first time today. Up untill now Ive been collecting every air capsule on my way to the bottom, but when I reach the 300m mark I just can wrap my brain around getting them no more, so this time I just rushed on and grabbed the random capsules that got exposed 8)

my score was:
depth: 500m/500
score: 200,520pts
time : 3'16"48

and lastly, is there anything to look out for other than not get squashed? I mean, in games like tetris you want to build your blocks in specifik ways so you can get a tetris, and have a place to put the different shaped blocks so you wont get in trouble. In mr. driller I just go as fast as possible and get out of the way of the falling debris lol :mrgreen:

edit:
I see in the first post that the dog can climb 2 vertical blocks, so there is something different for each character.

Also, forgot to mention that I absolutely love the music. Is there a mr. driller ost out there? My GF hates the sound the character makes when you pick up an air capsule lol, "turn that shit down.. its annoying".
1up

Post by 1up »

hah, after hunting for videos, I found that 200k is FAR from anything remarkable. The dude in the video got a 200k bonus at then end making 670k+ and did the 500m in 2'28"xx.

Oh well, Im just getting into this so now I know what to look for. Also, it seems that theres "nothing to it" besides digging fast, grabbing all capsules and staying away from falling blocks.

I cant stop playing this game....
Marc

Post by Marc »

Only version I own these days is the DC original, still not bored of it after all these years, still only ever managed 1000m once or twice. Used to have JPN Drill Spirits with the silver 'Cube/DVD player... that was one sweet machine.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
mikehaggar

Post by mikehaggar »

There are lots of great scores posted here! Please come join the misterdriller.com forums and post your scores on the scoreboard there! I'd love to have more participation!

Can anybody here beat my scores? If so, I'd be interested in hearing about it! :)

My newest score/video: Mr. Driller G North Pole - 2161040 PERFECT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptha7FSS-Tc

:mrgreen:
undamned

Post by undamned »

mikehaggar wrote:www.misterdriller.com
Do you run the site? I've got a grip of great Mr. Driller related stuff from old Arcadia magazines. I can donate scans to someone.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
mikehaggar

Post by mikehaggar »

Yes, I run the site. I would love any/all info you have...please email me at: djmikehaggar ATA@TAT gmail.com.

Or you can megaupload it if it's too big to send through email...

Let me know, and thank you!
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I just found out Mr Driller: Drill Till You Drop (stupid title) was released in North America a short time ago on DSiWare for 500 points. I had 1000 points already on my DSi which I had bought 2nd hand, so I figured I would give it a try.

It's been a while since I played a NA Driller game, I had forgotten how God-awful the voiceovers are. Anyway, is anybody able to make comparisons to the Japanese DSiWare version? Musics seem to be strangely edited and noticeably downsampled.
gct

Re: Re:

Post by gct »

iatneH wrote:Now, can anybody tell me what the requirements are to get the Clear Stamps for all the Special level attractions in Drill Land?
I only got the Clear Stamp for Special in Drindy Adventure. I had a run with 92 gold which did not earn the stamp, and my next run got something like 112 gold which got the stamp, so I am guessing 100 gold will do it. Drindy Adventure is the easiest for myself since there seems to be only a few different block and boulder configurations and the difficulty doesn't change much the further down you go. You can play a very slow and carefully planned game and you can collect every gold and break every boulder safely. I'll be aiming to get the Special stamp for Horror Night House next.

Not sure if you can get these stamps on a run that uses items, since I tend not to use any items at all. The game doesn't separate scores for item/non-item so I don't want to taint my score tables.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Oh damn, I'd forgotten all about this game. I played the original a lot when I rented it.. maybe I need to buy it.

No love for DrillLand? That one seemed really interesting.
Humans, think about what you have done
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

iatneH wrote:I just found out Mr Driller: Drill Till You Drop (stupid title) was released in North America a short time ago on DSiWare for 500 points. I had 1000 points already on my DSi which I had bought 2nd hand, so I figured I would give it a try.

It's been a while since I played a NA Driller game, I had forgotten how God-awful the voiceovers are. Anyway, is anybody able to make comparisons to the Japanese DSiWare version? Musics seem to be strangely edited and noticeably downsampled.
I know this is late, but I think the downsampling is due to the DSiWare's size limit since the games have to be loaded into memory, even on 3DS. Is this worth picking up? It's missing a couple features from Drill Spirits, but has a lot of stuff for a five dollar DSiWare game, including a mode missing from the US Drill Spirits. I'm also curious how the game speed is in comparison to Drill Spirits since the DSi has a faster processor.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Are the scores relative between versions?

I have Mr Driller 2 on PCB.

My highest score is 1.4 million on the 2k run. But I've never gotten any bonus's as I've only had one or two lives left, missed air (it goes off the top) etc. I've had this sucker in my cab for 2+ years now.
aerobert

Post by aerobert »

Sorry for necrobumping this thread.

I'm trying to understand the differences between Mr. Driller 2 and G for arcade. The biggest step from 1 to 2 seem to be the 2player mode but after that the changes aren't that apparent.
I figured out that G saves the highscores, contain a (now defunct) network play and some new characters and larger levels.

Trying basically to decide which arcade game to get, 2 or G. What do you think?
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

G if there isn’t a big price difference. Why do those boards go for now?
aerobert

Post by aerobert »

Cannonballs wrote:G if there isn’t a big price difference.
Could you elaborate?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I have PCB of 2.

The one thing I hate about it is that air disappears from the top of the screen if you scroll a bit too far down.
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

aerobert wrote:
Cannonballs wrote:G if there isn’t a big price difference.
Could you elaborate?
Just for what you said, the longer/bigger levels and extra characters. HS save is nice too. I’m not sure if there are more in depth differences, love all these games and wish there was a more recent one. G port to switch? Or the Japanese only GameCube release port finally? A new arcade title on EXA?
aerobert

Post by aerobert »

Putting in some time in MrD 2. Man is it an unforgiving bastard of a game. Extremely addictive, ”just one more run” and brutally difficult.

Still trying to figure out how the game scoring works. Does completion time work as a multiplier?
Still suck at the game anyway, havent been able to beat medium quite yet.
Marc

Post by Marc »

New Switch game incoming..... can't wait :D
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
aerobert

Post by aerobert »

Unfortunately not new. It's a port of the GameCube game but it's very good.

Hopefully it will sell enough so they make a new!
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Cannonballs wrote:G if there isn’t a big price difference. Why do those boards go for now?
I paid about $60 for 2, $110 for G, can't seem to get a 1.

I agree that the addictiveness of this game is good. I've been playing a bit of G, but I'll try to pop 2 back in and figure out differences. On the surface, the biggest one is the already mentioned save, but also the characters of G seem to have special abilities that make them stand out more than cosmetically. For example ,the robot can take two hits before dying.