RQ: I have always sucked at Raiden II/DX please help!

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
CecilMcW00t

RQ: I have always sucked at Raiden II/DX please help!

Post by CecilMcW00t »

I get owned majorly in this game. I seem to have trouble with shooters where all the enemies aim directly at you. I'm kind of getting the hang of oscillating and stuff but I get sniped SO freakin much in this game it ain't funny.Any general tips for a newbie? I can never get past stage 3 on one credit on any difficulty past Normal. Although I was in the zone ONCE and got to ST4 but have not been able to do it again.

Also, the weapon I usually use is Red vulcan and homing missiles. I tried toothpaste, and I used to rock with it but thats only on the easier difficulties...
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

I'm probably not the person to give pointers, but one thing you'll find is that there is no BEST weapon; also, powering all the way up will inscrease rank (which you may not want to do). The vulcan may be the all 'round best weapon, but switching to the laser for the boss may be a good idea if you can manage. I love the purple weapon, but in reality it is not very good and you should avoid it.

Also, the homing missles are only good when they are completely powered up. I strongly suggest going for the other missles instead as they are MUCH more powerful.

Essentially, sticking to the non-homing missles the whole game, alternate between vulcan and laser, and you may not want to power-up completely.

Oh, and I think Rando wrote a guide, check that out...
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

Oh ok sweet thanks! I was wondering if I should keep my weapons down cause it did seem like the bullets sped up when I did. And I'll stick to the forward firing missiles and see if that improves my game. Oh, and I think Rando's guide was mostly focused on the technical parts of the game like scoring and secrets but I'll check it out again to make sure.
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
thesuperkillerxxx

Post by thesuperkillerxxx »

The dumbfire missles are awesome point-blank power, the homing missles are crap.
The Eidolon

Post by The Eidolon »

I did an experiment on the level 2 boss of Raiden 2. With full power
red gun in either case and homing or straight firing missiles, the
homing missiles (full power) take him out more quickly. In both cases
in seemed that the closer to the boss you were quicker you could
send out the next round of missiles. At any level less than full power
the homing missiles seemed much weaker, due to the slow rate of fire
and limited damage. The trade-off might be different for ground
targets where you can sit directly over them without dying.

I always prefered to take the first four normal missile power ups and
then switch to homing at max power if I could stay alive that long.
I never had much use for the purple gun except to try and deliberately
slow down the game or in levels 6-7 where it can sweep right to left
and take out those annoying darting copters on the sides of the screen
better than the red of blug gun at low shot power.

--The Eidolon