NEW rRootage port for iPhone

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
weak

NEW rRootage port for iPhone

Post by weak »

Hi everybody!

It's been a while since my last post (like 4 years), but some of you might remember our PSP homebrew shmup Callisto...

I wanted to play rRootage on my iPhone but wasn't really satisfied with the existing port. So I've ported the game myself:
http://fraglab.at/rrootage/

Include music/sfx and online hi-scores.
I've optimized it for OpenGL ES hardware, but I'd still recommend a 3GS or better.

Available for free...

Have fun,
weak

subcons

Re: NEW rRootage port for iPhone

Post by subcons »

Just tried this out on my touch... really smooth. Definitely better than the other port that's out there. I noticed some crunchy sounds in an upper level of GigaWing mode, but I didn't get to spend much time with it. Just seeing how it ran.

Good work man!
Danza

Post by Danza »

Thanks for the effort! Much smoother!
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Does it still work on 3G iPhones [i.e, does it start, is it as fast as the old port on them, etc]?

The first port glitches slightly if you're on anything past iOS 2... ;_;
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
weak

Post by weak »

Thanks for the positive feedback! It still has some glitches too (eg. controls), but I'll look into that.
null1024 wrote:Does it still work on 3G iPhones [i.e, does it start, is it as fast as the old port on them, etc]?

The first port glitches slightly if you're on anything past iOS 2... ;_;
It should run on anything with iOS 3.0 or higher.
I've tested it with my 1st gen iPod touch and it's definitely faster than the old port, but it's not really playable in my book, especially in the later stages.

EDIT:
I've just submitted an update for approval. Apparently game progress doesn't get saved correctly. I've also added a 'Menu' button to the pause screen.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

My concern with this port is that the same action used to move (put finger on screen) is the same action used to fire. This means if you run out of finger room you need to lift your finger, and thus lose your damage value.

Also activating secondary effects (bombing, spinning, etc.) can be a bit tricky. I keep firing off relfect barrier in GW mode even with only 1 finger on the screen. Perhaps on-screen buttons (a la Espgaluda II) would help.
weak

Post by weak »

gs68 wrote:My concern with this port is that the same action used to move (put finger on screen) is the same action used to fire. This means if you run out of finger room you need to lift your finger, and thus lose your damage value.
Didn't think about that.
I could either add an option to activate auto-fire, or I could delay deactivation of fire for half a second or a second.
gs68 wrote:Also activating secondary effects (bombing, spinning, etc.) can be a bit tricky. I keep firing off relfect barrier in GW mode even with only 1 finger on the screen. Perhaps on-screen buttons (a la Espgaluda II) would help.
Triggering the special in GW mode is still buggy. I'll look into it for the next version.

One advantage of a seperate button would be the ability to play with one hand, which I like. I don't like the waste of screen space, but I could make it optional.

I also have to try bomb activation through tilt controls/shaking or something liek that. Maybe that works too.

Thanks for the feedback!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Works nicely on my iPhone 3G on iOS4.
Just one thing I'd like to note: in both Psy and GW Mode, the charging bar is at the bottom left of the screen, usually obscured by my thumb. Is it possible to move it somewhere else, like the top middle of the screen?
Good stuff, nice to have some shooting on a device that I have with me at all times.

I'd love to see parsec47 on an iDevice someday, though, as there's plenty of rRootage and Noiz2sa ports already.
JUTMAN22

Post by JUTMAN22 »

Well done!!! this is a fantastic game .... graphics and music are top notch!
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

Just stumbled upon this in the app store, and I'm loving it. Very well done =]
weak

Post by weak »

Version 1.1.0 has been released and is available here.
An ad-free version is now also available.

The new version comes with a completely redesigned menu system and OpenFeint support, including leaderboards and achievements.
I hope you'll enjoy the new version ;)

Nemphtis

Post by Nemphtis »

I was playing this at work today, works pretty well on my iPhone. Thanks for getting it up and keeping it shiny. :)
chempop

Post by chempop »

Nice work bringing this to iTunes, runs so smooth, I'm really enjoying this port.
About 3/4 of the way through original mode and it's just rediculous... I think it might be giving me brain damage (in a goodway, naturally)!
I have a blister on my finger now... Oh well, I have 9 more that are on reserve.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Danza

Post by Danza »

I've been bedridden for a few days and playing this a lot. This is a fantastic
port. Looks and sounds great and gets insane towards the end!

Really recommended!
seiatsu

Post by seiatsu »

Funny this thread surfaced again. I've been thinking over the last few days of how to somehow get this on android. I've even considered trying to teach myself how to port this myself (unfortunately i have no knowledge about that).

Ever thought of making an android port?

(I'm also hoping for an android port of that other iphone stg I've seen around the forums. it looks quite nice. however, the cave games I'd rather play on console, pcb, etc)
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Grabbed it, gah!
On an iPhone 3G, control breaks completely when it slows down, it starts to completely ignore movement input every couple frames, resulting in choppy player motion [the bullets are moving somewhat smoothly, but the player is stuttering through badly]. Makes all but the first 2 levels rather unplayable.

On the other hand, when it's smooth, it's flawless.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.