RQ: Batrider Special course

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Bananamatic

RQ: Batrider Special course

Post by Bananamatic »

Trying to 1cc this one, most I managed was getting to Glow Squid.

How high is the rank? Checked some replays of Advanced to compare them and it seems much higher compared to rank controlled Advanced.

Anyways...I'd like to 1cc with a Garegga ship(boss BGM, Black Heart, potentially skipping Envy, score from BH and more popcorn for extends...speaking of that, what actually counts as popcorn? BH's ships don't, while the suicide ships he spawns apparently do...what about the cannons before Discharge and the rocks before Discharge's second form?)

So far I was trying with Grasshopper B and C, but the Batrider ships seem stronger in the replays. Is it just me or are the Garegga ships somewhat weaker? Mostly noticed from Discharge's first form being nearly trivialized and the cannons before him not completely overwhelming the player.

Except from rather common but stupid mistakes...
How exactly do I predict Black Heart's sweeping attack? It seems like later on it goes right, then left, then left again 2 times...get better reflexes I guess? Or does it somehow depend on the position(like BH being too far to the edge of the screen so it would be a forced bomb)?

Glow Squid's 2nd form. This seems completely random, sometimes I beat it without bombing, sometimes I die 3 times from his suicide ships.

And the cannons before Discharge. So far I've seen the player beating them in time or pointblanking them with homing lasers. No matter how I try, I can't shoot down enough of them before the screen gets completely filled.

And Discharge final form itself...is this basically down to luck or bombing atleast one of the side pods?
DEL

Re: RQ: Batrider Special course

Post by DEL »

Hi,

Glow Squids second form is indeed nasty. I haven't found a safe spot from the suicide ships either. You'll have to save a bomb for it.

The cannons before Discharge can be point blanked with ships like Miyamoto and Strawman. Other ships without side pods do indeed fail to shoot the cannons down in time.

The easiest ALL is a 9-ALL with Strawman.

The hardest and highest scoring is an 18-ALL with a team from each of the 3 major types. eg. Flying Baron, Miyamoto, Strawman.

My advice on ship selection is for semi-fast ships, to get you out of trouble.
Choose weaker ships if you're going for score. Miyamoto is very good for score.

Discharge's final form generally needs 1 full bomb when those side pods stop rotating round him. Then just stay on one side of Discharge (the side whose pod you have destroyed), watching out for the rockets coming at you from the other pod. Each one is worth 10,000 I think.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

So basically, the Garegga ships all suck? Compared to the Batrider ones which effortlessly destroy everything destructible on the screen, the Garegga planes have a tendency to get screwed over by the destructible bullets at times.

If I'm going for the clear and not so much for score...which ship should I choose then? Go for speed or lower speed/power up shot/option?
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Strawman-A (-B if you're a pervert like me). Shorty-B or -C also works.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
DEL

Post by DEL »

Flying Baron A or C doesn't suck. Its not bad, and as far as I have experimented the best of the Garegga ships.

moozooh's Strawman suggestion is the easiest.