RQ: Dimahoo - survival advice

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Bananamatic

RQ: Dimahoo - survival advice

Post by Bananamatic »

Hopefully I'm posting this correctly.
I don't exactly like the scoring, but I'd love to get a 1cc of this someday.

Anyways...some enemies always give me a lot of trouble.

Dratrion - Is it just me or is this guy way too brutal for a st2 boss?
The attacks turn into an awful mess later on and even though I managed to perfect him several times through savestating, I almost always die, sometimes even twice. Are there some parts I should(not) destroy to make him easier?

Pretty much every round enemy - I sometimes randomly die to the elemental heads(yeah, I know you can avoid them by not shooting in st5), and the round enemies which shoot 2 yellow projectiles away from you - is it better to stream them around or stand still?

The row of stationary ships in st5 - No matter what I do, they all start shooting at some point and it gets undodgeable. I guess that there is some trick for this part?

Gigafacer...first phase second part. I get pretty much walled and the only way to avoid bombing is to make a risky dash through the yellow stream. Either this is supposed to happen or there is a pattern to follow around...I looked for replays but most players bomb him all the time.

Second phase - after the first time warp, he throws the second bullet wall too close to the first one, so it's either a bomb or I luck out.

Third phase - the second fan wave. Is it just a hard reflex attack, or is there a trick like to Batrider's Tsumujimaru? Best I've managed against him in practice was 1 miss because 3 bombs aren't enough to take out the final phase.

Using Chitta if that somehow makes strategies easier.
Enhasa

Re: RQ: Dimahoo - survival advice

Post by Enhasa »

Hey man, nice first post.

I dunno that much about this game sadly (the scoring system is way too manly for me, I can't even remember what to buy when I'm grocery shopping for just myself let alone an entire fucking kingdom), but I'm paging Kaiser cuz I know he was going for the 1cc too.

What a cocktease, thought this post might contain some actual info or something, lol. I might take a look at it later anyway if I have the time, no promises though.
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Well, the only thing I found out myself was that Gigafacer's final slowly advances to the left or to the right, meaning you can tap through it - unfortunately there seems to be no indication of which happens next.

Yeah, from what I've heard, the bosses are basically a bunch of attacks on random timers.
Especially once the bosses hit critical - the spider boss has no problems using the web attack along with others.

How high ranked is this game in 1cc difficulty anyways?
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

How high ranked is this game in 1cc difficulty anyways?
Very high.

I can't really help you since I never practiced past stage 4, but I can tell you that Dratrion becomes much easier after you destroy all his parts...less guns to worry about. After the core is revealed, you just need to watch out for the machinegun-like attack. Once you know when it's coming, he's not much a problem.

You also should know this by now, but Birthday has insanely powerful bombs and can take out bosses fast. You can skip the final form of Gigafacer entirely with a single bomb.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Which part of Dratrion is the core?

From what I've figured out further:

1) Destroy the wing cannons
2) Focus on the sides until they reveal the dragon heads
3) Kill the main body

Seems like the main problem are the sides which can both use spread and aimed along with the main body.
Beating them down to the dragon heads leaves them only with the breath and the rest of the fight is just simple dodging left/right at the very bottom.

Still not certain about some boss elements though - is Dribling(st3) ice or fire? He is blue colored, but I don't really remember any noticeable stuff...same for the arena Dribling, he is red but seems to be non elemental as well.
Made me realize that he would be much harder if I'd leave the drills there, as for Dratrion it wasn't all that obvious.

Most of my runs crash at st4, so that's what I should mainly practice. I remember st5 not being all that hard except for 2 spots...st3 is much easier than st2(even though my attempts at milking the post-Dragonfly area usually end up in getting so many items that I crash into something I didn't see) and st6 is basically several tricky spots and the dreaded arena.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Dribling isn't blue, he has a metallic color. He's non-elemental so any attack works on him; I assume it's the same for the arena one. Milking him is too tough for me yet so I just bomb his face once at pointblank range and he dies (I use Grimlen).

Also keep in mind, the more sets you complete, the harder the game gets. After completing food and shoe sets, and picking the ruby and fairy from busturtle, the enemies at stage 2 were firing faster and some patterns had more bullets. For a 1cc you should avoid set items as much as possible.

That's all the advice I can offer. From Dribling and onwards I stop playing for score and it's just survival from there. I can do relatively fine but my ship is too slow for Infernon.
mastermx wrote:
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Reached the dreaded stationary ships(and got pretty much telefragged)

So far, my biggest problem are random misses.

One on Dratrion as usual, another somewhere on st3 I can't remember, one on st4(seriously, I hate these two-way shooting elemental balls), then no miss all the way to st5 2/3 through.

I don't see why shouldn't I be able to do this - it's just that the stages are pretty much equal in difficulty compared to DDP for example.
Fan of MAME

Post by Fan of MAME »

Ruldra wrote:Also keep in mind, the more sets you complete, the harder the game gets. After completing food and shoe sets, and picking the ruby and fairy from busturtle, the enemies at stage 2 were firing faster and some patterns had more bullets. For a 1cc you should avoid set items as much as possible.
I haven't figuret that by myself. Thanks, man!
Gremlin is very good for survival, because he's powerful and can dodge the bullets quite well. With him is also very diffucult for the player to obtain items (so it is diffucult for the player to complete many sets).
I personally do not have an 1cc-dream about Dimahoo. And I like the intro very much.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

For some reason, I find anyone under Karte speed awfully slow while Miyamoto is uncontrollably fast.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Fan of MAME wrote:Gremlin is very good for survival, because he's powerful and can dodge the bullets quite well. With him is also very diffucult for the player to obtain items (so it is diffucult for the player to complete many sets).
Actually he's the easiest to complete sets with. His scythe is very strong and goes in a straight line, so it's perfect to kill exactly what you want and get the item you need. I managed to complete 8 sets with him once.
mastermx wrote:
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Chitta seems somehow...lacking. Especially because her charge takes too long and completing sets takes too much manual timing.

Tried Miyamoto - no miss first 3 stages, game over on st4. Too fast for the amount of bullets in the later stages.

Tried Solo-Bang - got to the red bomber in st5. Stupid misses overall, one on st3 which was a stupid tackle, one on the st4 boss, another on the dreaded ships(I swear, this part is impossible), and the final one on the red bomber. Looks like I am sticking with him, his charge gives sets rather easily, it's short and strong(pre-charging it against Dratrion made the fight much easier) and while he seems a bit too slow, it's easier to play the later stages.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Try Grimlen, he's not as bad as you might think from his stats. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Played a random credit today after months and reached stage 6. Stage 5 was a bombfest though.
mastermx wrote:
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

St5 appears cursed for me - always lost the final life right before the end.
Though I've never managed to get the second extend - best I managed was 4,2m or so, but ever since I switched to Solo Bang, stages 1-3 are almost always no miss, then I screw up on st4.

Pretty consistent at 1 missing Gigafacer now...but Dribling-R is being slightly problematic...off to make a savestate I guess.
esreveR

Post by esreveR »

I don't know about you, but I did best with Miyamoto. Maybe it's because I use a keyboard or something, but I have no idea since it seems a joystick would be better.

Admittedly Grimlen is best for getting OMG ITEMS, though I personally find the options to be nigh-useless.

Karte is pretty (Like that matters these days, bah) but she's also terrible for getting items ;_;

As for survival I almost barely manage to get to the stage with that spider and things. I don't even remember which one that was but usually after that I go kaput.
WARNING: TARGET APPROACHING!!
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Reached Infernon several times, even with a spare life...
...and that's where my concentration falls apart. I can perfect him in practice, but once it's the real run it's all panic bombing and stupid deaths.
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Infernon's pretty much a permanent wall for me, so Dimahoo is mainly a game of "Let's see how high I can get my score before Infernon".