Any high-scoring Kingdom Grandprix replays?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Any high-scoring Kingdom Grandprix replays?

Post by BIL »

Are there any high-level KGP / Shippu Mahou videos (or .inps) online? Youtube has a Bulgin 2-ALL, but the racing seems ignored at times. My limited Nico search netted only a Miyamoto 1-ALL. Just trying to get an idea of WR-calibre play... got a severe love/apathy thing with this game!
saucykobold

Re: Any high-scoring Kingdom Grandprix replays?

Post by saucykobold »

I checked several Asian replay sites and came up empty. MARP has two 2-ALLs, including a 1,294,404 run with Miyamoto.

Edit: There's a Nirvana 1-ALL on this site (needs vanilla MAME 0.62).
BIL

Post by BIL »

Cheers Saucy - glad my fuzzy Nico searching wan't entirely to blame. :smile:

Sounds like those runs might downplay racing too; The YT Bulgin is a million or so behind the character's WR as well iirc.

I wonder if suiciding for bombs / rank control is present here.
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

I love this game so much it hurts. KGP and Border Down are probably the two I'd most like to see WR-level superplays for. Well and Psy 2 and Revision too, although I think those exist, I just haven't seen them. :(

I'm working on scoreplaying this game and I'm pretty much doing what that Youtube guy is doing. Not because I just copied him but because I tested all this stuff out and it must make sense since it converged completely. Then I read the old threads where everyone says it's too bad Miyamoto is clearly the best, got a hoot out of that. (Not picking on them at all, old tech is just like that.)

I'm not entirely sure where the million comes from myself. Probably like the once great Batrider mystery, it's just more milking. Pretty sure you can score more by milking than racing. Also the racing bonus is constant per position, so once you get in 1st and close doors behind you, you can take as long as you want and still get 1st. But anyway at this stage my goal is just to make second loop (requires enough racing to finish in 1st overall), then survival once in the loop.

About suiciding, this isn't a Yagawa game, don't think there's much of a point. Rank control is based on picking up coins and powerups like in Mahou Daisakusen. If you want to survive (like the Youtube guy) you avoid them, if you're going for top-level scores you rank way up. I mean, that's like any game, you rank up for score, rank down for survival.

Final note: I think speedrunning this game would be pretty fun and hilarious, and a lot more viable than most shmups of course.
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/
BIL

Post by BIL »

I think you're right about racing vs milking. It's too bad the former seems a bit secondary once the loop is reached, if this is really the case. This could've been the genre's own Wacky Races with a few tweaks. :)
MathU

Post by MathU »

I've never managed to complete the second loop of this game. The 4th or 5th stage becomes absolutely brutal. I've been wondering for a while now if there's some sort of point bonus for 1st place on the 2nd loop. I don't even bother trying to win races on the 2nd because staying alive is tough enough.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Wanna be in my new grind band? We're called Severe Apathy.

Ed: we play covers of this exclusively.
BIL

Post by BIL »

OMG. That sounds somewhat upgraded, nice bass. You don't have either the stage or boss "Forest of Dead!" BGMs anywhere, do you?

edit: nm, got it.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I'm afraid not, mate, but I can sort you out with BridgeM1 and stuff, if that'd be any good to you?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Just got the M1 rip. :] Sounds like it's the same, very nice in any case. I should probably dig up my Souky O. disc at some point.

God, "Divided By Zero" rocks. Or "Devided" as Batrider endearingly calls it.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I should probably dig up my Souky O. disc at some point.
You mean for music ripping, or something? I've got it here, and haven't got a clue about anything like that, but I could give it a go with a few directions...
BIL

Post by BIL »

Actually, from a quick search, I think it's the Saturn KGP disc that has the OST in redbook audio... not sure if Souky (either one) does too? It'd be fairly simple to rip the redbook wth EAC or a similar program. I might give it a go if I end up buying the Saturn port this month.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I'll investigate and report back. I'm on jury service for another couple of days (this is approximately 19000000000% more tedious and draining than it sounds), but I should be able to take a swatch soon enough.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Ya know, I don't think I've ever even heard of someone trying to race in the second loop. Around stage 4 one hit basically ends your run unless you're very lucky. It's been a while, so I'm probably wrong, but I believe the AI gets better/more aggressive at racing as well.
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

Souky has redbook audio for Souky, Mahou Daisakusen, and Battle Garegga. I have lots of mp3s for shmups including these (more convenient than m1), but they're easy enough to find online.

But yeah, KGP music rules so hard, my favorite Iwata/Sakimoto work -- all the boss themes in particular are incredible. AFAIK Mahou Daisakusen and Dimahoo got official OSTs, but not KGP. I think my mp3s come from the redbook.

Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I've just ripped everything EAC detected on the Soukyugurentai Otokuyo disc, but it's just the Mahou Daisakusen, KGP and Garegga soundtracks. I can still upload those, though, if they'd be of any use to you. They're unlabelled, mind.

The Souky soundtrack itself must be in a different format, I suppose. I don't know anything about this stuff. Sorry!
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

No worries! Thanks for checking it out; I've got those OSTs in various formats, but cheers anyway.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Nae bother! I listen to this stuff with BridgeM1 - wish there was some sort of Raizing soundtrack collection, like the Darius Premium Box. One that didn't cost both kidneys, I mean. :P
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

Klatrymadon wrote:I've just ripped everything EAC detected on the Soukyugurentai Otokuyo disc, but it's just the Mahou Daisakusen, KGP and Garegga soundtracks. I can still upload those, though, if they'd be of any use to you. They're unlabelled, mind.

The Souky soundtrack itself must be in a different format, I suppose. I don't know anything about this stuff. Sorry!
No I'm sorry, I just checked again, you're right. There's redbook MD, KGP, and Garegga. I was confused because it does start off with some tracks from Souky in redbook, but apparently only two. The in-game music is in another format. The Souky music I have is from this release.