Bombjack Twin owners chime in please

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
neorichieb1971

Bombjack Twin owners chime in please

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I just got this PCB but the service menu isn't working by pressing the service button in my New astro city. There are no dips to speak of. The game plays upside down by default so I guess that means I got another dodgy board?

Can someone who owns the PCB tell me if there is a different way in the service menu or if its just the usual way, which means my shit don't work.

Cheers,

Richie.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Magic Knight

Re: Bombjack Twin owners chime in please

Post by Magic Knight »

There are two sets of DIP switches on the board. The eighth switch on set A changes the screen orientation.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Got it. Thanks mate. Thats 3 people in the last 30 minutes that have told me. Didn't see the dips tbh. I thought the games of 92-93 were bios controlled.. my bad.

Onto another matter, what is your dip config? No matter what I choose the game seems to be hard as nails, to the point of being unenjoyable.

I was expecting Spectrum 48k bombjack with better visuals, I got that, but within 1 minute of play the bad guys are zipping around like they are on drugs and they respawn so quickly. The P coin that whizzes around is your only saviour on every level, which I find a bit monotonous. As for only getting the lit bombs.. lmao.

So whats your dip setting?

I set mine for 3 lives, easy, freeplay, and it kicks my arse all over the place. Highest level 2.1. Longest game, less than 3 minutes.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Magic Knight

Post by Magic Knight »

My settings are for normal difficulty, 3 lives. I can get all lit bombs for about 7 or 8 rounds fairly easily, but after that it gets more difficult. My high score is 832,700.

It takes a lot of practice, but you do eventually get used to it, there are very specific patterns you can follow which make it easier.