Exzisus

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Mero

Exzisus

Post by Mero »

A high score thread for Taito's decent 1987 effort, Exzisus

1 credit only, all defaults etc. State which version. NOTE: The version on Taito Legends and Taito Memories is Japan Conversion.

Code: Select all

NAME - SCORE - STAGE
JAPAN DEDICATED

1. HAN -      1,034,860 - 2-4
2. iast -       883,090 - 2-3
3. maximo -     856,090 - 2-3
4. Nifty -      853,460 - 2-3
JAPAN CONVERSION

1. Mero -     1,850,610 - 2-3
2. iast -     1,610,440 - 2-4
3. Dale -       568,020 - 1-4
4. Despatche -  419,970 - 1-3
Last edited by Mero on Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:07 am, edited 21 times in total.
Mero

Re: Exzisus

Post by Mero »

Mero - 784,510 - 2-1

This run was no miss until the final boss, then I proceeded to lose all my lives against him and just managed to beat him on my last life.

The second loop is unusual in that it doesn't just feature more bullets but more enemies as well. I only made it as far as the "Meteorita Zone"
Mero

Post by Mero »

Broke a million

Mero - 1,044,500 - 2-2
Last edited by Mero on Mon May 30, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Dale-568,020-4
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Mero - 1,242,920 - 2-3

2-3 boss is really hard
Mero

Post by Mero »

Mero - 1,485,520 - 2-3

Mero

Post by Mero »

Still didn't beat the 2-3 boss but improved my score a bit

Mero - 1,797,070 - 2-3

Mero

Post by Mero »

From months ago, may as well throw it up now

Mero - 1,850,610 - 2-3

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

I got an itchin' for some twitchin'

Nifty - 714,120 - 2-2 (MAME)
No autofire used!

How are you getting so many points by that stage, Mero? I must be missing something.
Live to fly, fly to live, it's all very orthodox
Mero

Post by Mero »

One of the main reasons my score is so high is because I can't beat the 2-3 boss, and the checkpoint before him is the most lucrative in the game. Those indestructible things you have to fly through before you face the boss, shoot them with the lazer as long as possible for a significant point increase. The score I most recently posted was no miss until the 2-3 boss.

The other main tip I'd give would be to play with the laser all the time, yes it doesn't have as much coverage as the 3-way but it slices through absolutely everything and is much better for milking the milkable stuff in the game too. If you're quick you can get some extra points off those worms on stage 2 before they break up.

Congrats on the 1st loop clear anyway, I think a lot of people get stuck on 1-4
iast

Post by iast »

What version of this is everyone playing? I'm guessing the Japanese dedicated version, but there's also a US conversion I'm seeing that changes things like missiles not moving to the background or enemies spawning from holes, and that's the version the PS2 Taito Legends port appears to use when I was trying this out yesterday.
Mero

Post by Mero »

I was playing the version on PS2 Taito Memeories 2 Joukan, which is the Japanese version. The US version must have had a few tweaks. Don't worry about it if you ever come to post a score for this, unless you think the changes make a major difference?
iast

Post by iast »

iast -524,950 - 2-1 (MAME)

Got my first 1cc this morning! As for differences between the original JP and US conversions, there are a couple though I dunno as of yet how much of an impact if any they make on scoring.

-As mentioned previously, your missiles do not travel to the background, nor are there spawn holes there they can target. Missile power-ups work different too, they can be upgraded to travel along the ground and then again to turn into homing missiles.
-Spawns differ in a couple spots. The biggest difference in this regard is that some enemies in the US version spawn on the left side, whereas they always come from the right in the JP version.
-The US version's "Meteorita Zone" in stage 1 doesn't have the meteors in the background but seems to spawn more meteors overall than the JP version.
-The bird and dog options in the JP version die after taking one hit, whereas in the US version they appear to be invulnerable.
-The break-a-part worms in stage 2 are absent in the JP version.
iast

Post by iast »

iast - 729,720 - 2-2 (MAME)

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

The US version also has dedicated powerup carriers, and what looks like some kind of side ship charge attack. They're really quite different: JP / US

The JP version has fewer scoring elements and is a lot faster-paced, making the spread shot much more important. Picking up the laser too far from a boss usually gets me killed :( Even with both helpers it's very difficult not to miss out on formation bonuses.
iast

Post by iast »

Yeah, there's definitely some scoring differences going on. I clear 1-1 of the JP version with around 70-72k on average and in the US version I can break 100k before getting to the boss.

I've been sticking with laser in the JP version as much as possible per Mero's advice. The only place I need to switch to spread shot is with the waves of silver ships in the second half of stage 3, way too spread out for me to get them all without it.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Ok i think the version ive been playing must be tge US version after all. Will elaborate more when i,m on a computer
iast

Post by iast »

iast - 1,004,580 - 2-2 (MAME - Japan, conversion)

Finally got a 1cc on the "conversion" version of the game, aka the "US" version we've been discussing. There's two main types of ROMs I'm seeing in MAME, one is the "dedicated" version which I was playing previously, and the conversion is the one with the additional scoring elements and the one that's used in Taito Legends, and I'm sure Memories as well. I was at 802k after killing the 1-4 boss on this run, which easily beats my 2-2 dedicated score.

I'm thinking we might be needing separate lists for each version, but I'll leave that up to you.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Yeah, the version on Taito memories is exactly how you guys are describing the US version. I'd never seen that version in the linked video before.

Yeah the table will have to be split, with that difference in scoring potential.
iast

Post by iast »

iast - 1,610,440 - 2-4 (US version)

I was bored this morning and wanted to use my TV for once. I made it to the final boss but I died at the last checkpoint before him and all that would drop for me was spread shot.
iast

Post by iast »

And since I was super duper bored today, here's a PB on the JP version.

iast - 883,090 - 2-3

Mero

Post by Mero »

Congrats on beating 2-3, I can't get past that boss at all. :/
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

okay so there's:

-japan dedicated
-japan conversion
-release by TAD

japan conversion with the segment worms/no background/etc is what is known as "Exzisus (Japan)" in older mame, don't know how far forward it goes

Japan conversion
Despatche - 419,970 - 1-3

no autofire, hand hurts. cool game though.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Based on score, I suspect Dale's run was done on the conversion as well
iast

Post by iast »

I think it might be better to refer to them in the score tables as dedicated or conversion in order to avoid any confusion, and just to keep in mind that the Memories/Legends ports use the conversion.

Also welcome to the party Despatche. It does feel like a workout on the fingers at first, but grabbing the rapid-fire powerup (Yellow F pod) definitely helps in that regard.
Mero

Post by Mero »

OK, I'll rename them as Japan Dedicated and Japan Conversion (ignoring the TAD release for now). I'll also move Dale's score to the correct table.

Thanks for the info guys
iast

Post by iast »

I haven't done much with the game recently aside from firing up a credit now and then when I can't think of what else to play, but today I tried something on a whim and discovered that the bosses have tick points and that they can time out, which is roughly 2:30. Basically, any "core" on a boss after it is destroyed can be milked (only applies to stage 1 and 2 bosses since they have two cores), as can any part of their body that shoots projectiles, regardless if its still shooting or not. From my understanding, the tick points on a boss are:

Stage 1 - Forehead/chest cores, mouth and abdomen turrets
Stage 2 - Eyes/abdomen cores
Stage 3 - Mouth turret (under weak point), Tail(?)
Stage 4 - Mouth turret, turrets on body segments (ones that fire the ripple lasers)

Just as an example, here's after milking the stage 1 boss, and before the 10k from killing it is applied. I had 87.3k before the boss so I squeezed an extra 25k off of him. With more practiced/aggressive milking you could probably get 28-30k off of him alone.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I tested this on conversion, but dedicated should work the same.
Last edited by iast on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Yeah I realised tat you could milk the boss parts after they'd been destroyed for some extra points. I never used to bother though, I couldn't get more than an extra 3 or 4 thousand out of the first boss, plus I'd always be scared that the boss would time out if I did it too long. Obviously my technique isn't very good.

Looks like you killed him just as he was timing out from your picture.
iast

Post by iast »

Correct. I can also confirm that milking works in dedicated as well.

For the first boss, I find it more consistent/safer if you keep shooting his forehead after you knock out the core there. If you try going for his mouth or abdomen, sometimes his movements will cause you to shoot his chest instead.
Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Impulsive credit I played a while ago:

Nifty - 853,460 - 2-3 (MAME, Dedicated, No Auto)

No surprises about where I died