RQ: Raystorm help

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
The Expanding Man

RQ: Raystorm help

Post by The Expanding Man »

I've just picked up the Japanese PCB.

This game is challenging. I have a few queries.

For the Jamma version (and I haven't played any other versions), you have the choice between Auto and Manual. I have been using Auto, and simply holding down the fire button. The game automatically shoots the guided missiles when the target box moves over the bad dudes.

Is there anything to gain by switching to the manual mode?

I've only had a couple of plays, but I suspect target priority plays a big role in this game - taking out the real nasties before they have the chance to strike, and in doing so, foregoing other targets.

Am I on the right track?

changed topic title in accordance with forum rules /mod
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Raystorm help

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The 411 on Raystorm PCB:

If you do end up selecting "Manual" option before the start of a new Raystorm gaming session, you'll find out that you have the option of launching "homing lasers" at the ground-based enemies on your own terms (as opposed to the CPU handling that task for you automatically if "Auto" mode is selected at the beginning of a serious gaming session). Try it out and find out for yourself what Taito's RS PCB all has to offer.

Yeah, I've got a USA region Raystorm PCB and it's ace. Tis a shame that Taito of America (ToA) subsidairy closed down after this very last USA region Raystorm PCB release so the next big Taito arcade motherboard release was the Taito G-Net, the successor to the earlier Taito FX-1B mobo setup (that the RS PCB is based on). Otherwise, it would be safe to assume that ToA would've distributed the G-Net mobo and pretty much most of the Taito G-Card based software titles easily stateside.

A RS PCB sure sounds awesome in stereo with it's cool CD-quality 44.1kHz sound output with the Zuntata BGM tunes. Of course, that entails using an optional 4-pin based Taito stereo harness adapter with an candy cab or Supergun setup. Plus you have to slide the single switch on the FX-1B mobo to Stereo output mode rather than have it set to Mono sound output mode to reap the superior audio benefits indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Zeether

Re: Raystorm help

Post by Zeether »

You're supposed to lock on to multiple enemies at once for more points, and judging from what you say about auto it's pretty much not a good idea if you want to go for score.

Also you can shoot down air enemies with lock ons as well.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: RQ: Raystorm help

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Sometimes if you lock-on to a group of enemies, a power-up or 1up appears...grab them before they vanish for your own benefit.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
EPS21

Re: RQ: Raystorm help

Post by EPS21 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Sometimes if you lock-on to a group of enemies, a power-up or 1up appears...grab them before they vanish for your own benefit.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
I thought this game didn't have any 1ups? I've seen a lot of replays too. Care to elaborate?

Is it a PCB only thing, cause I've only played the ports.